PDA

View Full Version : Joint birthday party question

westwoodmom04
07-19-2013, 01:07 PM
DS was invited to a joint birthday party for an old preschool friend and a friend of that boy at his new school (different school than my son will be attending). We have never met the other child. Nonetheless, should I be bringing a present for that child? Not sure that its relevant but it is a ridiculously huge party (well over 50 people have RSVP'd yes on evite.

kristenk
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I would just take a present for the child you know and call it a day, especially since you don't even know the other child in passing.

SnuggleBuggles
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I'd probably take a card and tuck in either some stickers or a $5 gc. Though, you're right, the huge-ness of the party does throw it some. I could see not taking anything for the one you don't know. I think I'd feel awkward doing that though.

carolinacool
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I would just take for the child you know. Last year, DS was invited to a joint birthday party for a day care classmate and her older sister and I only took one gift. It never occurred to me really to take one for her sister. I think I had seen her sister a couple of times during pickup, but I couldn't pick her out of a lineup before the party.

kdeunc
07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Present for the child you know. I have had joint parties for my sons and would never have expected a gift for both unless the person was friend with them both. For unrelated kids it would not occur to me to bring a gift for a kid I did not know. I would feel bad if someone I didn't know brought my kid a gift.

westwoodmom04
07-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback, I'm off to buy one present. It really is a unusual situation, I've never even seen this other child before.

Binkandabee
07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Agreed, just a gift for the child you know. If you even knew the other child in passing, that would be different. But if the first time you've seen or met him is through this party, I think it's fine to forgo a gift.

YouAreTheFocus
07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I agree, gift just for the one child. DS had a joint bday party with a preschool friend, and ppl brought gifts for the child they were connected to.

ZeeBaby
07-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Definitely only for the child you know. We did a joint bday party for our daughters and I did not expect gifts for both kids at all.

KrisM
07-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I think it's weird that it's a joint invitation for kids one birthday child doesn't know. We did a joint party for DS1 and DD at a local gym. I sent invitations out for DS1's party and for DD's party. No one knew they were joint until they came and saw the happy birthday sign with 2 names on it and then I explained both were my kids :).

But, I'd do 1 gift for the one you know.

ZeeBaby
07-19-2013, 05:59 PM
I agree with KrisM. I sent out separate invitations for each DD. no one even knew it was a joint party until they got there.