PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a smart phone?

lil_acorn
07-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I am considering entering the modern age and getting a smart phone. Tmobile appeals to me in that there isn't a 2 year contract requirement. You can either do a monthly phone plan or bring your own phone.

Where's the best place to get a good deal on an unlocked smart phone?

queenmama
07-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Straight Talk? I don't think they have "good deals" on devices since they're not subsidized, but you're not locked into a contract.

Lara

khalloc
07-22-2013, 03:04 PM
I would try ebay. I've bought non smart phones that were unlocked there before. but make sure you buy one that is for the right network.

sandwish
07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I bought one off of Craigslist. eBay does have them but I liked the idea of touching it before buying it. I am using page plus cellular. It is a MVNO that uses Verizon's network. I buy PINs online.

There are companies online that will sell phones for page plus and set up and stuff. Or you can even go to small cell phone stores, especially hose that also do repair and they will often sell used ones as well.

khm
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I am considering entering the modern age and getting a smart phone. Tmobile appeals to me in that there isn't a 2 year contract requirement. You can either do a monthly phone plan or bring your own phone.

Where's the best place to get a good deal on an unlocked smart phone?

I am with sprint. On their website you can often find refurbs that are unsubsidized, so they cost more than the same phone new and subsidized (but way less than a new unlocked phone), but they don't require a contract update. Does your carrier have something similar?

hellokitty
07-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Just be careful. One of our friends bought a phone off of amazon from a 3rd party seller and they could not get the phone to work, even though it was advertised to work with their carrier. I think amazon ended up having to step in, to sort it out.