PDA

View Full Version : Elfa closet alternatives: Anyone try FastTrack, ShelfTrack, Homefree, Configurations?

WatchingThemGrow
07-22-2013, 06:54 AM
The last time I installed a closet organizer, there were really only 2 choices - one at Lowe's, one at HD. I used ShelfTrack in all my closets and loved them, but that was 10 years ago.

I'm looking to install more this week in our new house, and I don't know which system is better and why. Has anyone done the research on these recently? I want to get a mover's coupon (where are they now?) and buy at least 5 sets of the systems to install. Actually I think I need 7 sets - wow. My last house required 3. Sticking with the same one only makes sense.

Wife_and_mommy
07-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Highly recommend the Rubbermaid configurations deluxe closet systems. We installed them in a couple of closets that needed them in our first house. I still miss them!

WatchingThemGrow
07-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Yes, I even though I have some majorly huge deluxe closets in our current luxury rental, I miss my shelftrack system. I'll go play with configurations more...if they're the ones at Lowe's. Where did you get them? I see them on amazon.

FWIW, I called The Container Store today and asked the process. They told me all the measurements to take so their designers can arrange something for me over the next few days. I kinda want to splurge on theirs just because, but I know I should get a cost effective one at least for the kids' rooms and go Elfa on mine and the pantry.

elliput
07-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I used a basic Configurations kit for my DD's closet. I found it easy to install and set up. I do need to add some extra baskets and shelves for her, though.

craftysierra
07-23-2013, 08:10 PM
We did the Rubbermaid kit from lowes in my new closet (homefree) I think. Is the difference the shelf type?

WatchingThemGrow
07-23-2013, 09:12 PM
We did the Rubbermaid kit from lowes in my new closet (homefree) I think. Is the difference the shelf type?
I don't know! It seems like color may be a difference, and maybe adjustability vs. needing to cut. I was hoping someone else has already compared the new stuff.

AnnieW625
07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
My parents bought me (for my childhood bedroom when I was a sophomore or jr. in high school) a simple Rubbermaid system from Target or a local hardware store 20-21 yrs. ago and even though they didn't get any drawers it is still really nice and looks like it is new.

WatchingThemGrow
07-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Ok, just to update this with what I think I discovered... FastTrack is more heavy duty, has longer bars and shelf depths available. It seems more suited for STUFF storage, and is purchased by the piece IIRC. Homefree seems okay, but I'm not a fan of the overlapping adjustable shelves. The overlapping area just bothers me. Also, the telescoping rods in the store looked all finger-printy. I wasn't excited about it. Configurations seems to be sold on Amazon, Walmart.com, and Target.com. What I've finally decided is that I want the kits in hand so I can cut what I need and arrange all the stuff before we move in. I've used Closetmaid Shelftrack in the past, and had no real problems with it. I'm going to Container Store today to see the Elfa designs they created, but there's pretty much no way we can afford $700-$1500 elfa closets, sadly.

WatchingThemGrow
07-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Ok, we fell for Elfa. DH loved it, and we cut back all the closets to get them to closer to 450 for the kids' rooms, 800 for ours. We have a couple with weird configurations, and their options just seemed to make sense. It helped that the designer planned it all out, let me add and remove stuff, give different ideas, and figure out what I can add during the sale in Jan. We got all our bedroom closets for $2000. Picking it up tomorrow, installing it
Wednesday. Can't wait.