PDA

View Full Version : What did you wear/plan to wear in the hospital after baby's birth?

Nemesia
07-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm just now starting to think about what to put in my hospital bag. I know I'll want something comfy/breastfeeding friendly to wear in the hospital after the baby is born. Yoga pants with a nursing friendly shirt? Pajamas? Any suggestions?

wendibird22
07-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I just wore the hospital gown. Less laundry, less to pack, and less to destroy with blood. I was only there 24 hr and really didn't mind the few family members seeing me in a hospital gown.

kaharris83
07-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I was also only in the hospital 24ish hours after delivery and mostly wore the hospital gown. I also brought a robe and wore that over the hospital gown to keep me warm.

Philly Mom
07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I wore pjs and yoga pants with nursing tank or other tank.

maybeebaby08
07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
With DD1, I was in so much pain I just stayed in the hospital gown. With DD2, I felt really good and was there for almost 3 days,so I wore yoga pants and nursing friendly nightgown top. I'd pack dark clothes just so you have them if you want them.

georgiegirl
07-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Just started packing my bag yesterday, and I put in two pairs of yoga pants (one Capri and one regular), a nursing tank, a nursing bra, 2 t-shirts, and a ribbed tank top. Last time, I just stayed a day.

Just looked at the pics from after DS was born, and when the moved me down to the new baby floor, they gave me a nursing friendly knit cotton nightgown to wear. I'm pretty sure I just stuck with that because it was easier to care for down below while not wearing pants.

sarahsthreads
07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
With DD1 I wore the hospital gown the whole time - and I had a c/s so I was there for four days. I had so many pictures taken of me holding the baby in that gown and I hate every last one. For DD2 I brought oversized stretchy capri-length pj pants and a t-shirt (which I wore over a nursing bra). Felt much, much better about that! They didn't get messy, but I did wear the hospital gown overnight while I slept, maybe that's why?

This time I have a couple of nursing nightgowns which I've been wearing for a while because they're all that fit over my big ol' belly, and I'll toss whichever one is clean in the bag on my way out the door. (Hopefully the pink one. The lavender is not a good color on me. But it was on sale. And either way, they're both more attractive than those hospital gowns!) I'll add a nursing bra underneath, both to hold pads and for a bit more support.

With DD2 I was only there for 36 hours, and I hope to be out in the same time frame this time, but I definitely felt better all around in my own pjs when I was awake for the day and had visitors.

Sarah :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I was out in 20 hours after ds1. Never changed out of the gown till time to leave.

No gowns at the birth center. Changed into yoga pants and a comfy shirt. Left 7 hours postpartum.

mmommy
07-24-2013, 09:24 PM
With DD1 I just wore the hospital gown and thought nothing of it.
But with DD2 I threw a stretchy, sleeveless maternity dress from Target into my bag for some reason. It was really comfy, easy to nurse and sleep in, and I felt less like a "patient" in it. Although I'm sure that also had to do with the difference between a c-birth and a VBAC. Yesterday i passed the dress to a neighbor to enjoy.

Liziz
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I wore the hospital gown with a nursing tank under it. I had a robe for when I walked around outside of my room. It was easy, I didn't worry about getting blood on anything, and I was in quite a bit of pain down there, so somehow thinking of wearing pants made it worse. I'm not big on clothes so it doesn't phase me that my early pictures of DD were in an ugly hospital gown....I was in the hospital, after all! I was there about 40 hours, so not terribly long.

PZMommy
07-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I was there for 5 days. I wore the hospital gown for the first day or two. Then I wore some maternity night gowns that I brought. I went home in capris and a t shirt both times.

abh5e8
07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
i brought a variety...capri and yoga pants, tanks, t-shirts, robe and a stretchy wrap style maternity dress. (over the course of 3 hospital births) and i was very glad to be out of the gown as soon as possible. the clothes, lots of showers and sitting up helped me to feel more "normal" and, i think for me, that helps me to recover more quickly. (but, i had easy, vaginal births and so not as much to "recover' from).

oh, and some type of slippers or flip flops were a must for me. i did not want to walk around bare foot. :)

mikala
07-24-2013, 11:29 PM
I wore a nursing tank and threw on a cardigan or tshirt when I wanted more coverage. I wore dark old Navy foldover skirts on the bottom after the initial crazy bleeding slowed.

megs4413
07-25-2013, 12:40 AM
i brought yoga pants and a tshirt both times. only in 24 hours both times. I hate hospital gowns and I wanted out as soon as possible. I wore jeans home both times with a tshirt and a hoodie.

todzwife
07-25-2013, 12:45 AM
I was so glad I brought everything I did since I ended up staying for 4 days. I had 2 inexpensive nursing gowns from Walmart a pair if lightweight pj's and a robe that was my life saver!!

YouAreTheFocus
07-25-2013, 02:03 AM
I bought 2 super comfy nightgowns at Macys to bring to the hospital. I have an aversion to hospital gowns. I changed into a nightgown as soon as I was admitted!

BDKmom
07-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Both of my DC were born in the morning. I wore the hospital gown the rest of that day and night, then showered and changed into a nursing tank and yoga pants the next morning. Went home that afternoon.

TxCat
07-25-2013, 11:36 AM
This first time I wore the hospital gown the first day and a half. Then I wore my Gap capris and a maternity tank.

This time I'm bringing two new pjs - one gown, one pants and top, and a comfy jersey robe. This thread inspired me to order some nursing tanks, a jersey dress and a foldover skirt from ON this morning.

Nemesia
07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas, ladies!

bisous
07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
I wear my pretty jammies. I pick a good color and roomy and I do my hair and make up every day (c-section mom so I'm there for at least a few days!) I know that the hospital should just be all about comfort but *I* feel better when I'm feeling pretty! I really want a new robe this time around. I want this one from Amazon. Bonus that the pattern would seem to deflect any potential stains (sorry for the TMI!, lol)

http://www.amazon.com/Natori-Womens-Bella-Rocca-Multi/dp/B00B7FHW3A/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1374781547&sr=8-10&keywords=natori+robe

stinkyfeet
07-28-2013, 12:42 AM
I wore the hospital gown too bc things (at least for me) were kind if messy after birth. I also liked the idea of packing less.

bostonsmama
07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Ugh, that monstrous hospital gown looked abyssmal on me. I ditched it as soon as possible. I got a lot of use out of a simple, black Motherhood crossover nursing dress (knee-length). I delivered at 4am, and after my first shower around 9am, I changed into that dress. I wore a sleep nursing bra underneath so it was super easy to nurse. I wish i had left the Boppy at home b/c the hospital pillows were enough to prop DD up. It just got icky & needed washing as soon as I got home.

I did wear the hospital mesh panties (LOVE these things) and their boat-like, nonsticky pads in that early, bleed-like-crazy stage. I had a long, fuschia cardigan (mid-thigh-length) that I wore over the nursing dress in case visitors came (b/c I thought the nursing pads showed through the sleep bra and dress). I wore a LS black maternity T, an ON foldover waist skirt and that cardigan on the way home the next morning. Even though it was a touch over 24 hours, it felt like forever. I hated being woken every 4 hrs for BP, pulse, temp, etc.

Simon
07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
I've ended up with unexpectedly long hospital stays. Ds1 I wore the gown + robe mostly. Ds2 and Ds3 I put on my own clothes pretty soon. I liked pants under a long cross over nursing top with a cardigan or open front hooded top for warmth (it was winter). Socks and flip flips were also my good friends.