PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire or Fire HD

Dream
07-22-2013, 10:59 AM
I have an ipad2 which both DCs use most of the time, more than me and fights over it all.the.time. They're 2 and almost 5 so I guess I can't expect them to share view at the same. I've already replaced the screen once. I'm thinking of maybe buying a Kindle for one of them. I'll be using it too but I'm mostly using the iphone. I've never watched movies on the ipad but ODD watches my little pony, grimme books etc. She loves reading but can't read on her own yet.

I'm trying to decide between Fire and Fire HD. Is the Fire HD worth the extra $40?

Is the graphic not so good on the Kindle Fire?

Why is the Kindle Fire available with or without special offers but the option is not available for Kindle Fire HD? Since DD will be using it mostly I'll rather have it without special offer ads etc. easy to navigate.

Does it go on sale often or its no point in holding out for a better price?

If I get a kindle I'll probably get Kids free time unlimited too, is it worth the monthly subscription? I will probably create separate accounts for both kids so I can limit the hours spent on it when school starts?

I have Prime through a sister account, can I get the special prime rate of $2.99 for Free Time Unlimited or only the primary account holder can get the rate?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

TIA

bostonsmama
07-22-2013, 09:34 PM
There are message boards/forums just like here on amazon where customers ask the same questions. I also think you might be able to chat with someone online...my baby brother mentioned something like this the other day. He was wondering whether he could link multiple Kindles to one Amazon Prime account, and it turned out you could. He said he found out the info on an amazon forum that he googled. My bro has the Fire. I think the screen resolution is fine, but $40 is a pittance if you really think your kids will appreciate watching movies in HD or play games on apps. They usually release the new version in the late fall in time for Christmas, and older versions start to have better offers. I don't know if this will be the case, but if you don't need it right away it might be worth a gamble.

ahisma
07-22-2013, 10:10 PM
My kids have a refurbished Fire (not HD). Seems fine for them (ages 5 and 7). I'd rather pay less so it won't hurt as much if I need to replace it.

I didn't like FreeTime Unlimited. I felt like there were too many apps available, but at the same time there weren't many that I would have picked on my own. I tried it with a free trial and cancelled within a few days. For my kids, the books were over their reading level (surprising, since DS reads above grade level and it's based on age) and the apps were predominately Sponge Bob.

FreeTime itself is just parental controls and is free.