PDA

View Full Version : Experience with JBF sales?

lalasmama
07-21-2013, 10:26 PM
I just signed up for our local JBF sale. I went to a similar sale a year or two ago, but have never been a consigner. Basically, I have a ton of baby and toddler girl clothes to get rid of, some baby boy clothes (from my DSD's babies), blankets, a few gear items, and a few little toys. Brands vary on everything, but overall, lots of Carters, TCP, etc. I understand that I get 65% of what it's sold for, or 70% if I also volunteer at the event.

Since I've never done one of these before, and we BBB'ers are known for our shopping savvy, I thought I would ask here about pricing suggestions, and anything else I should know before my first sale. One of my big things is a brand new Pack-N-Play. It's been slept in once, for about 8 hours. It's a pattern from a few years ago (sage green, cream, pink). It was originally $140 or so, I bought it on clearance for like $40 at Sears. I have *no* idea what to price it! Also, how should I do like-new onsies? Do crocheted (sp?) blankets sell well? (We have many that we aren't sentimental about.) Anything else I need to know?

AngB
07-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I would price the PNP 20-40 depending on what the accessories are with it (a bassinet? diaper changer? just the playpen?)...those things always seem to go fast at those types of sales here even if they are overpriced IMO.

I have never sold but shop them and there usually isn't much gear stuff left by the time I go usually on the 2nd public sale day or so.

megs4413
07-21-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm a serious, long-time JBFer. I can PM you with specific price suggestions. I love the sales and have been consigning and volunteering for like 6 years.

cntrymoon2
07-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm a serious, long-time JBFer. I can PM you with specific price suggestions. I love the sales and have been consigning and volunteering for like 6 years.

Would you mind posting them here or PMing me, too? I've also been thinking about consigning and I'm overwhelmed at the thought of starting. Any tips you have would be much appreciated.

Globetrotter
07-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Wrong thread :)

megs4413
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
It was originally $140 or so, I bought it on clearance for like $40 at Sears. I have *no* idea what to price it! Also, how should I do like-new onsies? Do crocheted (sp?) blankets sell well? (We have many that we aren't sentimental about.) Anything else I need to know?

You will also pay a consignor's fee at most sales (not all, but most) even if you do volunteer. the consignor fee at the sales I've participated in has always been $10 and an additional stamp. You pay the fee no matter what if you intend to sell. I've seen it waived when nothing sold or only something less than $10. But just be aware of the fee and make sure it's worth your while.

I recommend volunteering, but if you don't have the time or aren't consigning much, don't bother. 5% is not that much more if your volume is low and volunteering is hard work. I volunteer for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is that I like to shop as early as possible. I volunteer the maximum amount of hours and shop first just after the sales owner and team leads (her staff.) it's a full day before consignors shop.

The P'n'P will depend on features and condition. If it has a bassinette but no changing table, it's worth less. If it has no bassinet, then it's worth even less than that. normally, I suggest 40-50% of retail if it's in excellent condition. In your case, because you got it for so cheap, I would price at $30 and have it set to go half off on the half off days.

Like new onesies should be grouped and hung. Group them in sets of 3-5. Price them less than $1/onesie. Make sure you safety pin them all together and hang on one hanger if possible. if not possible, hang on multiple hangers and then tie the hangers together with tape or preferably zip ties. PIN onesies together even if they are on multiple hangers. have them set to go half off. If you have some Gerber and some Carter's, group same brands together.

Crocheted blankets don't sell at all. I wouldn't bother.

There is plenty to know, but I don't know what you don't know! if you come up with any more questions, shoot them to me via PM. Don't forget to check out the consignor info page for your particular sale (so like my sale used to be westcounty.jbfsale.com. your sale's will be the" area name".jbfsale.com). Some sales have limits on how many of a certain kind of item you can bring (like books or shoes) and some require specific kinds of hangers or cardstock. You will want to know the rules for your particular sale!

megs4413
07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Would you mind posting them here or PMing me, too? I've also been thinking about consigning and I'm overwhelmed at the thought of starting. Any tips you have would be much appreciated.

general tips for a beginning consignor:

1. invest in a tagging gun. you can buy them on ebay for less than $10.
2. you need cardstock (white), a tagging gun with barbs, hangers, packing tape, safety pins, ziploc bags, zip ties, and a printer with ink to get started.
3. Tag large items first to get them out of the way. (like a play kitchen should be done before your shoes)
4. Group small ticket like items together. If you have 4 early reader Transformers paperbacks, put them in a ziploc bag where you can see each of the titles clearly. tape the bag closed and tape the price tag on the outside of the bag. Higher chance of selling. Individual books, unless highly sought after titles, do not generally sell well at all.
5. include descriptions on tags. if the dress was from gymboree, say so right on the tag in caps.
6. let your items go half off.
7. check and see if there are other sales in your immediate area. if there are, you can participate in multiple sales with the same tags! better chance of selling everything.
8. donate unsold items. the charities are worthwhile (at least the ones i've worked with) and they appreciate the support.
9. secure everything way more than you think is necessary. when you pin clothes onto a hanger, TAPE over the pin's clasp once it's closed. don't just put stuff in a ziploc...put it in a ziploc and then TAPE the ziploc over. lost tags means lost items and lost money. it also helps prevent theft of your items.
10. you can probably sell that! seriously, it's probably sellable! look up your sale's specific rules on merchandise that is permitted. we sell plenty of frames/household items in mommy mart. who'da thunk it?

Binkandabee
07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Megs...do you use the tagging gun alone for your tags or do you secure them another way as well. I'm just thinking about them getting torn off by accident.

ETA: I'm a long time consignor, but have always pinned my tags on, then taped over them which is REALLY time consuming.

megs4413
07-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Megs...do you use the tagging gun alone for your tags or do you secure them another way as well. I'm just thinking about them getting torn off by accident.

ETA: I'm a long time consignor, but have always pinned my tags on, then taped over them which is REALLY time consuming.

I just use the gun and heavy card stock. I've never had a problem. :)

Simon
07-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Megs gave great advice. I had no idea tagging guns were so inexpensive on ebay. I'll have to check it out. I have just pinned or tapped or used those zip ties before with good results. I always use zip ties on shoes and toys when possible.
I have found the pricing guidelines at the JBF web site (http://www.jbfsale.com/pricingGuidelines.jsp)to be fairly accurate for my area. Its a pdf you can download. IME, there are 3 different JBF sales in my area all have a very different feel to them. Some items sell very well at one place and not at all at another. For example, there is one sale in town where no one has heard of HA or Boden so those things don't sell at all and another sale where those fly of the racks.

IME, there is always a TON of clothing in the 0-12 mo size and I won't spend my time pricing anything individually. I have bagged sets of items like sleepers (3 for $5) or onsies (5 for $5 or less). Around here, boys clothing sells very well in toddler and up sizes--the racks will be seriously bare while there is always a lot of girls stuff left over. Mostly I donate under 12 mo and only sell after that. I price low because I want stuff gone and it works fairly well although I try to focus on items that will bring more $ for my time: winter gear, shoes, bigger items (bouncy seats, changing table, etc).

I do also try and sell larger items on CL because I don't want to lose 30% of the sale price.

mom2binsd
07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
I have also volunteered at our sale for years, I'm considered on the the "staff" and thus get to shop with the owner and a few others before even the VIP volunteers.

Here's what I've learned after years (and the owner used to have a JBF franchise and uses similar policies)

The tagging guns often have the most number of lost tags, people can be pretty rough when searching the clothes and the barbs come through the clothing pretty easily (you have to tag on the right chest area (not the thicker tag or seam area that stores do) and they rip the item and or come off. Megs you might be a good tagger/lucky as we discourage them out our sale based on experience.

We don't allow any homemade items, blankets or clothing.

Price to sell, underprice if anything, you can always price next time.

Always price for half price except for a huge item.

I also CL some bigger items, I don't want to lug them and I want to get as much money for them.

USE lots of packing tape and extra large ziplok bags for toys like FP farm etc....I can't tell you how many stray pieces we find.

Books can also be tied in groups with strong twine. I make a double x with twine for groups.

I started out volunteering, and now am best friends with the owner, it's amazing how friendships at these sales blossom!

Until you get to size 5 in clothing, there is lots and lots!!! You really need to price aggressively, so that when someone pulls it out and looks at it they drop it into their bag without hesitation.

Double and triple check for spots/stains in DIFFERENT lighting.....even our best consignors miss spots, don't question the inspectors when they find a stain....

OXYCLEAN is your friend. Use magic eraser on toys, use a toothbrush to clean the soles of shoes.

If you use safety pins, I put mine in a bar of soap first and then they slide easily.

Don't use the clippy hangers, follow hanging instructions on the sale website to a T!

My sale owner has youtube video's on how to....look them up under One Week Boutique.....

megs4413
07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
The tagging guns often have the most number of lost tags, people can be pretty rough when searching the clothes and the barbs come through the clothing pretty easily (you have to tag on the right chest area (not the thicker tag or seam area that stores do) and they rip the item and or come off. Megs you might be a good tagger/lucky as we discourage them out our sale based on experience.

that's really interesting. I have the total opposite experience. I tag on tags just like at the stores or in the armpit seam on tops, hip seam for bottoms. I did work at OUAC in high school, so I've been tagging "professionally" for many years. LOL I don't think it's just me, though, since I've been doing it for so long. All the owners I've worked with use guns on their own merchandise too. I wonder if there is a difference in the quality of barbs...or maybe your sale is WAY higher traffic....

mmsmom
07-22-2013, 07:01 PM
I have consigned at JBF sales several times and have had good experiences. They tell you on the website that clothes under 18 months do not sell well and that has been my experience. The larger sizes sell better. Also be aware that they are very picky about quality and they do inspect all clothes & shoes. I found the video tutorials on how to tag & hang clothes very helpful. They say price at 30% of retail. Buyers in my area seem to like items (Non-clothes) that are in clear bags ( big ziplocs or the bags that sheets/blankets come in). My sale no longer takes bedding, bkankets, etc. & all gear items with fabric like strollers, pack & plays get sprayed with a disinfectant.

mom2binsd
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Our sale specifies that the tags must be on the right chest, not at the seams etc...so that's the difference. I did use a tagging gun for one sale and found they fell off, as we've seen as well.

We've had some consignors use safety pins and pin to the neckline or inside size tag which our tagging instructions specifies NOT to do, and have had to ask them to repin. Also every sale, mostly newbies, end up repinning items as they have hung them backwards etc. Or they buy colored cardstock (again it says NOT to) as the scanning guns don't scan colored paper well....what is always a bummer is when the husband is dropping off for the wife who did not read the instructions....fun times at drop off!!!

mikala
07-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Fwiw I've had really bad experiences with plastic tagged clothing at consignment sales. I've purchased several items where the tag gun left a small hole in the fabric that then becomes a really visible hole with washing. It's especially bad at sales that require a chest tag like a pp mentioned. I definitely prefer safety pins as a buyer.

megs4413
07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Fwiw I've had really bad experiences with plastic tagged clothing at consignment sales. I've purchased several items where the tag gun left a small hole in the fabric that then becomes a really visible hole with washing. It's especially bad at sales that require a chest tag like a pp mentioned. I definitely prefer safety pins as a buyer.

this is exactly why I won't buy from sales that require you to tag into the garment in a noticeable place. I tag on the tags with a gun to spare the clothing from needless holes created by the gun or safety pin on the visible part of the garment. the armpit is a good alternative as well as the hip. this is how they tag in stores as well to spare the actual article from holes that will affect wearability.

Be careful when shopping these sales...I also find that people frequently tag on the front of clothes over stains or other defects. the garment should be viewable in its entirety and not obscured by the tag so that it can be verified to be without flaw.

JMO!

belovedgandp
07-22-2013, 10:44 PM
I have been a seller twice. I am not a big shopper.

I will not bother pricing any clothing smaller than 18 months again. There is just such a surplus of those sizes of clothing; to move it you have to price it crazy low. I'd prefer giving it to people I know or donating where it will go to a good cause.

Once you start tagging there are tons of things in the house to purge. I did random bags of baby proofing items. All of this stuff sold.

crl
07-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Document everything you take to the sale. I lost everything I consigned at a Dani's Duds sale. It all just disappeared and the sale owners were no help at all.

Catherine

lalasmama
07-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Do bottles usually sell if priced low? As with a LOT of the things I'm selling, these are new, but washed. They are mostly premium-style Playtex drop-in nursers and wide mouthed ... I can't remember the name, LOL. Same nipple style, but reusable instead of disposable. Figured I'd put 3-4 in a ziplock bag, for $3 or so.

megs4413
07-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Do bottles usually sell if priced low? As with a LOT of the things I'm selling, these are new, but washed. They are mostly premium-style Playtex drop-in nursers and wide mouthed ... I can't remember the name, LOL. Same nipple style, but reusable instead of disposable. Figured I'd put 3-4 in a ziplock bag, for $3 or so.

yeah if they are in good shape and a brand name, they usually sell fine if priced to go. I would not put less than 3 in a package, though for sure. I would put them at $3 set to go half off.

the big thing with those, though, is that i don't know how good the display/organization is at your particular franchise. if they shove stuff like that in one large bin that people have to dig through on a low shelf somewhere, it won't sell. that's the thing with franchises, though, your experience from one to the next can be totally different because they are independently owned and operated!