PDA

View Full Version : POR with the Murphy bed...storage for stuff?

KrisM
07-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Has anyone stayed in the room since they moved to a Murphy bed instead of the trundle? I've looked at pictures and there doesn't seem to be much storage for luggage, etc. How do you think it is? We'd have 5 of us and be there a week.

egoldber
07-19-2013, 08:37 AM
DH always uses the luggage holder in the hotel room and loves out of his suitcase. I unpack me and the girls into the dresser and store the luggage on the floor of the closet.

This is what I always do in hotels.

KrisM
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
DH always uses the luggage holder in the hotel room and loves out of his suitcase. I unpack me and the girls into the dresser and store the luggage on the floor of the closet.

This is what I always do in hotels.

It looks like the Murphy bed is the luggage holder, so you'd have to move the suitcases to sleep. There seem to be 3 deep-ish drawers under the Murphy bed, but no real dresser that I am seeing. There is a closet rod in the bathroom with a shelf over it, so I could hang some things.

egoldber
07-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Underneath the closet rod in the closet is a lot of floor space. You can't really tell in the floor plan or the photos.

The closet is "open" there is no door to it.

By luggage holder I meant one of the folding metal luggage holders that almost all hotel rooms have. DH just sets his suitcase on that in the room. It would be odd if there wasn't one, there usually is.

And yes, I often hang up t-shirts in hotel rooms just for more space.

Smillow
07-19-2013, 09:55 AM
I have used one of these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115578/#/90096164) (from Ikea) at Coronado Springs to increase storage space - it worked great for DS's clothes and my underthings.

hellokitty
07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
We were there in dec. The three drawers underneath the bed do not make up for the loss of the dresser at other mod resorts. We bring two hanging shirt organizers with us and hang them in the open closet next to the sink. Our luggage is stored under there too and we did keep our large LLB rolling duffel on the stoop by the a/c unit under the window. Stroller was up against the wall by the bed closest to the exit. Just make sure the shirt organizers you buy aren't cheapy, or else they won't hold up well (the part that attaches to the closet rail) and will snap/break. I also brought a hanging shoe organizer for small stuff and it was useful.

Hemlock
07-20-2013, 11:36 AM
We stayed at POR in March. We are also a family of five and it wasn't too bad. FWIW, we were travelling with a baby, so we also had a stroller and a pack and play in our room. There is a large space near the front door for suitcases and also a large space space near the sink (under the curtain rod). You could also stuff a suitcase under the sink if need be. We love Port Orleans.

KrisM
07-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks. It sounds like if we plan right, it would be fine. We're still working on it, but I'm leaning towards POR right now.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2013, 11:53 PM
POR is so much cheaper than other resorts that it just blows my mind. We end up staying there 75% of the time.

KrisM
07-21-2013, 06:53 AM
POR is so much cheaper than other resorts that it just blows my mind. We end up staying there 75% of the time.

That is the thing. Even going with a preferred room, it's at least $1k less than anything else. I think of all the other things that $1k could be spent on...

ETA: I do start thinking a second bathroom and more space would be nice at a All Star suite :)