PDA

View Full Version : Indie as a One and Only???

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Title pretty much says it all. Has anyone used a single Indie as a pretty much a one and only? I've fallen in love with the Indie and plan to get one for outside walks. However, since it isn't huge, I'm wondering if I could get by using it as a one and only until I can find a stroller I like better for indoor use.

crl
07-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I had an indie for a year and loved it. I did have an umbrella during that time but it was rarely used. I think whether an indie could be a one and only would depend on how often you would be taking it in and out of the car and how much you care about weight and how much cargo space you have in your vehicle. Also, I prefer to fly with a less expensive and lighter weight stroller.

I am honestly not a one and only kind of stroller user. I am a very heavy user of an air tire stroller with occasional use of a lightweight umbrella. That's just the combo I prefer. But if I had to pick and one and only it would definitely have to have air tires and the indie would probably be my pick.

Catherine

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks! I have a minivan, so space isn't an issue. My previous strollers have been a Vista and City Select, so this appears to be lighter than both. I would definately get something smaller if we were to fly anywhere, but until my son's health stabalizes no traveling for us! Maybe an umbrella stroller or something for dr/hospital visits since we have lots of those.

Basically I'd like a full feature stroller I can use at Target and outside. I'd like a parent facing option, but that is more for me than my son. I think he is tired of looking at me and rather face out. lol

kaharris83
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
You mentioned waiting until after the ABC show in Oct in the other thread. Bumbleride is supposedly working on a reversible. I haven't kept up with the details but maybe they'll release more info in October. Could solve your parent facing want while still being a Bumbleride.

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 06:34 PM
You mentioned waiting until after the ABC show in Oct in the other thread. Bumbleride is supposedly working on a reversible. I haven't kept up with the details but maybe they'll release more info in October. Could solve your parent facing want while still being a Bumbleride.

That sounds intriguing!!! Of course it could be like the Versa where it takes forever to come out.....

amom526
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I had an Indie for ds1, and I don't think I would want it as a one and only, especially if you have lots of doctors visits. I personally hated putting the Indie in and out of the car. But it depends on your lifestyle. I had an umbrella in the car, and I can probably count on 2 hands the number of times I used it - most of those times were doctors offices. But the indie would have been impossible in those places, so I'm very glad I had it.

kaharris83
07-21-2013, 06:38 PM
That sounds intriguing!!! Of course it could be like the Versa where it takes forever to come out.....

Yeah I think they announced it at last year's ABC in October but gave very little details. And I'm not sure I've heard much about it since. So it's already been a while...maybe that means most of the waiting is done. :)

ETA Google Bumbleride Era and you can see some details about it.

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks! Off to google now!

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
It sounds like it is taking the place of the Flyer. Maybe it could work as an indoor stroller. It said it will have 8" and 10" wheels and suspension. I'm interested but would love to see a picture. It said it was supposed to be released mid year......

Edited to add, I scrolled through their facebook page and someone asked the release date for the Era and they said the Era is still under development. That doesn't sound too promising for being released soon.

crl - did you have any major problems with your tires? Like frequent flats? That is my biggest worry with an air filled tire.

I wish I could get over my fear of the Versa as it may really work well for me.....

kaharris83
07-21-2013, 07:25 PM
My Versa is basically my one and only, but I do use the Duallie for our trail walk, mostly because I don't want my Versa to get dirty. I've had mine since February with no issues and I use it daily strictly in parent facing mode.

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 07:46 PM
My Versa is basically my one and only, but I do use the Duallie for our trail walk, mostly because I don't want my Versa to get dirty. I've had mine since February with no issues and I use it daily strictly in parent facing mode.

I'm so close to trying it again. It really checks off all of the boxes for me. If I do purchase it, this time I would get it at BuyBuyBaby or Diapers.com, so I could return if it I had a problem. My problem was right out of the box, so it would be within the return period. I'm really thinking maybe a Versa for inside use and an Indie for outdoor use. I really do like having two separate strollers. At winter time I really like the parent facing option as it is easier to keep people from getting close to DS. The Versa would easily fit in the dr's offices, as I had no problem using my Select there.

amom526
07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
It sounds like it is taking the place of the Flyer. Maybe it could work as an indoor stroller. It said it will have 8" and 10" wheels and suspension. I'm interested but would love to see a picture. It said it was supposed to be released mid year......

Edited to add, I scrolled through their facebook page and someone asked the release date for the Era and they said the Era is still under development. That doesn't sound too promising for being released soon.

crl - did you have any major problems with your tires? Like frequent flats? That is my biggest worry with an air filled tire.

I wish I could get over my fear of the Versa as it may really work well for me.....

I actually replaced my Indie with a Versa, and I would be more willing to have a Versa as my one and only. It is so much easier to fold and get in and out of the car, although it is not light.

One of the main reasons I traded in my Indie for a Versa, besides for rear facing capabilities, is because I got sick of my tires losing air. The included pump did not work well for me, and going to a bike store/gas station was just an added hassle I didn't want. I also felt like my outdoor walks, even on sometimes rough sidewalks, did not justify needing air tires. I definitely feel the bumps more on the Versa, but the push is really amazing. And I love the fact that i just don;t have to worry about getting a flat or needing air. I LOVE my Versa.

ETA: I feel like the Indie and Versa might be too much overlap. I don't think the push of the Indie is THAT far superior to make it worthwhile. If I was getting a Versa for indoors only, I think I would have to get a BOB or maybe MB to really make a difference for outdoors.

I don't really think you can go too wrong with an Indie or Versa, they are both great. But I think the Versa is more well suited to be a one and only stroller. I would not hesitate to travel with the Versa (beyond the fear of my beloved stroller getting wrecked), while I absolutely dreaded traveling with the Indie.

crl
07-21-2013, 08:26 PM

i have used air tires for years and A LOT of miles because I walk a lot. I have had two flats, both on a MB Swift. One of those was my fault for letting the tire get too low on air and it got a pinch flt going over a curb. I will gladly take the flat risk over not having air tires.

Catherine

ETA. I filled my Indie tires (and now my Bob tires) with a bike pump that we already owned for bike tires. It's easy to do (the MB Swifts were a different story--they were a PIA to fill) and I only have to do it about four times a year. And that's with daily use of one to four miles.

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Thank you for all of the input. I really do appreciate it. I suppose I could give the Versa another try, and then see what I need for walking outdoors. The BOB is probably better for walking outdoors, but the Indie is so much prettier.

crl
07-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I sold my indie because I had serious space constraints. I replaced it with the Micralite Superlite Fastfold because it folded up so small. When it broke, we had moved to a place with a garage and I bought a used Bob for cheap off CL. If I hadn't had the space constraints, I would have been perfectly happy with my Indie. Once I had sold it I didn't want to spend the money on a replacement--Bob is just as functional for me now and was much cheaper. The Bob would not be as good as a one and only as the Indie would.

Catherine

PZMommy
07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I could never use a BOB as a one and only. I know some people do, but there is no way I could do it. No matter what I decide I will probably end up with two different ones. Just a matter of which two ones. lol

AJP
07-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I used my indie as my one and only until last month (DS is two). I got a G-luxe and the indie stays at my parents beach house for walks there and for to and from the beach. I just go tired of it getting sandy there and returning home with it dirty and sandy. I figured the G-luxe fits all our needs now for an every day stroller.

PZMommy
07-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Thank you. After watching too many YouTube videos and talking with DH, we both feel we need two strollers. There's no one perfect stroller that checks all of my indoor stroller boxes and outdoor boxes (or at least not available on the US market). So I think we will get the Versa for indoors, as it really does fit every criteria on my list. (I will buy it at BuyBuy Baby and assemble in the parking lot to make sure it works. lol) For outdoors, I really think I will get the Indie. I like the size and looks of it better than the BOB. Plus myself being a girly girl but having two boys, I want something that is pretty. I know it sounds crazy. I know myself well enough that if I settle and get the BOB, a month later I will be wanting to sell it for the Indie, so I might as well get what I really want to start with.

I am intrigued by the Bumbleride Era, but without even seeing pics of it and no release date in sight, it seems pointless to wait for it. I can always re-evaluate my line up when it comes out. I'm also hopeful some better options for double strollers come out by the time I need one of those again. lol

ebp913
07-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Thank you. After watching too many YouTube videos and talking with DH, we both feel we need two strollers. There's no one perfect stroller that checks all of my indoor stroller boxes and outdoor boxes (or at least not available on the US market). So I think we will get the Versa for indoors, as it really does fit every criteria on my list. (I will buy it at BuyBuy Baby and assemble in the parking lot to make sure it works. lol) For outdoors, I really think I will get the Indie. I like the size and looks of it better than the BOB. Plus myself being a girly girl but having two boys, I want something that is pretty. I know it sounds crazy. I know myself well enough that if I settle and get the BOB, a month later I will be wanting to sell it for the Indie, so I might as well get what I really want to start with.

I am intrigued by the Bumbleride Era, but without even seeing pics of it and no release date in sight, it seems pointless to wait for it. I can always re-evaluate my line up when it comes out. I'm also hopeful some better options for double strollers come out by the time I need one of those again. lol

I think that sounds like a good plan!

mell4556
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I think so too! Let us know what you think of the Versa now that you will have a functioning one :)

PZMommy
07-28-2013, 01:09 PM
So we made another trip to BBB.....

First I compared the 4 wheel city mini to versa. Even if I only want to have him face out, the Versa still wins with the basket size, adjustable handle and sturdiness. So I plan to go back and get the Versa later this week when I get paid.

Then we played with the Indie and compared it with the Bob Rev, and the Bob Motion. The Indie wins on looks. But when playing with it more it just felt a bit flimsy for an outdoor stroller. Plus the price is a lot for an outdoor stroller. We considered it as a one and only, but we rely heavily on a stroller and only having air tires makes me a bit nervous because I don't have time to deal with flat tires. If it was just an outdoor stroller, I don't worry so much, because if I can't go for a walk for a day or two, it isn't a big loss. But I need a stroller for the stores, mall, etc. So I think we decided against the Indie. :(. We played with the Bob Rev, but I still felt the same that it really is too big for what I need. So it looks like we will continue to use the Bob Motion for outdoors.

I am playing with the idea of a Bumbleride Flite to use for dr offices/hospital visits etc. That way I can get my pretty color stroller. I will wait and try out just the Versa for a bit and then decide if I also want something smaller, or if the Versa will be okay. I'm still very curious about the Bumbleride Era, but who knows when that will be on the market.

amom526
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
I think your feelings are spot on.

I wonder if anyone else can weigh in about how the push of the Versa compares to the BOB motion? I have never seen a motion in person, but I would have assumed (maybe wrongly) that the Versa would be better for outddor use. What kind of wheels are on the motion?

I am using my Versa as my outdoor single for now, but I usually need my double for longer walks or outdoor trips.

What about a BJ city elite (not sure if you can still get these new) or a MB from craigslist for outdoor use?

PZMommy
07-28-2013, 02:40 PM
The Bob Motion has air tires, so I think it is better suited for outdoors than the Versa. I believe the front two tires are 7 inches and the back tires 10 inches. I had the City Elite and returned it and got the Motion instead. My son had a difficult time sitting in the seat. He was not comfortable at all. I had a defective Versa that was part of the recall (baby jogger actually took it back before they initiated the recall), and I really feel it is more of an indoor stroller. We have really uneven sidewalks (probably due to lots of earthquakes), and I felt my Versa get stuck on lots of the cracks. The Motion seems to handle them better. It glides over them pretty easily. We've taken it to the lake and it goes easily over the grass, some sand, and just about any terrain. BOB says it can go over all terrain and their video even shows it on hiking trails. They just say you can't jog with it, and in that case they recommend the Revolution if you want to jog. It is a nice stroller, but I don't like it for the mall and shopping as it has a small basket and I'd really like to parent face again. Plus it is just an outdoor looking stroller. lol

crl
07-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Just an FYI for anyone considering a stroller with air tires under 12 inches (ie the MB Swift and it sounds like the Bob Motion?), IME bike shops do not keep those inner tubes in stock. So if you get a flat and it is too bad to patch, you have to order the inner tube. When I had a MB Swift I ordered a couple of the inner tubes just to keep on hand. The 12 inch tires (like on the Indie) are the same size as kid bike tires so bike shops keep those inner tubes in stock.

Catherine

amom526
07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
The Bob Motion has air tires, so I think it is better suited for outdoors than the Versa. I believe the front two tires are 7 inches and the back tires 10 inches. I had the City Elite and returned it and got the Motion instead. My son had a difficult time sitting in the seat. He was not comfortable at all. I had a defective Versa that was part of the recall (baby jogger actually took it back before they initiated the recall), and I really feel it is more of an indoor stroller. We have really uneven sidewalks (probably due to lots of earthquakes), and I felt my Versa get stuck on lots of the cracks. The Motion seems to handle them better. It glides over them pretty easily. We've taken it to the lake and it goes easily over the grass, some sand, and just about any terrain. BOB says it can go over all terrain and their video even shows it on hiking trails. They just say you can't jog with it, and in that case they recommend the Revolution if you want to jog. It is a nice stroller, but I don't like it for the mall and shopping as it has a small basket and I'd really like to parent face again. Plus it is just an outdoor looking stroller. lol

Now that I look at the specs on the motion, I see that it is definitely an outdoor stroller. I didn't realize it had air tires.

It sounds like the Versa really does tick all your boxes, so I really hope you have a better experience this time around! The fold on the Versa is really amazing for a reversible, so I could definitely see it working as an indoor.

kaharris83
07-28-2013, 07:19 PM
When I compared my BJCM-GT to the Motion the push was very nearly identical. The GT has the foam filled forever tires. I never pushed my Versa with the regular wheels so no idea how the regular Versa wheels compare to the Motion. The GT tires handle everything I've thrown at them with ease. I do use a Duallie for serious trail walks though.

abh5e8
07-28-2013, 08:11 PM
sounds like a great combo for you!

eta: maybe the versa would be your 1 and only if they come out with the GT wheels for it?

ebp913
07-29-2013, 10:16 AM
sounds like a great combo for you!

eta: maybe the versa would be your 1 and only if they come out with the GT wheels for it?

You can order the GT wheels from Baby Jogger and use them on the Versa. There is some tricks to it but if you are interested, I know a couple people who have done it - kaharris included.

PZMommy
08-01-2013, 12:30 AM
You can order the GT wheels from Baby Jogger and use them on the Versa. There is some tricks to it but if you are interested, I know a couple people who have done it - kaharris included.

I'm interested in doing this. What wheels would I order?

ebp913
08-01-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm interested in doing this. What wheels would I order?

You need to order 4 GT wheels from Baby Jogger... I believe they should run you about $120. Are you on the Facebook group? I can put you in touch with the girl who I know did it because you need a special screw driver.