PDA

View Full Version : When will work stop being the most important thing to you?

Still-in-Shock
07-19-2013, 04:37 PM
DH was at a conference for work all week, and flew home last night. I was happy that he would finally get to go to an ultrasound for our baby. He had to work the other during the other 2. After the ultrasound, our carrier had a doctor's appt. to review the results, which we could also attend, and then he and I had an appt with the head of labor and delivery at the hospital where the baby will be born.

So the radiology dept is running late, and after the ultrasound, DH starts getting antsy because he has a meeting this afternoon. I said, call them to let them know you are running late. And then I get a whole story about people's schedules and how everyone was already working around him.

Well, D1c<he@d, what about MY schedule? And how many people get to talk to a hospital dept. head about the birth of their child? And how many women would let another woman carry a baby for them?

So we rush through the meeting, don't get a tour to find out where we will be, we leave the hospital without knowing whose last name will be on the baby's bracelet (because of insurance)., and without knowing if we need to preregister. But I did find out that the surrogate doesn't want us in the delivery room, which is her perogative. And that she doesn't plan to visit the baby after it's born. I am still processing that I had to hear this from the hospital, instead of from her.

In the car, he calls work to say he will be late, and then gets mad because I am pointing out where to go to exit the hospital. And then he wants to talk about the ultrasound. Sorry, dear, I'm glad your baby is healthy, but there is a lot of stuff that you are dumping in my lap, and I just lost my chance to get that done.

I feel like telling him to install the nursery in his office.

hillview
07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
i am so so sorry that is pretty lousy!

Philly Mom
07-19-2013, 07:34 PM
That sucks. DD is definitely the most important thing to DH but he used to act similar. He has no patience for doctors and waits so I don't really include him in planning and tell him if he is going to come how he has to behave. Now when he comes, he insists on being praised for being patient. It is frustrating.

georgiegirl
07-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Sorry that he's not more focused on the baby.

FWIW, The only time DH has ever been to the OB with me was for the big ultrasounds at 20 weeks. With DS, he did attend my 40 week appointment because he had already taken off. I know it's not because he doesn't care, but he just has so much going on at work. I think men bond best with baby once he/she arrives.

MamaMolly
07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry, it hurts when our DHs aren't on the same parenting page. To answer your question work is still #1 for my DH. It is and has been really hard for me, especially now that we have kids. I just expected his focus to shift to family when we started having kids but it hasn't. He's now coming to realize that he has sacraficed a LOT for work and he's not (currently) seeing the payoff in promotions etc so this is an interesting time for him. For me it's like watching him find out that his mistress has taken another lover. Boo-hoo. :rolleyes:

Still-in-Shock
07-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone! In some ways, I'm glad I'm not alone. Today he finished painting the nursery, and kept asking for compliments. Really? "Yes, dear, the room does look very nice, but I am already moving on to the next step", as I am moving everything that can go on a shelf into the closet.:rolleye0014: I would probably have been more grateful if he had finished 2 weeks ago, when I wanted this done.