PDA

View Full Version : Car in shop, DH out of town, babysitter a no-show. *updated*

anonomom
07-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Ugh, what a crappy week this is turning out to be. On Friday, a piece of road debris ripped at quarter-sized hole in my car's cooling line, leaving me without a car and looking at at $700 repair bill. I hope I can get it back today, but DH is out of town so I'd been planning on taking a cab to the shop while our babysitter watched DS and the girls are in camp (the one week all summer I put them in camp. Of course). In the meantime, DH's car only fits all three kids if you put the seats in juuuust right and click them in in a certain order. It's an enormous pain in the rear to take all three kids anywhere, so I really, really needed the babysitter to watch DS while I drove the girls. So of course she texts me to say she won't be showing up today. Of course. Now I have no way of getting my car at all until maybe Friday. And I'm stuck shlepping DS everywhere.

Update: Two new little wrinkles: the part they need to fix my car is now backordered and they don't know when it will be in; having no way to get my car before Friday is now moot because the part won't be here by then anyway. And the babysitter missed today because they were putting their dog down -- a totally reasonable excuse and now I feel like a hag for having been annoyed.

I just ordered an inflatable booster for DD for overnight delivery, that should ameliorate the carseat problem. I'm loath to rent a car on top of the unexpected cost of fixing the car.

123LuckyMom
07-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh, that's terrible! I'm sorry!

wellyes
07-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Yuck. Rent a minivan? It's a week, it's probably worth the $$ and the hassle of reinstalling the seats.....
I'm sorry your babysitter is undependable. The whole point of the job is to be dependable!

HonoluluMom
07-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Everything seems to happens at once, but the babysitter texting last minute that she would be a no show, aaargh.

Kindra178
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Sorry this is a tough week. Can you ask the shop to deliver it? I have done this a few different times. Might be worth $40 in tip and cheaper than renting. (Sorry to add advice in bitching post).

MamaMolly
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Since the delay is on their end can you ask the repair shop for a loaner? Can't hurt to try. Or maybe your insurance company can help out? I've had car woes this week too. It totally stinks!!

BunnyBee
07-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Depending on your policy and the specifics of what happened, your car insurance (comprehensive) could cover the repair and rental.

Hope next week is better!

123LuckyMom
07-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Since the delay is on their end can you ask the repair shop for a loaner? Can't hurt to try. Or maybe your insurance company can help out? I've had car woes this week too. It totally stinks!!

I also would check with the repair place. I dropped the rental coverage from my insurance, but my dealership (where I get the car repaired) will give me a rental for delays that are on their end, like an ordered part or an inability to figure out the problem. I'd certainly check with your repair place about getting a loaner.

anonomom
07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
I have asked for a loaner, and I'm on the waiting list for one. I hadn't thought about whether insurance would cover this, but since it's damage from road debris, maybe they will. Thanks for the tip!