PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Costa Rica?

Fairy
07-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I wanted to go to London, but once again, no. I'm never going to get there :-(. If you've been to Costa Rica, you are my first line of google defense, so if you don't mind, here are some questions before I go elsewhere.

* DS is about out of a booster, DH doesn't wanna schlep it. I"m terrified some foreign driver (ahem, us) will get us into an accident.
* Do we need anything special like shots or something?
* We're at a Hilton all inclusive resort somewhere nearish to San Jose. Anything experiences?
* We're renting a car and driving from the airport. This scares the sh*t out of me. Thoughts?
* Any good recommendations for a rain forest tour?
* I think I'm too heavy to zipline. What do you think is the upper weight requirement? I guess if a beefy football player goes ...
* I'm afraid to venture off property without a tour. Am I justified?
* I don't do oceans, paralytic fear of fish. But I'd do a boat thing ...

So, any comments are appreciated.

DietCokeLover
07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
I have been, but it was before I was married or had dc. Costa Rica is wonderful. I was going to be staying in the very rural areas in the jungle, so I had a shot (gamma globulin). I think that is the only one I had.
There is an amazing resort near the Arenal volcano. Hot springs, beautiful flowers, etc. It's called Tabacon. You ought to check it out for a day trip.

Candyshop1999
07-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Costa Rica is AMAZING!!! Love love loved it. We didnt go with our children (it was BC) but can not wait till they get a little older to bring them there. We did a canopy (zip line tour), was great (hubby is about 240). Also did a rainforest tour on a boat and a canyon tour which was crazy fun. Didn't get to see the volcanoes, hot springs or cloud forests, but hope to on our return trip:) They (mostly) all speak English and have 4 year college degrees as the govt pays for it. (no armed forces to pay for).
I would def bring my booster/car seats. The roads are crazy. If you don't want to leave your resort sans tour, why even rent a car? I would be afraid of getting lost!
We like it better than Hawaii. One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at and the service/food was 5 stars all the way. LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!

sntm
07-23-2013, 11:01 PM
I drove around on my own when I went (solo trip after divorce when DS1 was with XH for thanksgiving). Felt totally safe. A stranger even changed my flat tire for me.

Fairy
07-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Costa Rica is AMAZING!!! Love love loved it. We didnt go with our children (it was BC) but can not wait till they get a little older to bring them there. We did a canopy (zip line tour), was great (hubby is about 240). Also did a rainforest tour on a boat and a canyon tour which was crazy fun. Didn't get to see the volcanoes, hot springs or cloud forests, but hope to on our return trip:) They (mostly) all speak English and have 4 year college degrees as the govt pays for it. (no armed forces to pay for).
I would def bring my booster/car seats. The roads are crazy. If you don't want to leave your resort sans tour, why even rent a car? I would be afraid of getting lost!
We like it better than Hawaii. One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at and the service/food was 5 stars all the way. LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!

Well, DH has a friend who's been there many many times, and he planned the vacation around the friend's thoughts. He recommended a Marriott, but we ended up at a Hilton all inclusive resort. I really want to zipline, I'm just kind of terrified that I'll be too heavy, but your DH's weight we good to know, I feel a bit better. Still, it scares me. Also, when it comes to renting a car, DH says that the cab will cost $130 each way, so we're better off renting a car. I'd rather live on a zipline for a day then drive in a foreign country other than Canada, so I'm very scared, here. Are we better off with the cab? There is no shuttle, apparently.

Fairy
07-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I drove around on my own when I went (solo trip after divorce when DS1 was with XH for thanksgiving). Felt totally safe. A stranger even changed my flat tire for me.

Well, ok, now there's this. Hmm. Maybe I should be less terrified?

vtmom
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I traveled there 12 years ago (BC) on my own for a few days before meeting up with DH. I felt totally safe. I was on a major budget at the time and used buses, walked and a taxi here and there. No help re: traveling there with kids, but I always remember it as being a great trip! Have fun!