PDA

View Full Version : Mittens or gloves for preschooler

Pear
07-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I need to find some mitten or gloves for 4yo DD that actually work. She will be attending an outdoor preschool this winter. Everything I have bought in the past has been a disaster. Either they are so thin that her hands are wet and freezing in moments or they are impossible to actually get on. I know it is a tad early for this, but I want to be prepared on where to look because my experience from last year was that everywhere was sold out before it actually snowed.

Kindra178
07-20-2013, 01:18 PM
My favorite gloves for the 3-8 set are the Kids' Trail Model Fleece mittens. They are perfect for every day wear. They will repel a little water, but they are definitely not snow gloves. They usually have a couple of sale models come early winter. The only negative is that they are very pricey. I justify the cost by ease of use, warmth and the countless dollars on other cheaper mittens that I have have spent money on over the years that don't work, won't stay one, can't get on, etc. Ds1 had the same pair for 2.5 winters; he is super careful with his things. Then he went to a basketball game with dh and somehow one got lost.

For snow, love the LLB cold buster mittens.

hillview
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
I've had great luck with the ones from BJs or Costco with the zippers on the side.

LMPC
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
REI makes some nice mittens that DD was able to put on by herself for the most part and that kept her hands warm. They were last year's version of these...http://www.rei.com/product/837860/rei-snow-ridge-mittens-girls

Simon
07-20-2013, 09:09 PM
We use a long sleeve mitten with our kids and they work very well. Hands are warm and dry, snow can't get inside and they don't fall offer. We have 1-2 pairs of the original L-bow brand (http://www.lbow.com/) and also the same style of mittens in other brands too.A At least one of our pairs even has an outsid pocket where you can zip in those chemical handwarmers. We have discarded all our LE and LLB mittens in favor of the long sleeve kind until the kids are about 6 years old. Ds1 seems to be okay using the regular kind of mittens now that he's older. So far, they are holding up well.