PDA

View Full Version : If i have two registries, how do i determine what items to put on which one?

gityws123
07-18-2013, 10:25 PM
I would like to register at buy buy baby and Amazon to account for those who prefer in store shopping and those who prefer online shopping. Both sources contain all the same items and have tons of selection. So how do I decide what to put on each registry? Should certain types of items go on Amazon and others go on buy buy baby? Should i just create the same registry in two different places? But then i risk get lots of duplicates. I am a FTM and i just don't know the best approach. Any help would be appreciated!

wellyes
07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
I would not put duplicate items. I'd make sure to have a range of prices at each place.

specialp
07-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Agree. No duplicates and a range of prices, but I would start with the amazon and make sure the things you are registered for there are eligible for free super shipping.

jam224
07-18-2013, 11:42 PM
I registered at both when I was pregnant. For me, I knew my family preferred to shop in store, so I put the bulk of my registry on BBB. If you think you'll have equal interest, I agree with the PPs.

BBB is awesome about their returns, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. (I had to return something that wasn't on my registry and I didn't have a receipt for it, and they gave me zero hassle. Love them!) Good luck!

georgiegirl
07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Part of me says to register for duplicates (of smaller items) if you aren't sure that everything will be purchased. You can always return to BBB and get store credit to use later. There will always be more stuff you need.

AnnieW625
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
:yeahthat:

We registered at Target, BRUS, and Pottery Barn Kids. We ended up with more stuff from Target and PBK vs. BRUS, but that was based on what was convenient for the guests. In Nor Cal at the time suprisingly PBK and Target for my guests were more convenient than BRUS (it is still kind of that way, but not quite as bad anymore). Where as in So Cal all three options were fairly easy, but we still got more from Target and PBK than BRUS.

I registered for more specialty items like car seats and strollers from BRUS because they had a better selection for those things. Everything else it just depended on what I liked at each store.

llama8
07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I had a dual registry at Buy Buy Baby and Babies r' us. Different stores were convenient for different family members. i made sure each store had a range of big ticket to small items, but I did not duplicate items (unless I needed two). I put more big ticket items at BRU because I knew most of my family would shop there. I also found the prints I liked for carseat and strollers and BRU and BBB had different prints, so I registered for those items at the store with the print I liked.

lizzywednesday
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Agree. No duplicates and a range of prices, but I would start with the amazon and make sure the things you are registered for there are eligible for free super shipping.

:yeahthat:

I registered on Amazon and at Target.

I put the bulk of my wish list on the Amazon registry but specific items that I wanted in particular patterns on the Target registry, like the Pack-n-Play (didn't care what model, but wanted a particular pattern, KWIM?)

The reason I used the Amazon registry for the bulk of the items was because of their "Universal Registry" feature - with that, I could keep all the oddball things, like the wrap-carrier I wanted, in place without having to keep track of a million other registries. Some people don't like this feature because the purchased items are not covered by Amazon's policies, but I think that maybe they weren't paying attention to what the button actually does.

As for my elderly relatives, mostly they don't follow the registry and give whatever makes them happy anyway, so I didn't worry so long as I remembered to send them a "thank you" note.

jenstring95
07-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Could you just create a registry at Amazon and have someone spread the word that gift givers can buy the gift anywhere and then remove it themselves from the Amazon list? I love this option - the buyer just clicks on the button that says something like "purchased elsewhere" and verifies it in an email that Amazon sends him/her.