PDA

View Full Version : Roku vs Apple TV vs DVD player that has similar capabilities?

cookiemonster80
07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Help me with this for DH's birthday gift- I'm so technically challenged and want to get the right thing. We don't have cable and don't watch sports much- we mainly watch movies/shows on Amazon, or Netflix or DVDs we already have. We already have a blu ray player that only has netflix capabilities (got it just before Amazon prime was a good thing- grrr) and we don't need a Wii or anything like that. My understanding is the below:

Roku- plays netflix, amazon, maybe hulu and other stuff too?? Plus has its own channels of stuff I'm not what? I know that one of the devices has usb drives so you can play videos, etc from it- I like that alot.
Apple TV- I know plays amazon, not familiar at all with this- help me?
Other device?? Since already have a blu ray player I don't know if we need another one- but maybe there's something I don't know?

Please add to my knowledge!

ahisma
07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
We went with Roku. CNET has a good comparison: http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13484_53-57573950-10391694/prizefight-roku-3-vs-third-generation-apple-tv-video/

ETA: The only real advantage that we saw for Apple Tv was that we would be able to stream from our MacBooks, iPad, etc to the TV. If you're not an Apple family that doesn't even matter. If you are, it may not tip the scales - it didn't for us.

123LuckyMom
07-19-2013, 09:34 PM
We have Rokus. They're great! You can definitely stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu plus, and a whole bunch of other channels. We use Pandora, PBS, Tune in (radio), TED, Huff Post Live, Smithsonian, HBO (which only works if you already pay for HBO through a cable provider), and a space channel that broadcasts live feed from the International Space Station. I've never had another streaming device, but I do recommend the Roku.

zukeypur
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
We are moving next week and I'm trying to decide if we are going with cable or not. We will be using suddenlink for Internet and phone, basically because that's the only thing available.

I'm assuming you need a separate Roku for each TV, yes?

khm
07-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Google has a new thing. I am on my phone but I know amazon has it though currently sold out. It is basically a deal you plug in the TV and have a computer or tablet stream to it. So anything you can see on a computer (Netflix hulu network sites)

weech
07-26-2013, 08:36 PM
We chose Rokus as well. We don't buy apple products, so AppleTV didn't make sense for us. The Roku is awesome for streaming Amazon Prime and my Amazon Cloud music. I also like looking at our photos on the big screen.

Google Chromecast does look rather tempting, but I'd rather wait to see how it does. Roku is fairly established and they keep adding content, so I've been happy with it.

hillview
07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Google has a new thing. I am on my phone but I know amazon has it though currently sold out. It is basically a deal you plug in the TV and have a computer or tablet stream to it. So anything you can see on a computer (Netflix hulu network sites)

this looks awesome! GooglePlay maybe it is called?

khm
07-26-2013, 09:55 PM
this looks awesome! GooglePlay maybe it is called?

It is called Google Chromecast. Weech said that. I couldn't remember. :-)