PDA

View Full Version : Petty BP - thanks secretary for telling me I was an ugly preggo!

janine
07-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Well she didn't quite say it that way..but after the Royal Baby was announced to be a boy, she said outloud "Oh I KNEW it was a boy, she looked so wonderful and girls steal your beauty!" This was out in the open floor space where everyone can hear.

Then she looked at me and said "like with you I knew you were having girls!"

I said somewhat lightly, "oh because they stole my beauty?"

To which she said "oh...well uh no, just you grew all over and your face looked ... different."

Wow, glad to know! As if work isn't fun enough I get such lovely self esteem boosters. And all I wanted to do was gossip about the royal baby!

BunnyBee
07-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Ouch! I'm sorry. Well, now you can take your Administrative Professionals Day contribution and go get a facial. ;)

DietCokeLover
07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Oh my word. That is unbelievable.

janine
07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh my word. That is unbelievable.

seriously, I rolled with it and laughed at first. But a day later, it sits with me and I keep thinkging wow I must really look bad (let's just say I doubt I transformed back after they were born).

ZeeBaby
07-23-2013, 10:07 AM
That is so rude! Totally unbelievable.

mommylamb
07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
OMG, I'm sorry but I had to laugh! Who on earth says that????!!!! Talk about open mouth, insert foot!

TwinFoxes
07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Serious foot in mouth disease! That's just awful.

I'd never heard that stealing your beauty phrase before, and I read it in a book a few days ago. And I think someone mentioned it in a royal baby thread. So it must be a (not very nice) phrase. I guess that's one rude comment boy moms don't have to put up with!

brittone2
07-23-2013, 10:54 AM
OMG, I'm sorry but I had to laugh! Who on earth says that????!!!! Talk about open mouth, insert foot!

Exactly. What a nut job. Everyone says something stupid from time to time, but that's beyond awful. What a witch. I'm sure you look great, OP.

elektra
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
:yeahthat:
Brutal! She is probably mortified.

specialp
07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
WTH???? Wow!

georgiegirl
07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
That's horrible. I got a similar comment from a friend, "I can tell you are having a girl because you have back fat." Um, thanks.

lkoala
07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Sounds like she is jealous. Besides, the Princess has eyes on her all the time and has to be made up all the time. That would be exhausting. I'm sure she looks like the rest of us when the cameras are not on her.

BabyBearsMom
07-23-2013, 12:28 PM
WTH! What a freak! I think you should say "So if my female fetus took away my looks, what is your excuse?"

Globetrotter
07-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Ouch! How rude.

i took dd to my old workplace when she was a baby. She was a stunning baby.. Well, the CEO told me something along the lines of how could she have come from me. Yeah, as if I didn't already have issues with my appearance at the time. The hr director immediately dove in and changed the topic. The CEO was not a vey tactful person in general, to say the least.

queenmama
07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
WTH! What a freak! I think you should say "So if my female fetus took away my looks, what is your excuse?"

Haha! Nice retort!!

Lara

HonoluluMom
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
WTF - who says something like that?

janine
07-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone, this secretary has no kids by the way and no stunner but also no filter and can whip out some low balls.
Still doesn't mean they don't sting! Meanwhile I dragged my a$$ into the office every day while 9mo's pregnant in the middle of August commuting on trains, cars and by foot through NYC to the office, so cut me some slack on swollen everything! Plus this was 2 yrs ago, was it that terrifying that you are still commenting? Ugh.

arivecchi
07-23-2013, 03:03 PM
WTF - who says something like that? Someone with zero social skills!

OP, next time, be prepared to say "what an inappropriate thing to say" and leave. Let her wallow in her stupidity.

Dream
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
WOW, she definitely shouldn't have said that.

I thinks its an old wive's tale, where I come from its a popular belief, "girls steal mothers beauty and become beautiful", this is one way family members would guess whether you're expecting a girl or boy. With both my pregnancies, I hated the way I looked, changed skin color, black marks all over etc. but you do get your beauty back:)

Sweetum
07-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Ouch! I'm sorry. Well, now you can take your Administrative Professionals Day contribution and go get a facial. ;)

:yeahthat:

ETA: I always thought it was the other way around, at least for normal peeps who don't have make-up and hair stylists all the time :) when I was pregnant with DS, I had the expanded/flattened nose, the darkness around my neck, too much hair everywhere and the works. And the ones I know who were having girls looked great! I always thought it was the hormones from the baby due to its gender (or something related to it) that made it that way.

Sweetum
07-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone, this secretary has no kids by the way and no stunner but also no filter and can whip out some low balls.
Still doesn't mean they don't sting! Meanwhile I dragged my a$$ into the office every day while 9mo's pregnant in the middle of August commuting on trains, cars and by foot through NYC to the office, so cut me some slack on swollen everything! Plus this was 2 yrs ago, was it that terrifying that you are still commenting? Ugh.
what???!!!

Fairy
07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Even if it was two years ago, I hope you told her to go f*ck herself.

zukeypur
07-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Ugh!!!! What a b!tch!

I was working when I was pregnant with DD2 in the summer in Houston. I was super swollen and had pitting edema. Our secretary (what is it with secretaries!?!) said "oh yeah, you are really swollen all over. I can even see it in your nose." My NOSE!? REALLY!? The one part of my body that I wasn't concerned with at that moment, and my nose was fat too.