PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment over cancelled trip

ilfaith
07-23-2013, 10:22 PM
So today I found out that our family will not be able to travel up north for our annual trip to see friends and family this summer. Our original plan was to drive up from Florida to NY/NJ this weekend and stay for two weeks, returning a week before the boys start school. DH was supposed to have a business trip for a few days during the first week of our trip, but it would be fine, because I would just stay with the kids at my parents' house. Then late last week, two more business trips were added to his schedule...one this week to California...returning Friday, and another 3-4 day trip the second week our our planned trip to NYC. So now it doesn't make sense for DH to spend four days on the west coast, returning Friday, then have to spend two days driving up north, only to travel to Ohio and back, then spend his only free weekend of our trip driving up to Connecticut for my cousin's baby's baby naming, then to have to fly down to North Carolina the following week, and finally return to NJ and drive 900 miles back home to Florida. Obviously I get this. It would be a lot of travel and really no reward for him, since he would have minimal time to spend with his own family and friends.

I looked into airfares, thinking that maybe I would just fly up with the boys myself, but at this late stage, the prices were too high. I just don't think I have the stamina to do the drive myself with three boys (DH and I would have split the driving had we gone together). A four or five hour drive would be fine, but two full days of driving up I-95 with a 9, 7 and 4-year-old would be excruciating.

But I haven't been back "home" for a year, and while my parents have visited, and we met my brother and his family for a cruise last Christmas, I do have other family and friends who I miss. And I know they will be disappointed that we won't be coming up (particularly the ones who can't afford to bring their families down to see us). We are the ones who moved so far away, so I feel it should be up to us to go back and visit.

The other frustrating thing is it took all summer for us to figure out exactly when we were going to go up north because DH couldn't confirm his work travel schedule. If we had been able to make plans back in March or April (or had I know we would not be going away at all), I could have gotten my kids into the camps where I'd originally wanted to send them (rather than a couple of weeks at the mediocre camp at our rec center which had space available at the last minute). So part of me feels like this summer has been a big bust between the less than stellar camp for the kids, and no big vacation for the family.

While I love where I live most of the time, I do miss many things about New York. I was hoping for a couple of nice restaurant meals, maybe a Broadway show (with plenty of family around, we'd have free babysitting)...originally DH and I had even discussed leaving the boys for a night or two and checking into a hotel.

DH did say that maybe we will be able to go up over winter break...but then there is always the weather to worry about...and the fact that my Florida family doesn't have much in the way of cold-climate gear. Of course I would love for the boys to see snow...but that's not guaranteed in late December.

elliput
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you think it necessary to cancel your trip. That is quite a long drive, but not impossible IMO. I solo drove my kids (8 & 4) on a similarly lengthy trip earlier this summer, and it was actually quite pleasant.

California
07-24-2013, 02:40 AM
Your husband's got a very very full schedule!! It's so tough to carefully make plans and then have them completely derailed by something out of your control. You must miss your extended family very much and look forward to these visits all year. My three kids are close in age to yours and we have done 12 hour road trips and one 15 hour road trip (each way) without DH and it did work out just fine, but it takes a lot of prep. With your DH out of town now and the trip supposed to be happening this weekend it must feel like a scramble. Could you split up the drive over three days? Maybe a relative would be willing to fly to wherever you are for the second or third day and help you drive? Sorry if making suggestions isn't welcome, just brainstorming for anything that might help you.

ilfaith
07-24-2013, 08:50 AM
The other issue is that for part of the trip we were supposed to stay (in the city) with friends of DH. I don't know them well enough to be comfortable staying there without DH, so even if I did do the drive myself, we wouldn't have a place to stay in NYC. Also, for the second week of my trip I would be staying at my in-laws (on Long Island) without DH to run interference (they are wonderful people...but they drive me crazy). I could cut the trip shorter, but then it wouldn't seem worth the drive.

elliput
07-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah. Probably best to forego this year. I'm bummed for you. :(

WatchingThemGrow
07-24-2013, 09:22 AM
So sorry! I totally understand how these things hurt!!! (I moved to FL - from TN- as a teen and totally missed my friends, cool air, etc.) Can you reschedule your trip for the holidays and maybe find affordable flights? (I just spent 12 hours on I-95 with DH and 3 DC younger than yours. excruciating.)

♥ms.pacman♥
07-24-2013, 09:47 AM
so sorry. we are going to CA to visit my parents this weekend, and i have not been back "home" in 1.5 years! i too miss it (mostly the weather!) it's just so hectic to deal with vacation travel on top of DH"s unpredictable travel schedule. really stinks, i'm sorry :)

ilfaith
07-24-2013, 12:35 PM
The kids have more than two weeks off for winter break, so we will probably try to go up then. And I am hoping I can fly up for a long weekend some time this fall...spend a day or two with my family in NJ and then spend a couple of days seeing friends in the city. I'd love to go up in mid-to-late October for some real autumn weather, and it would be fun to be in the city over Christmas (especially since Chanukah will be so early this year, at least the cold weather and city lights will put us in the holiday sprit even though OUR holiday will be over)...maybe we can drive a little north of the city, where there is likely to be snow.

Meanwhile, we'll stay in Florida and enjoy the cooler temperatures (I think it's been hotter in the NYC area this summer than here) and central air conditioning.

liz
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I am sorry OP. How disappointing :(

Sent from my Galaxy phone using Tapatalk

Kestrel
07-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Have you looked into the train? We are in the process of looking into a family trip that way. Traveling, but being able to get up and go to the bathroom! Or get a snack! Or change a diaper!
Might be worth looking into!