PDA

View Full Version : Ask neighbor to return something after 2 years?

L'sMommy
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
So I think I know the answer but would you ask a neighbor whether they still have the DVD you lent them ~2 years ago? I know I should have made a copy for her instead of giving the original. I just don't want to spend $30 again. WWYD? I have a good relationship with this family, our kids play nicely together.

Philly Mom
07-20-2013, 08:43 AM
As the neighbor, it would make me feel very awkward and guilty. I may not even remember the DVD. If I did, I would probably have given it back.

JenChem
07-20-2013, 08:52 AM
I'd ask, if it makes her feel awkward then that's too bad. I'd rather be asked for it back than have you not tell me and possibly hold it against me.

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Ask! They probably just forgot. I've been the guilty party in this scenario.

waitingforgrace
07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I'd ask but very casually. "Hey neighbor, you remember when you borrowed whatever movie? I thought you returned it but I can't find it anywhere. Do you still happen to have it? Would you mind checking for us? Thanks!"

KpbS
07-20-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd definitely ask since you have a relationship with the family. Most likely it just got mixed into their family's dvds. No biggie.

L'sMommy
07-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Lol. I thought everyone would tell me to suck it up and buy the DVD again. It's a kids DVD and now I want to use it for my youngest. I think I will casually ask. I am sure she forgot.

TwinFoxes
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I'd definitely ask since you have a relationship with the family. Most likely it just got mixed into their family's dvds. No biggie.

:yeahthat: I wouldn't think twice if you asked me.

petesgirl
07-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd ask but very casually. "Hey neighbor, you remember when you borrowed whatever movie? I thought you returned it but I can't find it anywhere. Do you still happen to have it? Would you mind checking for us? Thanks!"

I really like this type of script. She shouldn't be offended at all. My mom would borrow vhs tapes when I was young and keep those for months on end. Every time she saw the neighbors she would say, 'oh we still have such and such movie!'

ZeeBaby
07-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I like waiting for Grace's speech as well. It doesn't make any accusations and actually puts the blame on the person asking for it.

tropicalmom
07-20-2013, 11:20 PM

:yeahthat: