PDA

View Full Version : Joint birthday party help

KLD313
07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
My kids are roughly 23 months apart. I've done a first and second birthday party for DD. Her first bday had a butterfly theme and the second one had a banner that said happy birthday. Lol. I had just had a c-section do it's a miracle I did anything.

This year I'm thinking two separate parties would just be ridiculous and to just do a birthday party for DS or DD isn't fair. So how do I combine them? DD loves Sophia the First so it would be angreat theme for her but not DS. I may not even have other kids there, idk. I could do Jake and the Neverland Pirates for the baby and Sophia for her? Seems like overkill. An Elmo party?

I'm really at a loss and I'm coming off a huge 4th of July party and kind of partied out. Help!?

JustMe
07-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I guess it depends on how important the themes are to you. I have never really done themes, and the kids don't seem to notice. Or, sure, you could do 2 themes, and I am sure the kids would have no problem with it.

FWIW, I did joint parties for my kids for 3 years and they both loved it (actually requested it). Mine were older at the time, so I just took them to the store and let them pick out the decorations, etc. Usually they agreed, but one year we did buy 2 kinds of plates, etc.

almostamom
07-21-2013, 11:39 AM
I have a friend whose children are exactly 2 years apart. She does a joint party every year. Some of the themes she's had are: bubbles, playdough, legos, magician, and then they've had some "location" parties - gymnastics, jumpy place, ice skating. We did a bubbles parties for DS when he was two. It was so much fun and just perfect for that age. I got the idea from the BBB. I do like theme parties and we've had a theme every year.

Still-in-Shock
07-21-2013, 11:53 AM
My sister combined our nephew's party with the boy across the street for their 4th birthdays. Our nephew loves planes and the other boy liked Indiana Jones. Each boy had a separate cake decorated their way and my sister told everyone that the theme was Indiana Jones in an airport. The boys loved having their birthdays together, and looking at the pictures, I cant tell what the decorations really were. The party was outside, and the kids dug in the garden, and there was a paper house that all the kids got to draw on. My take away on this is that if there is cake and enough ways to get messy, little kids don't care if the decorations all match.

The house was something like this: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/myveryownhouse.cfm Notice you can draw on the inside too. If the kids are young enough, you can have 2 kids inside and several outside all coloring at the same time.

KrisM
07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Does the baby really care about the theme? I bet Sophia is fine. DS2 watches it and he's 5 :).

We did a joint for DS1 and DD this year. We had 2 themes. The table was split. No big deal.

KLD313
07-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Does the baby really care about the theme? I bet Sophia is fine. DS2 watches it and he's 5 :).

We did a joint for DS1 and DD this year. We had 2 themes. The table was split. No big deal.

No, of course he doesn't but I have visions of him seeing pics of it years from now and complaining. Lol

I don't even care much about the theme. I just thought DD would like it since she's Sophia obsessed.

Any other thoughts or ideas welcome and thanks to those who responded.

Philly Mom
07-21-2013, 01:53 PM
What about a generic Disney junior theme? Sophia, Mickey, etc.

KLD313
07-21-2013, 01:58 PM
What about a generic Disney junior theme? Sophia, Mickey, etc.

That's a good idea but how do we pull it off. She loves Mickey, too and everything Disney Jr.

vonfirmath
07-21-2013, 02:06 PM
My kids are roughly 23 months apart. I've done a first and second birthday party for DD. Her first bday had a butterfly theme and the second one had a banner that said happy birthday. Lol. I had just had a c-section do it's a miracle I did anything.

This year I'm thinking two separate parties would just be ridiculous and to just do a birthday party for DS or DD isn't fair. So how do I combine them? DD loves Sophia the First so it would be angreat theme for her but not DS. I may not even have other kids there, idk. I could do Jake and the Neverland Pirates for the baby and Sophia for her? Seems like overkill. An Elmo party?

I'm really at a loss and I'm coming off a huge 4th of July party and kind of partied out. Help!?

I'd do a party for DS and ignore DD. She is just turning 1 yr old after all.

My kids' birthdays are 1 week apart.

Last year (when DD was 1) I did a 5th birthday party for DS and nothing special at all for her.

This year we are celebrating her birthday on her birthday (though probably still a family-only party) and putting off DS's until the end of September/early October (after school starts)

We'll see what happens next year.

Philly Mom
07-21-2013, 02:33 PM
That's a good idea but how do we pull it off. She loves Mickey, too and everything Disney Jr.

I am not a birthday party giver (DD is only 2, and will wait until 3 for her first party) or theme person so my thoughts may not work. But perhaps, balloons with lots of different characters. Two paper plate purchases with Micky and Sophia being the featured characters. For activities, you could have a tri-kingdom picnic and throw in some mouscatools to help complete the activities. Let the kids pick which mouscatool will help them at the picnic. Every kid could dress up as their favorite Disney character.

KrisM
07-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Buy some Mickey Mouse, some Jake, and some Sophia stuff? Just alternate things. Mickey plates, Sophia napkins, Jake table cover? DD has Sophia cake and DS has a Mickey Mouse.

elephantmeg
07-21-2013, 03:41 PM
my kids are 2 years apart too (well 25 months). We've done joined parties every year til this year and next year they want to have a joint party again.
1+3-spring garden-worm cupcakes for DS, flower cupcakes for DD, we painted and planted flower seeds
2+4-frogs-regular frogs plus some stuff from the disney movie princess and the frog
3+5-mickey mouse clubhouse
4+6-angry birds
this past year DD had a princess tea party and DS had a lego ninja party. Next year they both want a lego party.

I would do a generic knight and princess party and call it done or castle and pirates or something! I generally do cupcakes for each theme and a mini cake for each birthday child. When DD turned 1 she went first (we sang to her, she blew out her candle with help from DS) then we did the same for DS. The only year they shared a joint big cake was the mickey mouse cake and they blew their candles out together.

ZeeBaby
07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Disney Jr is also doing a pirate and princess theme this summer with new Jake and Sophia episodes. I think that would be a great theme as well. Joint parties are so much easier for the family throwing the party and family friends as well.

3blackcats
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Etsy has tons of Sofia the First stuff for birthdays. Both my Dd's are obsessed with this show.