PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Menstrual like cramps

megs4413
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
UPDATE: got worse instead of better so i'm headed to the doc in a little bit. hoping for no news basically.

I've been having these for about 24 hours now. At first, they were sorta regular but I got my feet up and such and now it's just when I stand up and walk around. Is this something that warrants a call to the doc? I don't want to make a big deal out of Braxton hicks, but I've not experienced these period like cramps in any of my previous pregnancies. WDYT?

spannaz
07-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I would call your dr. Better to be safe. How far along are you? Not to scare you at all, but I had menstrual like cramps and didn't want to make a big deal out of "constipation" and it turns out I was in labor at 29 weeks. I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it can't hurt to call the dr. And from what I understand, most Braxton hicks are generally painless. More of a pressure like feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megs4413
07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
I would call your dr. Better to be safe. How far along are you? Not to scare you at all, but I had menstrual like cramps and didn't want to make a big deal out of "constipation" and it turns out I was in labor at 29 weeks. I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it can't hurt to call the dr. And from what I understand, most Braxton hicks are generally painless. More of a pressure like feeling.

I think one of the reasons I'm dragging my heels on this is because I had PTL twice and it wasn't anything like this. 33wks with DD and 31 with DS. Since I'm only like 26 wks now maybe that is the difference?

georgiegirl
07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I would call the doctor, especially with your history of preterm labor.

BunnyBee
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Drink a ton of water and put your feet up. Call the doctor of course, but in the summer, I bet you're a little dehydrated and over-doing things.

sarahsthreads
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Drink a ton of water and put your feet up. Call the doctor of course, but in the summer, I bet you're a little dehydrated and over-doing things.

Yes, I'd think this is pretty likely (I had a bit of cramping like that last week when it was in the high 90's and extremely humid and I was forced to be out and about shuttling kids to the places they needed to be) but that's why the doctor has after-hours lines. Call them and either let them reassure you or send you in for a bit of monitoring to be safe.

Sarah

TxCat
07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Call the doctor. Better to be safe, and they usually prefer to know these things sooner than later. In the meantime, rest and drink lots of fluids.

brittone2
07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Another vote for call the doctor. My contractions were like that for most of my entire labor with DS1 and DD. I wasn't sure I was in full, active labor at all with DD and I was 10 cm dilated when I showed up to the birth center, feeling badly about making the MW come in at 10 pm. DD was born an hour or so later (water hadn't broken and they were letting me just progress on my own, so fortunately she didn't come flying out even though I was at 10 cm for a while). And she was my second child, so it wasn't as if I didn't know what labor is like. I'd say 2/3 or more of my labor with DS1 was also mostly menstrual type cramping and just general tightening that wasn't particularly painful.

With your history, definitely call. As PPs said hopefully you just need some water, etc. but I'd call first since you have a history of PTL. Hang in there.

Nemesia
07-22-2013, 09:49 PM

My OB has advised this in the past when I've had menstrual like cramps. She said if they didn't go away with lots of water and rest to call. They always went away, and I took it as a sign that I was overdoing it.

spannaz
07-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Megs4413- update? How are you doing/ feeling?

megs4413
07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Megs4413- update? How are you doing/ feeling?

I'm OK. I have mostly been trying to stay off of my feet, which is saying something since I'm already on modified bed rest. The ctx were really brought on on sunday when we went shopping. it was just too hot out. I am staying inside until the temp gets back down under 95. thankfully we have a cold front moving through in the next couple days and that should help. Unfortunately, my DH went back to work this week (he has been working from home full time since March-ish) so I'm on my own with the kids. If the cramping starts up again, I will definitely go into the doc. I think you are all right about it being an early labor sign. I always have this problem in my third tri (activity = contractions that change my cervix) but it has started earlier this time. I may call and see if they want me to move my appointment up a week. I am not set to go back until august as of right now.

if anyone wants to send some mojo my way, though, i've been on the waiting list for a heart monitor for more than a week now and I really, really need it so we can evaluate my pregnancy-induced arrhythmia to see if we will be making any special arrangements for delivery or if I need medication. it is really stressful to have my heart out of whack. Thanks for checking on me!

spannaz
07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Sending you tons of mojo for that heart monitor, and that baby stays put! Keep those feet up mama, although I can only imagine how tough that would be without DH around. Thinking of you!

BabyBearsMom
07-24-2013, 01:23 PM
My doctor always said drink a big glass of juice and lay on your left side for 15 minutes. If they persist, call.

Philly Mom
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Drink lots and I agree with BabyBearsMom to lay on your left side. I find laying on my right side can make things worse. I would still call the OB and let them know. Sending PT your way.

Liziz
07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Here's another vote to get checked out.....I had similar crampy feelings (a little later, maybe 32 weeks?) .... I put off doing anything for several days b/c I didn't think it was anything. It turns out it was bacterial vaginosis (sp?) that was irritating my uterus. The baby was fine (and I don't think BV is really a risk to the baby)....but I needed abx to make it go away.