PDA

View Full Version : Ipad or Ipad mini

MrsZaz
07-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Anyone have both an ipad AND and ipad mini? Which do you prefer?

Need to replace our car dvd player so I was thinking about getting an ipad instead. Can't decide between the ipad and ipad mini. Also, if I don't have at&t or Verizon, I don't need to look at the Wifi 3g option, Correct?

I am so confused.

Colleen

georgiegirl
07-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Currently only the iPad has retina display. I had the iPad 2 but upgraded to the new one in the spring (DH has the old one), and I can tell a big difference in the display. Personally I would wait until the mini has retina display before considering it. That should be sometime this fall. I only have wifi, not 3G.

crl
07-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I had the original iPad and now have the mini. Love my mini, it's the perfect size for taking along and I don't miss the bigger screen at all. But for video, I think the full size would be better. I don't watch video on it so not an issue for me, but if that was a main purpose of it, I think I would choose the full size.

You can get the data plan for the iPad on a month to month basis. I have that capability on my original and only used it two or three times in two years--we would sign up for one month when on vacation. My mini doesn't have it and I don't miss it. I have an iPhone so I can always check email on it. And airports and such have free wifi anyway.

Catherine

almostamom
07-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I have the mini at home and the regular ipad at school. I like the mini. It fits in my purse. We take it everywhere. We took it to the Grand Canyon 2 weeks ago so DS could take his own pictures. We only have wifi and it hasn't been a problem so far. I also have an iphone to check email and get on the internet if we need to.

codex57
07-19-2013, 12:35 AM
DW can't live without the Retina display.

I prefer the size. The mini is a great size for many people. To me, I like the relatively giant size of the regular iPad. Plus the Retina display.

We've never seen the need for 3G.

lhafer
07-19-2013, 12:53 AM
We have both, and the mini is for our girls mainly. It has the good cover on it, it's a great size for them to handle, etc. The regular Ipad is a big large for them to handle easily. They are 3 and 7. I personally prefer the Retina display of the regular Ipad, but our girls don't care or don't know the difference. So if it's mainly for your kids and the car - I would go with a mini. But I would probably try to wait until this fall when the Ipad Mini with Retina display will probably be announced/revealed.

MrsZaz
07-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. Off to see what kind of deals I can find!

I am leaning towards an Ipad for the screen size...but they are also happy watching movies on their Itouchs...maybe a mini...

blueperidot
07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
We have both and I much prefer the size of the mini. If you can, I'd wait a few months as I'm sure the fall will bring new models and discounts on the current ones.

SASM
07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I had the original iPad and now have the mini. Love my mini, it's the perfect size for taking along and I don't miss the bigger screen at all. But for video, I think the full size would be better. I don't watch video on it so not an issue for me, but if that was a main purpose of it, I think I would choose the full size.

You can get the data plan for the iPad on a month to month basis. I have that capability on my original and only used it two or three times in two years--we would sign up for one month when on vacation. My mini doesn't have it and I don't miss it. I have an iPhone so I can always check email on it. And airports and such have free wifi anyway.

Catherine
:yeahthat:

pastrygirl
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
I far prefer the size of the mini. I've never used an iPad with retina display, so I don't know what I'm missing. This one is just fine to me. :) Someday I'll discover the difference and upgrade to the mini with retina. I don't think I'll ever want the full-sized iPad. It's too big for my purse.

BUT. My mini screen shattered after a <12" fall onto a rug, and I sont know if its because of the slimmer bezel or something like that. The original iPad might be more durable. I've never had a device screen shatter.