PDA

View Full Version : UPDATES in post 10 & 15--Solid color tunics for preschool girls?

crl
07-23-2013, 06:53 PM
UPDATES IN POST 10 & 15

Anyone seen any not-too-expensive solid color tunics or swing tops for preschool girls? Dd is starting preschool this fall and I think tunics or swing tops and leggings would work best for her being independent with the potty. I already have some patterned leggings and would like to find solid color tunics that would work with them; possible colors are brown, dark pink, red, yellow, denim or purple. I have looked at a few places online and haven't come up with much. . . .

Thanks!
Catherine

boolady
07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I know you said not too expensive but DD had these a few times, and I always loved them. Of the colors you listed, there is yellow, blue (not denim), and a medium pink. They'll have to get marked down at some point, I would think. I never paid full price for them.

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC&pcid=26&styleid=40318&simg=40318_04T

crl
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks! I was hoping for more in the ten dollar range. I am assuming they will get trashed at preschool as dd loves to paint and is not neat.

Catherine

Nooknookmom
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
I sent dd in her hannas to ps & Kindy. I don't have separate home/school clothes.

think of it this way...u will wash ALOT and the $10 tunic will fall apart way before a hanna that may cost $15-20 (on sale) will.

I still have hannas that went thru ps and kindy that she wears! great shape. i mix clothes too and her target/ON items can't take the beating.

I try to do Hanna tops/dresses w/ ON/GYMBO bike shorts. I also have ON tops in there and gymbo tops ($5 sales!!)

I ONLY buy on sale and across the board her Hannas/gymbo stuff has worn best. oh and her boden too....

baymom
07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but have you tried putting her in her own old knit dresses that are now 'tunics' on her? DD has several old dresses she still loves and continues to wear even though they are mid thigh on her (more tunic than dress). A lot of knit dresses were generous in the waist enough when I first bought them, so definitely work as tunics. I'm so glad I didn't donate or toss them!

ETA--we wear them with leggings/jeans for modesty!

crl
07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I sent dd in her hannas to ps & Kindy. I don't have separate home/school clothes.

think of it this way...u will wash ALOT and the $10 tunic will fall apart way before a hanna that may cost $15-20 (on sale) will.

I still have hannas that went thru ps and kindy that she wears! great shape. i mix clothes too and her target/ON items can't take the beating.

I try to do Hanna tops/dresses w/ ON/GYMBO bike shorts. I also have ON tops in there and gymbo tops ($5 sales!!)

I ONLY buy on sale and across the board her Hannas/gymbo stuff has worn best. oh and her boden too....

My Hanna experiences haven't been that great overall (love the unders and the deck pants). I have had Target stuff hold up better than Hanna. So I am just not going to pay even $15 for a Hanna top, especially given how their shipping charges pile on to the out of pocket cost. I just can't justify the cost per wearing based on my experiences. Gymboree has been worth the cost to me, but I'm not seeing anything on their site at the moment.

And I had a really horrible Boden cs experience and refuse to ever buy anything from them again no matter how cute or cheap or durable it is.

I know, BBB heresy.

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but have you tried putting her in her own old knit dresses that are now 'tunics' on her? DD has several old dresses she still loves and continues to wear even though they are mid thigh on her (more tunic than dress). A lot of knit dresses were generous in the waist enough when I first bought them, so definitely work as tunics. I'm so glad I didn't donate or toss them!

ETA--we wear them with leggings/jeans for modesty!

She has a couple of dresses I do this with, but nothing that goes with these leggings.

I was just hoping I could find some inexpensive solid tunics to go with the leggings and pull together a few inexpensive outfits that way.

Thanks!
Catherine

crl
07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Thought maybe I should add where I have looked so far--all online

ON
TCP
JCP
Sears
Gymboree
Gap
LE
Target
Walmart
Nordstrom
H&M
Next Direct
American Apparel
Carters
Etsy

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Catherine

TwinFoxes
07-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Did you see these at LE?
http://www.landsend.com/products/girls-short-sleeve-solid-shirred-neck-t-shirt/id_250565#

they are A-line, and I would call them swing tops. I bought some or DDs, and they fit close to a tunic (although not as long. Cute colors too.

crl
07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Did you see these at LE?
http://www.landsend.com/products/girls-short-sleeve-solid-shirred-neck-t-shirt/id_250565#

they are A-line, and I would call them swing tops. I bought some or DDs, and they fit close to a tunic (although not as long. Cute colors too.

Amazing given the huge color selection, but they don't have any of the colors I am looking for. The light pink might work, but nothing else. This is when I curse hand me downs. So nice to get free clothes but so often they are individual pieces and I can't find stuff to go with them.

Thank you!

Catherine

crl
07-24-2013, 01:50 AM
UPDATE

I ended up ordering from Carter's/Oshkosh. I found a fifteen percent off code (not valid on clearance) and got free shipping and 2.5 percent back from ebates. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend, but very close to my $10 per top goal and overall I think I will be happy.

I bought a sleeveless yellow tunic, a short sleeve dark pink tunic, a three quarters sleeve purple tunic and a three quarters sleeve denim top that looks to be A-line. I also got a clearance frog t-shirt that will go with an aqua pair of orphaned pants. Each top goes with at least two bottoms we already own. All total the five shirts were $52.72, shipped and including tax.

Thank you all!
Catherine

novmber
07-24-2013, 01:50 AM
naartjiekids.com, fAll 1 has a solid essential tunic in some of those colors.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

PMJ
07-25-2013, 10:26 PM
I get all of DD's tunics from Kohl's. (Jumping Beans brand) - I remember seeing a few solid colors.

AnnieW625
07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
UPDATE

I ended up ordering from Carter's/Oshkosh. I found a fifteen percent off code (not valid on clearance) and got free shipping and 2.5 percent back from ebates. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend, but very close to my $10 per top goal and overall I think I will be happy.

I bought a sleeveless yellow tunic, a short sleeve dark pink tunic, a three quarters sleeve purple tunic and a three quarters sleeve denim top that looks to be A-line. I also got a clearance frog t-shirt that will go with an aqua pair of orphaned pants. Each top goes with at least two bottoms we already own. All total the five shirts were $52.72, shipped and including tax.

Thank you all!
Catherine

Can you post what you got?

I am thinking about picking up some Hanna legging at Costco (they have worn well for my DD1) as they are $15 for 2 pairs and have some cute patterns. Plus I might also have some hand me downs as well from DD1.

I hear you on Gymboree not having a lot of plain stuff and for us Hanna tees have been too short or too boxy so I get that complaint too, and with Boden I don't like the prices most of the time.

crl
07-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Can you post what you got?

Sure. They haven't arrived yet so I can't comment on colors or sizing. Dd is wearing 4s on top mostly so I was able to buy from the kid girl page.

Denim top: http://www.carters.com/carters/3/4-Sleeve-Chambray-Top/V_273B077,default,pd.html?dwvar_V__273B077_color=C hambray&cgid=carters-kid-girl-tops&start=

frog t-shirt: http://www.carters.com/carters/Cap-Sleeve-Graphic-Tee/V_273A716,default,pd.html?dwvar_V__273A716_color=S tripe&cgid=carters-kid-girl-tops&start=

purple tunic: http://www.carters.com/null/TLC-Tunic-in-Solid/887044288959,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops&start=

yellow tunic: http://www.carters.com/null/TLC-TUNIC-IN-SOLID/887044184299,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops&start=

pink tunic: http://www.carters.com/null/TLC-Tunic-in-Solid/887044260245,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops&start=

crl
08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Updating for Annie:

They came and dd has worn the three tunics. I love the pink one with the bow at the waist. Super cute style, IMO. The yellow has quite big armholes, not a big deal, but just a bit odd to me. The purple is basically just an extra long t-shirt. I do like that it has three quarters sleeves as they provide a bit more coverage for cool days without need the sleeves rolled for general length and without need them pushed up to wash hands. They all fit--seem to be the equivalent of a Gymboree size 4. Functionally the tunic with leggings thing seems to be just right for a newly potty trained three year old.

She hasn't worn the frog t-shirt or the denim shirt yet. The denim shirt is very cute though and it should go with just about anything. The frog t-shirt is meh, IMO. Okay but nothing special.

Hope that helps,
Catherine