PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever smoked pot?

rin
07-21-2013, 11:21 PM
s/o from another thread. I've read that around half of Americans have smoked pot in the past, but I got the sense on another thread that (former) pot smokers were much more of a minority on the BBB. Have you ever smoked pot?

(And just pointing out that this doesn't necessarily mean it was illegal; for example, maybe you traveled to Amsterdam!)

DietCokeLover
07-21-2013, 11:24 PM
No, I've never done any type of drugs.

crayonblue
07-21-2013, 11:30 PM
No but both of my parents have. :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Yes, I have.

sweetsue98
07-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Yes I have, in college

megs4413
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Nope. Never smoked a cigarette either.

maestramommy
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Nope. Didn't have the op when I was young and impressionable. And now don't have the desire.

crl
07-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Never smoked pot or cigarettes. Never done illegal drugs. Did drink twice prior to turning twenty one, half a beer in my college apartment and had one drink at a NYE party in high school.

if pot were legal, I would likely try it, although I am so prone to upper respiratory issues that I might not

Catherine

petesgirl
07-22-2013, 12:14 AM
No drugs, no smoking, no drinking.

Globetrotter
07-22-2013, 12:20 AM
I've never had any desire to do pot and hate the smell of any type of smoke, which also aggravates my asthma. I have had some negative experiences being around drunk folks in college and don't see the appeal of any mind-altering substances, tbh.

ellies mom
07-22-2013, 12:22 AM
A few times in college. I had a lot of friends who smoked pot quite a bit so it doesn't really bother me. It was just never really my thing.

BabyDahl
07-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Yep. (Mts)

queenmama
07-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Yes, and I am for decriminalising it as well (as is DH and he will never try it).

Lara

essnce629
07-22-2013, 03:18 AM
No drugs, smoking, or drinking either.

Kaylee31
07-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Yes I have and didn't enjoy it. Made me groggy, paranoid, and have the munchies. :/

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

georgiegirl
07-22-2013, 07:21 AM
No, but DH had and both of my parents have. I had easy access in college (to pot and other drugs), and I probably would have tried pot if I didn't have to smoke it. I've never smoked a cigarette either. I'm all for legalizing pot though.

JBaxter
07-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Yes I tried it twice. Wasn't all that IMO

hellokitty
07-22-2013, 08:06 AM
I've never had any desire to do pot and hate the smell of any type of smoke, which also aggravates my asthma. I have had some negative experiences being around drunk folks in college and don't see the appeal of any mind-altering substances, tbh.

Yeah, same here. I was a RA in college, so I had to deal with the ppl who used drugs and alcohol. I never have had a desire to try drugs or even to get drunk.

anonomom
07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
If it were legal I would like to try it.

egoldber
07-22-2013, 08:59 AM
No, although I was around it a fair bit. The smell makes me sick. Also, growing up in a household with 2 chain smokers for parents made any type of smoking incredibly unappealing to me.

Now alcohol was a totally different story. I am very grateful there were no cell phone cameras and Instagram/FB in those days.

ilfaith
07-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes. More than once or twice, but not quite semi-regularly. It was pretty regularly available in college, and in the early years of my career (in NYC...in a creative field). But it's been a good 15-20 years since I've smoked it. I know my parents have both tried it, and DH has not.

FWIW, smoking pot never served as a gateway to my taking more dangerous drugs. I have never tried cocaine, heroin, meth, or any other illegal substances, nor have I abused prescription medications (although I did once take a couple of Percocet that belonged to a friend when I had an excruciating toothache while out of town...leading to a root canal the day after we returned home).

I am in favor of the decriminalization or legalization of marijuana. I think it should be regulated and taxed in the same way as tobacco and alcohol.

mom3boys
07-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes and almost everyone I know has smoked pot, and most of them long after college ended. I know successful attorneys and physicians who still smoke semi-regularly (in their late 30's). It is not uncommon even now for us to go to certain friends' houses and for me to realize as we are getting ready to leave that DH has smoked some pot with the other husbands (I am, inevitably, the designated driver anyway).

I voted other as it's more than once or twice but not really as much as semi-regularly. It was just not really my thing (drinking was much more my thing), and I basically just stopped once my DC came along. Smoking pot was also not a "gateway" drug for me, I never really did anything else more serious.

Seitvonzu
07-22-2013, 09:45 AM
nope. but i was around it enough in college. i've never smoked a cigarette either,and probably would have tried pot if it wasn't for the "smoking" it aspect. our household is completely on the legalize pot train though. i remember the school cop in highschool telling us "if you are going to smoke,smoke pot." this was in austin, texas (high school and college)-- clearly that left a big impression on me :)

BabbyO
07-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Nope. Never had a cigarette either. But I did drink in college with some regularity...

Corie
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
No, I've never done any type of drugs.

Same here.

KLD313
07-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes but I did it when I was in my thirties after my father died. I couldn't sleep and I was so stressed and asked a friend to get me some. It served its purpose and I never slept better. I didn't smoke it regularly by any means and I didn't find it addictive at all. If I didn't have Graves Disease and have to stay away from smoke I would do it again.

lyt202
07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
I've never smoked pot or cigarettes or done any type of drugs. Even when I lived abroad in a place known for their legal pot I never had an interest in trying it.

icunurse
07-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Never. Not that I didn't have the chance or knew people in college who could hook me up. For me, it is a trust thing. I don't trust that I wouldn't be the one person to get a bad batch and either do something really stupid or die from it (joints are laced all the time with extra stuff). I don't want to trust anyone else to take care of me if I can't take care of myself due to drugs. I dont like or feel the need to "relax" (or whatever you want to call it) in a way that requires recreational drugs or get tipsy on a Friday night. Also, I would be mortified if I was in an accident and they found out that I had drugs in my system (it happens more than you think, even as a passenger or victim).

carolinacool
07-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I took a couple of hits of pot a few years back. DH had gotten it from somewhere. I was not a fan. DH smoked it most of his teenage years, and we have some friends in normal, professional jobs who still toke it up (is that a saying? LOL), on a few weekends a year.

I'm not a big consistent drinker, but if I'm out with friends, I'll have a few beers and do a shot or two.

AnnieW625
07-22-2013, 10:54 AM
No I have not. The smell of marijuana has given me a headache since as long as I can remember as our neighbors behind us and some close family friends used to smoke out occaisionally when I was a kid (this was the 1980s). Once I became a teenager it just didn't appeal to me. My grandpa died of lung cancer (due to radiation after having his thyroid removed in the 1950s and being a social smoker during his adult life) when I was 16 as well so really the thought of smoking esp. after that never appealed to me.

I tried pot brownies once about 10 yrs. ago when a friend made them, but she didn't grind up the leaves enough and I immediately spit them out.

Once of my worst hangovers ever was from getting contact high from marijuana smoke when I was 20 and at an all day music festival. That was just the frosting on the cake to make me realize that I need to stay far far away from marijuana. Most people then thought I was a little nutso, but I didn't care.

flashy09
07-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Ok....don't roll your eyes! I am with Clinton on this, for real. I have tried a few times, but never have the guts to inhale! I am nervous of both the smoke in my lungs and whatever feeling is going to occur with the high. So I blow the smoke right out and give up. Never felt a thing. Does that count??!

lizzywednesday
07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, twice.

Once to see if I could get high and once to prove my hypothesis that 2001: A Space Odyssey is better while high. This was with a guy I dated briefly when I first started working.

I wouldn't repeat the experience, quite frankly, because it took me nearly a week to recover from the smoke. And part of the reason I broke up with the guy I was dating was because of its impact on our relationship - he could always find cash for pot or going out drinking with the guys, but not for going out with me.

khalloc
07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Wow I'm surprised at the number of people who have never done drugs or even drank. I honestly thought like 90% of people drank alcohol at some point (even just socially). It seemed like everyone at my college smoked pot and tripped on acid or LSD. Pot was definitely the norm.

Fairy
07-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Never done any kind of drug ever. Did drink and party alot in college, but was a good girl in every way in HS. College was more of an awakening for me, though I wouldn't say I drank every weekend. But I had a helluva good time. Today, I don't drink, and I don't let anyone drink in my house, you can't even BYO. I worry about what would be dram shop if I were a business, only morally -- if someone left my house intoxicated and I didn't know or they slipped by, and then they killed someone, i might jump off a cliff the guilt would be that bad for me.

Anyway, no, never done a drug. Dreamed about it once! And I don't count the inevitable contact high you get at concerts ...

Binkandabee
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Never have smoked even so much as a cigarette. Just never something I was interested in doing.

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Wow I'm surprised at the number of people who have never done drugs or even drank. I honestly thought like 90% of people drank alcohol at some point (even just socially). It seemed like everyone at my college smoked pot and tripped on acid or LSD. Pot was definitely the norm.

I don't think this board accurately reflects the real world. ;)

Ceepa
07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't think this board accurately reflects the real world. ;)

I don't know what you mean by the real world. I'm not surprised by the responses here.

kep
07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Nope. Never smoked a cigarette either.

Same here.

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't know what you mean by the real world. I'm not surprised by the responses here.

The demographics on here are middle class+, highly educated... that's what I mean. They also, have shown over the years to be pretty straight laced or they just don't reply (its hard to speak up if you're clearly in the minority, especially if it is "wrong").

ladysoapmaker
07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I did it twice in the same week when I was 18. I actually get hyper from it. I was literally bouncing off the walls and my eyes were really sensitive to light, I was wearing sunglasses at night and I was still squinting as the lights were too bright. After that I decided I had no need to do it again and haven't touched it since.

Jen

elektra
07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
The demographics on here are middle class+, highly educated... that's what I mean. They also, have shown over the years to be pretty straight laced or they just don't reply (its hard to speak up if you're clearly in the minority, especially if it is "wrong").
I am not surprised about the responses here either because of this as well. I think people may be hesitant to post in the poll too, even though it is "private". My experience in "real life" is that there are higher percentages of people who have at least tried some kind of drugs, and/or underage drinking.
I did smoke pot back in the day, :18: more than once or twice but not really regularly either. It was more of a phase.

Twoboos
07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
I have smoked a few times, maybe 4 total? It wasn't my thing. I was way more of a drinker.

I am actually surprised by how many well established people I know IRL who smoke pretty regularly.

ETA: I find it kind of funny that many people posted that they would not do something illegal like smoke pot but so many people admitted to drinking underage, which is also illegal! ;)

queenmama
07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
ETA: I find it kind of funny that many people posted that they would not do something illegal like smoke pot but so many people admitted to drinking underage, which is also illegal! ;)

I thought the same thing but figured if I pointed it out I would seem biased since I admitted to being a pot smoker.

It's probably "justified" since alcohol isn't an illegal substance.

Lara

Indianamom2
07-22-2013, 01:56 PM
No drugs, no smoking, no drinking.

Same here and no desire to do so, even as a teen.

Zukini
07-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Smoked pot, no. Neither cigarettes. I have suffered with asthma so lung irritants are not my thing. I don't even do detergents with "scents" lol.

One of my girlfriends joked once after we went to see a SATC movie that we should all get together to have pasta and try some pot. We all looked at each other, and asked where exactly would we find such merchandise in suburbia lol. Target?! Imagine that, girls night with pasta and pot! Probably never going to happen!

(Note I did drink underage, but mostly because where I grew up it wasn't so much of an issue culturally, and gosh I don't even know what the legal drinking age was there.)

Jen841
07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=egoldber;383536

Now alcohol was a totally different story. I am very grateful there were no cell phone cameras and Instagram/FB in those days.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was going to throw up a lung with one puff of a cigarette, never want to smoke anything other than meat on my smoker.

OKKiddo
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
My husband and I are big ole squares. No drugs ever.

ZeeBaby
07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
I tried it once when I was in my 30s. It was more of I have never done this lets try it with my friends. It didn't really do much for me. I don't feel the need to do it again. I drink alcohol.

HannaAddict
07-23-2013, 01:56 AM
I have smoked a few times, maybe 4 total? It wasn't my thing. I was way more of a drinker.

I am actually surprised by how many well established people I know IRL who smoke pretty regularly.

I think it is funny how straight laced the responses to these are about things being illegal or wrong, but there have been so many posts over the years of people returning merchandise to stores they DIDN'T purchase it at, because they can, and the advice that is given on where and how to do it, without most batting an eye at adult behavior that is also illegal and wrong. Just sort of strange about the moral line and financial advantage that can easily override it or lead people to justify their behavior. Maybe because it is a "bargain" bulletin board . . .

kijip
07-23-2013, 02:02 AM
I was far too st8 edge for pot people. And smoke in all its forms makes me queasy. Also, my older brother nearly died of drug overdoses more than once when I was old enough to vividly remember it and young enough that it made the impression that I would never want to do any sort of drug. It made a huge impact on me. While I get that people don't die of pot (generally, unless it is laced with something or they cause an accident) and don't even like the gateway drug argument, it was just never in my comfort zone.

Pot is now being "legalized" in my state. Whatever the heck that means since it flies in the face of federal law.

Frankly though, it was not that it was illegal that kept me from experimenting and I don't really have a problem with those who did/do provided they aren't do-nothing potheads that are in some way making my life more annoying.