PDA

View Full Version : Charter Schools

ZeeBaby
07-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Anyone have a child attending a charter school? Our charter requires a uniform with logo. Is this typical? We can use any khaki bottom, but we must use the t-shirts, polos with the school logo, sweater with logo and sweats logo. This really adds up and I was surprised a charter could do this since it is technically public and these things are so pricey. The sweaters are $32 each and polos are $20. Anyone having a similar experience?

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Our kids go to a charter and no logo apparel required. Take your concerns to your parent group- it's valid and maybe they can start advocating a change.

ZeeBaby
07-21-2013, 07:40 PM
We are just starting with K in September and I want to see the lay of the land first. I don't want to complain if it is something that works and the kids take pride in. We can afford the logo stuff, but I was just thinking of the equity for those that are lower income.

crl
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
We have never needed uniforms, but there may be second hand sales or subsidies available. You could ask the PTA as a matter of curiosity or to suggest that you would be willing to help coordinate such efforts or make a small donation to them.

Catherine

megs4413
07-21-2013, 08:23 PM
we declined admission but the one we got into last year did require a crest and specific uniforms from a uniform place (not gymbo uniforms or gap, etc)

essnce629
07-21-2013, 10:14 PM
DS1 goes to a charter school and no uniform is required.

dhano923
07-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Our school is charter and uniforms are optional. (blue or white polos with khaki pants or skirt) Majority of the kids wear regular clothes.

KpbS
07-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Our local charters do require uniforms much like you describe.

kbud
07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
My kids go to a Charter school. Uniforms with logo are required. I love them and usually stock up when they are on sale. After the first year the expense goes down because I just replace the pieces as needed when they are on sale. Our school does require many things the regular public schools can't such as requiring parent volunteer hours, more extensive supply lists and more many field trips that are more expensive. I am certain though they assist with families who cannot afford these things. Since they are a charter they can require these things. We in turn get a school similar to a private school but without tuition.

wellyes
07-22-2013, 01:15 AM
We looked at a parochial school with that requirement. Clearly there is a fundraising element to it - plenty of schools require a uniform without logos, successfully. But I'm sure once they're in school the kids don't mind it any more than any school uniform.

kristac
07-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Our charter does not require uniforms

baileygirl
07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Ours does not require uniforms, but it is something that has been discussed. Most of the traditional/classical charter schools in our area do require a uniform.