PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Point amusement park water ride accident...

Corie
07-20-2013, 05:24 PM
A boat on Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio) accidentally rolled backward down a hill
and flipped over in water when the ride malfunctioned.

A witness says, people were belted into the boat and were trapped.
"We jumped in and helped them get out," he told the newspaper. "If we didn't help, I don't even know what would have happened."

http://www.freep.com/article/20130720/FEATURES07/307200052/Cedar-Point-ride-rolls-backward-down-hill-7-hurt

This story actually scares me to death. Every single time I ride one of the water rides or log flumes, I wonder out loud
how the boat doesn't flip over when going up the hills. The boat just seems to be riding up the hills on conveyor belts.
How does it stay on there? Especially when there is a lot of weight in the back of the boat.

flashy09
07-20-2013, 06:21 PM
That's terrifying! The worst part would be the safety belt (or safety bar...even worse!) and the feeling of being trapped under the water. Ugh, going to have a panic attack just thinking about it!

tg_canada
07-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Geez, this and the Six Flags accident all in one day. Horrific. :(

Momit
07-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh my gosh. We've been to Cedar Point a bunch of times. I was also just reading about the Six Flags accident - crazy to have two park accidents like this.

KrisM
07-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I tend to distrust moving carnivals and we don't go to them. But, I trust places like Cedar Point, Six Flags, Disney, etc. This is really scary for both places.

hellokitty
07-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes, it scares the heck out of me. I'm not a big roller coaster person at all, but my dh is and my kids are following in his footsteps. I could see us getting season passes to CP, when they're teenagers, but I am aware that accidents are definitely a possibility.