PDA

View Full Version : Beyond annoyed.

petesgirl
07-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I just got back from shopping, where I wanted to pick up some of those little plastic fruit cups for DS to snack on when we go places. I knew I didn't want fruit packed in syrup, so I found some packed in water. But, guess what? They contain artificial sweeteners?
! Are you kidding? It's fruit! So sick of companies putting crap in my food!

SnuggleBuggles
07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
I hate that. I discovered the stupid artificial sweetener problem a few years ago. They sneak it into too many things. Hence why I rarely shop at mainstream stores anymore.

JenChem
07-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Dole has fruit packed in juice. Pineapples in their own juice and peaches, oranges, pears in apple/grape/lemon juice. No added sugar/sweetener. It's the only brand I can find in juice.

BDKmom
07-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Dole has fruit packed in juice. Pineapples in their own juice and peaches, oranges, pears in apple/grape/lemon juice. No added sugar/sweetener. It's the only brand I can find in juice.

That's what I get, too. Then I pour out the juice before I give it to DS, mainly to keep him from making a mess.

I have had the artificial sweetener thing get me too. I'll get so excited when the package says less sugar. Of course I think this means they have just put in less sugar. Oh no. It means they have added artificial sweeteners. Why can't they just make some stuff less sweet? Especially cereals and yogurt and things like that. Those things are just sickeningly sweet and don't need that much sugar!

sariana
07-23-2013, 08:32 PM
ITA! I noticed that a while back, too, and now I am more careful about what I buy. (Please tell me why "natural" popcorn needs Sucralose!)

And to add my own complaint, why do fruit snacks need artificial colors? The natural color of the fruit isn't good enough?!? (I'm talking about you, Nutri-Grain bars, though you're hardly alone.)

anonomom
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
This is one of my pet peeves, too. I absolutely HATE when food companies claim they're adding less sugar to a food for kids, then go ahead and put artificial sweeteners in. Quaker did that a few years ago with oatmeal. It's maddening -- what's wrong with simply making the food less sweet?

zukeypur
07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Costco used to carry the mandarin oranges packed in juice, but they stopped and only carry their own brand packed in syrup. :/

sariana
07-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Costco used to carry the mandarin oranges packed in juice, but they stopped and only carry their own brand packed in syrup. :/

The Dole brand has been back at our Costco for a few weeks! We bought some just today, in fact. Fill out a comment card; maybe your warehouse will get them back, too.

petesgirl
07-23-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm sure it is all consumer demand, it's just scary to think how many parents these days must not care one bit what their kids eat! I try hard not to support companies that add artificial junk and hfcs.

BunnyBee
07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
No way! I wouldn't even think to check that. I have gotten them from Trader Joes and WF before, so at least those should be safe.