PDA

View Full Version : Not ready! UPDATED in OP

TxCat
07-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Well, my amniotic fluid level/AFI is dropping and my OB is threatening to do my c-section this Friday (37 weeks), if my fluid drops lower by my Friday OB appointment. At least I'll be term, but I'm not ready, for all stupid reasons! Didn't get my hair cut/highlighted in time (appt. next week), haven't set up the bassinet and Rock-n-Play yet (realize this can be done in less than an hour, but still), haven't yet done the make-ahead food to freeze and have ready when I come home and in the first few weeks, didn't get my new PJs yet, etc. All totally stupid reasons, but still I'm freaking out a little bit. I'm hoping that some intensive rest and hydration the next three days will delay delivery at least another week.

*** today is the day apparently. Fluid is too low to keep going. At least I got my haircut and highlights yesterday!

*** update 2 - delivery went well but baby girl is in NICU now because her oxygen saturation kept falling. She's getting CPAP O2 and an IV for sugar water (can't feed while she is on CPAP). Sad and stressed that she's not with me, that we can't nurse, and that I don't know how long this will be for. :(

georgiegirl
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Yikes! How scary and exciting all at once.

sarahsthreads
07-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Oh, lots of hugs! I don't think any of those things are stupid.

If it were me, first thing tomorrow I'd call the salon and ask if there's *any* way you can get in before Friday - a cancellation, or maybe your stylist would be willing to come in a bit early or stay a bit late to accommodate you? Because you want to feel good about yourself and it's going to be a while before you're up to going out and doing that after baby arrives!

Then I'd get my bag packed, including going out and getting my new PJs. Or if you can order them with two-day shipping from somewhere, do that with your feet up! (While drinking your water!)

Unless there's something specific you wanted to make ahead for food, I'd just lay in a bunch of boxes of pasta and/or some fast & easy things like taco makings. We didn't really freeze anything ahead, and it was OK. We might not have eaten any three-course gourmet meals, but between DH and I we managed to make enough reasonable dinners to not be ordering pizza every night. ;)

And then when your DH gets home from work tomorrow, have him set up the bassinet and Rock-n-Play. If necessary, pull out the tears and/or pregasaurus.

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll get your extra week!

Sarah :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Very best of luck!!

Philly Mom
07-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh, lots of hugs! I don't think any of those things are stupid.

If it were me, first thing tomorrow I'd call the salon and ask if there's *any* way you can get in before Friday - a cancellation, or maybe your stylist would be willing to come in a bit early or stay a bit late to accommodate you? Because you want to feel good about yourself and it's going to be a while before you're up to going out and doing that after baby arrives!

Then I'd get my bag packed, including going out and getting my new PJs. Or if you can order them with two-day shipping from somewhere, do that with your feet up! (While drinking your water!)

Unless there's something specific you wanted to make ahead for food, I'd just lay in a bunch of boxes of pasta and/or some fast & easy things like taco makings. We didn't really freeze anything ahead, and it was OK. We might not have eaten any three-course gourmet meals, but between DH and I we managed to make enough reasonable dinners to not be ordering pizza every night. ;)

And then when your DH gets home from work tomorrow, have him set up the bassinet and Rock-n-Play. If necessary, pull out the tears and/or pregasaurus.

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll get your extra week!

Sarah :)

ITA. Call and tell your stylist why you need to get in. Pizza, take out, trader joes, wf, are your friends. Use them. Good luck!!

bostonsmama
07-23-2013, 11:16 PM
I agree...TJs' frozen entrees are the next best thing to "I made it ahead and froze it," b/c honestly you can't get as few ice crystals as they get in-factory when flash-freezing food. I never made a single thing ahead before DD came, and I don't think I'll be doing it when DS arrives this fall. Defrosting massive entrees and casseroles takes too much forethought!

Ditto calling the salon...although I KNEW I was going into labor and my stylist was out that day...and I used another stylist. Not my favorite hair cut, but I gave birth 8 hours after I left the salon...and my hair was pretty sleek and smooth by day 2 even after some intense pushing. :)

Bummer on the jammies. Hugs. That sucks. I'm assuming you've already ordered them and they'll take a while to arrive? Sometimes it's not worth $15 to rush the shipment of stuff...esp if you can enjoy them when you get home.

Praying your fluid levels go up...and skip the watermelon and broccoli for a while.

TxCat
07-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the support ladies!

Ok, RnP is out of its box (finally!) and set up. Bassinet/cosleeper is halfway there - set up, just need to wash the liner tomorrow morning while I'm at work. Of course, we have no actual crib right now - our handyman picked it up today to repaint before the baby arrived. (Crazy pregnancy nesting - I couldn't deal with looking at all the chips and scratches anymore).

Called my hair stylist early this evening - while totally sweet and understanding, she's going on vacation Thursday -Sunday and I'm at work all day tomorrow. :( I'm going to have to accept my dark roots if this baby comes on Friday. Hopefully I can find some good way to minimize it for pictures.

I didn't make anything to freeze in advance last time, and I sort of regretted it because I just ended up eating lots of pb&j and oatmeal the first few weeks! I haven't checked out the two TJs that opened up here last year, but it sounds like now is the time. I have Thursday off, so I'll try to tackle that then.

The PJs - I have to talk to DH about - my bday is next week and they were on my bday list. Maybe now an early bday present?

Thanks again ladies for talking me off of my crazy ledge! You would think I would have learned to be better prepared the second time around.

TxCat
07-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Praying your fluid levels go up...and skip the watermelon and broccoli for a while.

:eek: I've been eating watermelon the last couple of weeks. I figured it was high water content and nothing too scary. What am I missing??

Nemesia
07-24-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't think you're crazy at all... I'd be feeling the same way! Glad you got some things on your to-do list accomplished, or partially accomplished. I would definitely check out Trader Joe's if you have time. They have some lovely prepared foods, both to tuck in your fridge and your freezer.

Good luck!

georgiegirl
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Definitely go to trader Joes to get some frozen meals. That's my plan. Sorry that you can get in with your stylist. Is crazy how your little one might be here in a few days. At least you don't have to worry about your DH wanting to go to the mall with your mom while you are in the hospital...lol.

scrooks
07-24-2013, 08:38 AM
:eek: I've been eating watermelon the last couple of weeks. I figured it was high water content and nothing too scary. What am I missing??
I am wondering this as well!

Good luck TxCat!

TwoBees
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Sending P&PT!

123LuckyMom
07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm sending P&PTs, too!

TxCat
07-25-2013, 10:20 AM
At least you don't have to worry about your DH wanting to go to the mall with your mom while you are in the hospital...lol.

:hysterical:

I thought about that too. But DH is doing one thing after the other to put himself in the doghouse this week. At this point a 3-day stay in the hospital solo is sounding good!

I googled some of the midwife forums - supposedly coconut water is good for increasing amniotic fluid? I'm going out to get a lot of coconut water today... I feel like mentally, I need another week.

Philly Mom
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
:hysterical:

I thought about that too. But DH is doing one thing after the other to put himself in the doghouse this week. At this point a 3-day stay in the hospital solo is sounding good!

I googled some of the midwife forums - supposedly coconut water is good for increasing amniotic fluid? I'm going out to get a lot of coconut water today... I feel like mentally, I need another week.

Fingers crossed that the baby can stay put. My water broke at 37.5 weeks and I really could have used that extra week. I was finishing up multiple matters at work that I ended up handling while in labor. I had intended for the following week to get myself together. We all need that time. Drink lots and keep off your feet to the extent you can when you are a doctor.

georgiegirl
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Hopefully the coconut water will help. I'm trying to get as ready as possible because I'd also freak out if baby decided to arrive now (even though im technically full term today.). DH is scheduled to work another 2 weeks. Last night we started talking about contingency plans and he wants me to keep towels in the car.

Nemesia
07-25-2013, 11:48 AM

My midwife friend recommended coconut water too. I couldn't find one that I could get down, so she suggested this electrolyte drink: http://www.amazon.com/Emergen-C-820340-Electro-Mix-30-count/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374767099&sr=8-2&keywords=electro+mix
It has a lemon-lime flavor and is much easier for me to drink. I found it at my local health food store near all of the vitamins/supplements.

Best of luck to you!!

bisous
07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
I hate that feeling. Good luck TxCat. Hope you get everything done that you wanted!

TxCat
08-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Delivery update in OP.

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Good luck!!!

georgiegirl
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Good luck! I can believe you will have your little girl in your arms by this evening! So glad you will have an August baby after all.

arivecchi
08-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Congratulations! Hope your baby girl gets better soon so you can hold her!

westwoodmom04
08-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Congratulations! My second was in the NICU for about a week due to tachypnea; I can vividly remember how unexpected and scary it was. Hopefully, they will be able to get a good read on things and give you a timetable soon, that will help a lot, and of course, hoping you can hold her very soon.

Momit
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Congratulations! All the best to your family.

mommylamb
08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Congratulations, and I hope she will be with you soon.

TwinFoxes
08-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Congratulations and hugs. :hug: The nicu can be very scary. I hope her stay there isn't long at all.

bisous
08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Your baby girl is here! Congratulations! Sending vibes for healthy and happy mom and baby.

goldenpig
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Congrats! I hope she gets better soon so you can hold and feed her! Wishing you both all the best.

georgiegirl
08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Hugs. Hopefully she will be out of the NICU and in your arms soon.

larig
08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Sending your babe PTs and loads of hugs your way.

kdeunc
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Congratulations! I hope your little one will have a short NICU stay!

sarahsthreads
08-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Congratulations! I hope the NICU stay is very short and you get some quality snuggle time soon!

Sarah

Tondi G
08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Mama and welcome to the world little one. I hope her stay in the nicu isn't long. (((HUGS)))

lmh2402
08-02-2013, 09:29 PM
congratulations! hope she's snuggling with you soon

Philly Mom
08-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Congrats! Hope you get lots of cuddles in soon and you are feeling ok.

turtledove
08-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Congratulations, hope she is out of the NICU soon!!

AnnieW625
08-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Congratulations and I hope she is out of the nicu soon. :hug:

citymama
08-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Oh my! I missed the original posts! Wow! Congrats, mama, on your new baby - and your birthday present! Happy birthdays to both of you. Hope she is out of nicu very soon and you can enjoy some cuddles! Love her up!

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I hope she is back with you soon!!

DualvansMommy
08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Big congrats to you & family! Hopefully little one will be out nicu ASAP & plenty of cuddles galore coming her way!

Cate

scrooks
08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Congrats! So sorry about the nicu stay. We went through this unexpectly as well. If it makes you feel any better DS went home on time, is now 2.5 weeks old and doing great! I totally understand your frustration, especially not being able to nurse! Good luck! Lots of p and t your way!

mom3boys
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Congrats on your baby girl! PT for a short NICU stay!

theriviera
08-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Congratulations on your baby girl! Sending lots of hugs and PT for a short NICU stay.

Nemesia
08-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Congratulations on your sweet baby girl!

TxCat
08-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

She's still in NICU and I feel like I'm fighting lots of uphill battles to try to wean her off CPAP, oxygen, etc. I want what is safest and best for her, but I also feel like my interests (getting baby out of NICU ASAP) and NICU's interests aren't lining up right now.

scrooks
08-03-2013, 07:14 PM
?...but I also feel like my interests (getting baby out of NICU ASAP) and NICU's interests aren't lining up right now.
We had that very same feeling.....good luck! I hope she gets released soon!

ourbabygirl
08-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Congrats on your little girl, and P & PTs for a quick stay in the NICU so you can take her home to be with the family!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Congrats and sorry about the unexpected nicu stay and the struggles with feeding baby in the nicu..BTDT with DD and i know stressful it can be. sending lots of hugs and prayers that she doesn't stay in the nicu long. Keep us posted!!

rin
08-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Congrats and sorry about the unexpected nicu stay and the struggles with feeding baby in the nicu..BTDT with DD and i know stressful it can be. sending lots of hugs and prayers that she doesn't stay in the nicu long. Keep us posted!!

:yeahthat:

Our DD1 ended up in the NICU unexpectedly, and we quickly developed the nasty feeling that the hospital was primarily concerned with making sure they ran through all the CYA procedures, and that they weren't including us in their decision making process at all WRT feeding/procedures/etc. In our case it only lasted 3 days before they released her, though. Hugs and here's hoping that she's out soon!

elektra
08-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Congrats TxCat! I hope she is home soon!

KpbS
08-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Congratulations! Thinking of you and your little one and praying she is growing stronger by the day. :hug:

MamaMolly
08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Congrats, Mama! My Lula was a 36 weeker with only a 4 day NICU stay, but it was the longest 4 days of my life. Heartfelt kudos to you and all parents going through it, it's stressful. I hope your little love is home soon :heartbeat: