PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your photos (if you have many thousands to deal with?)

twotimesblue
07-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I have tens of thousands of photos and my laptop's storage is maxed out. I've tried an external drive, but as I live in earthquake county I would also like to use an online 'cloud storage' service. I've tried a couple but uploads were painfully slow - 10 minutes to do 14 photos, and I have so many to do!

Anyone have any suggestions for great, fast, easy-to-access online photo storage?

ArizonaGirl
07-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I use shutterfly, but I am not sure if it is really a storage place so much as a retail center.

Uploads are fast though.

new_mommy25
07-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I have two ehd. One is a portable drive which I keep my iPhoto and iTunes on. The other is a desktop hard drive that I regularly backup my laptop and photo ehd on at the same time. I have my time
Machine set to back up the computer and portable drive at night. Plus, I also regularly upload a months worth of photos to Shutterfly. I like Shutterfly because I order their photo books (they do free or 50off codes a lot). You can also try Flickr for photos; they recently made the site free.

mom2khj
07-22-2013, 07:59 AM
I keep several backups. All photos are stored on an external drive to begin with. That drive, along with all the computers at our house, are all backed up online with Crashplan. This service has saved me from losing files twice now.

Also, all my pictures are "backed up" to a photo site (I currently use Smugmug and will probably stick with them for the long term). This is more for sharing, but it serves as a secondary backup as well. I prefer a dedicated hosting site, over one that's more about selling products (like Shutterfly), for this purpose. I only load to Shutterfly things that I might want to order books/prints/etc from. I use Flickr to host my absolute favorite photos.

Pear
07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
We keep our photos on our home server that has plenty of space. Once a month we make a backup copy of all our photos on an external hard drive and take it over to MILs house. We take back the drive we left at her house the previous month.

BabbyO
07-22-2013, 09:28 AM
DH uses Zenfolio for our photos. He loves it. Wish I could say more about it, but I'm not the techy in our house. We like that we can post albums and password protect them.

Seitvonzu
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
i've had my photos on flickr for several years (i have over 30,000 pictures on there). for the time being, i'm maintaining my pro-account, even though they are now offering everyone a terrabyte of storage. uploads aren't lightening quick (you can only upload 200 pictures at a time too), but i've been satisfied with the interface and to switch over at this point would be a mess!