PDA

View Full Version : Cleaners for granite and Stainless

Twoboos
07-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Can anyone recommend a cleaner for granite and stainless steel? They don't both have to be the same one. ;)

I searched and someone referenced a homemade granite cleaner with alcohol, anyone have feedback and a link on that? Is it really OK for sealed granite? I used to use 50/50 vinegar/water with a few drops of tea tree but I don't know if I want to treat my brand new shiny granite to that. :D

Also, for SS, is there a special cloth I can use, like microfiber, to just wipe of the fingerprints? I thought microfiber would work but it doesn't seem to. Maybe I need to scrub more.

lovin2shop
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I usually use the Method cleaners, one labeled for Granite and one for SS. I do like them, but will be watching this thread for other ideas. Do not use vinegar on any natural stone, it can cause etching. SS is the trickier of the two since the finishes are different on different brands; what works on one may streak on another. I have gone through a lot of trial and error. We do have some SS wipes, can't remember brand though. They are great for a quick clean, but sometimes can cause streaking. I haven't had luck with just microfiber.

truly scrumptious
07-19-2013, 02:08 PM
We use an alcohol-based cleaner for the granite countertops (50% alcohol, 50% water and a couple of drops of dish soap, in a spray bottle.) Avoid vinegar or anything too acidic.

For the SS, I just used an all-purpose cleaner - either Mrs. Meyers or a homemade vinegar concoction.

keh602
07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
We love the Method granite cleaner. I have some stainless wipes I use occasionally, but usually I use a homemade all-purpose cleaner.

cuca_
07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Another vote for the Method granite cleaner. I don't like their SS cleaner though. I like Hope's Perfect Stainless or Weiman for Stainless Steel.

erosenst
07-19-2013, 10:45 PM
For granite, buy a bunch of microfiber cloths at Costco or Amazon. Use a clean one frequently, and just use water. Gets literally everything off without leaving residue. The friction kills germs. Rotating frequently prevents any cross contamination. I've done this for 7 years and counters still look great. Only issue is when my husband or guests insist on using 'just a little' soap... Takes a day or two to get all the residue off.

I've tried everything (I thought) on stainless and never found anything great... Until I tried the Weiman wipes. You do have to 'buff' afterwards but then fingerprints etc are somehow repelled/much easier to get off with a microfiber cloth for a week or so. I couldn't find locally but got from Amazon.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typing errors I've made, and auto correct 'fixes' I missed.

Binkandabee
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Granite Gold makes a very good daily cleaner and a polish that we've used for years. We use the granite gold combined with a microfiber cloth and our counter tops are always clean and shiny.

I also second the weiman wipes. We use those combined with a microfiber buff afterwards and our stainless appliances hardly ever show fingerprints. It's truly amazing stuff! m Everything else we've tried leaved streaks on our appliances.

Sweetum
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
For granite, buy a bunch of microfiber cloths at Costco or Amazon. Use a clean one frequently, and just use water. Gets literally everything off without leaving residue. The friction kills germs. Rotating frequently prevents any cross contamination. I've done this for 7 years and counters still look great. Only issue is when my husband or guests insist on using 'just a little' soap... Takes a day or two to get all the residue off.

I've tried everything (I thought) on stainless and never found anything great... Until I tried the Weiman wipes. You do have to 'buff' afterwards but then fingerprints etc are somehow repelled/much easier to get off with a microfiber cloth for a week or so. I couldn't find locally but got from Amazon.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typing errors I've made, and auto correct 'fixes' I missed.

So, do you need to rub hard to get the germs killed or is wiping off enough friction? and I am assuming this trick works with microfiber only, not with kitchen paper towels. ETA: also, do you need to wet the microfiber cloth or spraying water and then using a wet or dry cloth is what does it? thanks!
I have been using a 50%/50% water/vinegar solution with a few drops of soap for the last one year. Didn't know that it was not good for granite. I'll stop it. But aren't you all concerned about using alcohol and spraying it? Is it rubbing alcohol? thanks.

Sweetum
07-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Anyone? Thanks.

amandabea
07-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Here is the link to the homemade granite cleaner that someone else posted some time ago. I've been using it for about a year and it is awesome!
http://m.mamacheaps.com/2011/03/homemade-granite-cleaner-on-the-cheap-also-used-for-cabinets-sinks-or-any-non-porus-surface.html

erosenst
07-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry... Just saw this. The microfiber and water works because of friction. The lack of cross contamination helps too, as, the microfiber somehow traps some stuff rather than spreading it.

I use it with one part JUST damp, and the rest dry. I use the wet followed by the dry.

Twoboos
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Here is the link to the homemade granite cleaner that someone else posted some time ago. I've been using it for about a year and it is awesome!
http://m.mamacheaps.com/2011/03/homemade-granite-cleaner-on-the-cheap-also-used-for-cabinets-sinks-or-any-non-porus-surface.html

Thanks for posting this! It must have been what I was thinking of when I originally posted. Although, I would have remembered the vodka option - it would make cleaning more fun, LOL. :rotflmao:

I wonder if there's a natural recipe for SS, too.

zukeypur
07-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I won't have granite until next week, so I'm no help there. I use furniture polish on my stainless. It was recommended by the salesman, the installer, and I read it online recently as well. I've used both pledge and almond oil, and I've read that baby oil works well too. I have a GE Advantium micro hood, a Frigidaire range, a Samsung Fridge, and a Bosch dishwasher and it works well on all of them. The Frigidaire has a fingerprint resistant finish but the others don't. Of course, the Frigidaire looks the best, but I swear by furniture polish for all of my stainless.

Twoboos
07-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to say I tried using olive oil on the SS today. I poured a little (maybe a teaspoon?) onto a cut-up tshirt, rubbed it on and wiped with a dry tshirt. Oh my! It looks great now! Cheap, easy and no chemicals.

kcimato
08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I also use the recipe Amanda posted, in fact I think that is where I got it from. It's the best. Works on windows also.