PDA

View Full Version : Why am I still on FB?

Fairy
07-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Ok, I just have to vent. I realize this is nebulous, but I have to say it somewhere. I can't say it on FB cuz it's about a good lot of 'em. I've just had it up to HERE. From the holier than thou to the self-entitled to the just plain crass. Why not unfriend them? I can! I have for some! But sometimes you get roped in or you just don't have a choice cuz they're your MIL or something.

1. YOU, are an idiot. And I hate that I have to be friends with you because if I'm not the political fallout will suck.

2. YOU #2, need to stop with the political posts that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, not to mention the random crap sent to you by your dog's groomer's hairdresser's cousin that if you only went to snopes or even just gave it more careful thought or even considered the random source without an accredidation, you would see IS RIDICULOUS. Just stop cuz I hate thinking this about you.

3. YOU #3, I don't care about your 472nd post about the little league score/jerseys/wx/competition/cleats. STOP.

4. YOU #4, are you happy ever? Ever, is there ever a time when things go right with you? Ever in the history of you? Because you post four times a day, and I think you have every illness on earth, your children have found every way possible to trash your house, and every job you've ever had since I've known Syou for the last ten years you've found a reason to hate, quit, get fired from, or report to some watchdog entity. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Sometimes happiness is a choice.

5. YOU #5, you don't know everything about subject X. I know you think you do and will go out of your way to wrongfully correct me about things, but you do not. And BTW, your FB photo is so obviously photoshopped.

6. YOU #6, 7, and 8, I get it. You voted me off the island. That's fine. Please unfriend me, then, cuz your posts about the island that I'm no longer part of say more about your need to partake in ridiculous HS behavior than it does about what you're doing that I don't get to be part of anymore. And FTR, yes, he DID do what she said he did, the fact that she's a shrew that we all voted off before you voted me off notwithstanding of the fact that he is YUCKY.

7. YOU #9, I'm so freaking mad at you. I want to tell you, but if I do, you'll think X, and nothing good that way comes.

8. You, #10, stop using my wall to communicate with me personally and start using effing email, because that's what it's for. And just because you're gay and a Star Trek fan and a democrat does not mean we are friends, because you are one effing piece of work. and I've asked you sixteen times to stop using DS's name on my wall, so STOP IT.

Thank you.

o_mom
07-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Thank you for renewing my resolve to stay off social media!

SnuggleBuggles
07-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Hide them. No fallout ("oh, I must have missed that update!") and you don't have to see it.

sarahsthreads
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Hide them. No fallout ("oh, I must have missed that update!") and you don't have to see it.

Exactly this. And since Facebook "decides" what's important enough to show in your newsfeed - which, btw, drives me nuts because it clearly thinks I mainly want to see pictures of my foodie friends' meals instead of, oh, anything else - it's a completely legitimate excuse that nobody will question. :)

Also, you can make certain people "acquaintances" - which they won't know about - and then set certain statuses (statusi?) to only show for "friends-but-not-acquaintances" to cut down on the "I know more than you about every topic" commenters. I do this for people I feel I can't unfriend or block but don't want to have ready access to everything I post.

Sarah :)

elliput
07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I have several people (including a cousin) whose updates are limited to "life events" only for many of these same reasons.

westwoodmom04
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Exactly this. And since Facebook "decides" what's important enough to show in your newsfeed - which, btw, drives me nuts because it clearly thinks I mainly want to see pictures of my foodie friends' meals instead of, oh, anything else - it's a completely legitimate excuse that nobody will question. :)

Also, you can make certain people "acquaintances" - which they won't know about - and then set certain statuses (statusi?) to only show for "friends-but-not-acquaintances" to cut down on the "I know more than you about every topic" commenters. I do this for people I feel I can't unfriend or block but don't want to have ready access to everything I post.

Thank you so much for sharing this, could be lifechanging! I have dozens of people I could care less about clogging up my newsfeed, hopefully, this will help.

MamaMolly
07-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Fairy I hate your 'friends' for you. And I hate not being able to unfriend people because of the potential fall out. :(

Fairy
07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

I've already hidden a couple of these people, the others I didn't think I should for one reason or another, but I think two are going into hide. the acquaintance thing I didn't know. I saw that you could do that now, but I'm so distrustful of FB that I'm afraid to make any upgrade or use any new feature, so when it tries to take me thru something I just keep telling it no. I'll go take a look at that for moving some of these people into acquaintance status. I'll also employ the life events thing. And in case anyone is wondering, none of these apply to any of the few people here I FB with. Obviously, but just in case ... I don't do passive aggressive.

SummerBaby
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok, I just have to vent. I realize this is nebulous, but I have to say it somewhere. I can't say it on FB cuz it's about a good lot of 'em. I've just had it up to HERE. From the holier than thou to the self-entitled to the just plain crass. Why not unfriend them? I can! I have for some! But sometimes you get roped in or you just don't have a choice cuz they're your MIL or something.

1. YOU, are an idiot. And I hate that I have to be friends with you because if I'm not the political fallout will suck.

2. YOU #2, need to stop with the political posts that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, not to mention the random crap sent to you by your dog's groomer's hairdresser's cousin that if you only went to snopes or even just gave it more careful thought or even considered the random source without an accredidation, you would see IS RIDICULOUS. Just stop cuz I hate thinking this about you.

3. YOU #3, I don't care about your 472nd post about the little league score/jerseys/wx/competition/cleats. STOP.

4. YOU #4, are you happy ever? Ever, is there ever a time when things go right with you? Ever in the history of you? Because you post four times a day, and I think you have every illness on earth, your children have found every way possible to trash your house, and every job you've ever had since I've known Syou for the last ten years you've found a reason to hate, quit, get fired from, or report to some watchdog entity. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Sometimes happiness is a choice.

5. YOU #5, you don't know everything about subject X. I know you think you do and will go out of your way to wrongfully correct me about things, but you do not. And BTW, your FB photo is so obviously photoshopped.

6. YOU #6, 7, and 8, I get it. You voted me off the island. That's fine. Please unfriend me, then, cuz your posts about the island that I'm no longer part of say more about your need to partake in ridiculous HS behavior than it does about what you're doing that I don't get to be part of anymore. And FTR, yes, he DID do what she said he did, the fact that she's a shrew that we all voted off before you voted me off notwithstanding of the fact that he is YUCKY.

7. YOU #9, I'm so freaking mad at you. I want to tell you, but if I do, you'll think X, and nothing good that way comes.

8. You, #10, stop using my wall to communicate with me personally and start using effing email, because that's what it's for. And just because you're gay and a Star Trek fan and a democrat does not mean we are friends, because you are one effing piece of work. and I've asked you sixteen times to stop using DS's name on my wall, so STOP IT.

Thank you.

I am totally with you ! In fact, I would love to just cut and paste this and post it as a status update. :).

wellyes
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
You seem to enjoy getting mad about these people, though, so there's that.

BunnyBee
07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Hide 1-9 if you can't unfriend them, and block 10 from being able to post on your wall. I cleaned up my list to be only people who I actually can stand. If I wouldn't invite you into my home for a meal, buh bye!

Fairy
07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Hide 1-9 if you can't unfriend them, and block 10 from being able to post on your wall. I cleaned up my list to be only people who I actually can stand. If I wouldn't invite you into my home for a meal, buh bye!

Interesting you would say this. #10 invited HIMSELF to my home for a meal and a sleepover. It's a long story. He's in the armed forces and had to be in my area. He's 55 years old and somehow doesn't have his act together enough to stay in a hotel for the night, he has to show up unexpected with 20 minutes advanced notice and expect room and board. I'm not exaggerating. We've known him for 20 years. I don't wanna go into it, but suffice it to say, he's a piece of work. He means well, he really does actualy come from a good intent, but he's not my favorite person.

Fairy
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
You seem to enjoy getting mad about these people, though, so there's that.

What's your point?

BunnyBee
07-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Interesting you would say this. #10 invited HIMSELF to my home for a meal and a sleepover. It's a long story. He's in the armed forces and had to be in my area. He's 55 years old and somehow doesn't have his act together enough to stay in a hotel for the night, he has to show up unexpected with 20 minutes advanced notice and expect room and board. I'm not exaggerating. We've known him for 20 years. I don't wanna go into it, but suffice it to say, he's a piece of work. He means well, he really does actualy come from a good intent, but he's not my favorite person.

Ha! Okay, maybe then the rule should be people you'd enjoy inviting to your home?

wellyes
07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
What's your point?

That Facebook is really entertaining. There is a reason everyone is on it even though it is sometimes frivolous or ridiculous or weird. It's compelling.

Fairy
07-26-2013, 11:29 AM
That Facebook is really entertaining. There is a reason everyone is on it even though it is sometimes frivolous or ridiculous or weird. It's compelling.

Really? That didn't sound at all like what your point was. Huh ... I kind of thought you were trying to say that I was enjoying the drama of it. And I was like, wait, this IS the bitching post, right? I didn't place a bitch in the lounge accidentally or get in anyone's face about anything that didn't impact me at all, or be passive/aggressive or nuttin', right? So that's what your commqent seemed to be saying. But it wasn't. Thanks for clearing up your intent.

That said, there is a reason people are on FB. I don't presume to believe everyone's reasons are the same. Thanks for giving me the space to bitch, though, wellyes, as I rarely take the opportunity to do so.

citymama
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I would totally be off it if 1-9 represented my principal interaction with people on FB. I have hidden the feed of those offensive or annoying people from my newsfeed and tightened my privacy settings so they can't see my posts or photos. What does annoy me is the constant requests from work related people who I do not want to have as my personal FB friends! So I've put them all in one category, and they can only see posts from me when I tag it under that category. They're also in a list called "No photos" so they can't see any of my pics other than my profile pic.

The angry libertarians and conspiracy theorists who were annoying me seem to have figured out I had hidden my Wall from them and have unfriended me. Whew.

I love FB for the ability to keep in touch with my friends and family around the world and coo over new babies and first birthdays and weddings and the like. I've also "liked" a number of the causes that were clogging up my inbox so I can follow these groups (human rights, environment, women's rights, progressive issues) in one place.

See if you can make it work your way or maybe consider deleting your profile and starting afresh!

JBaxter
07-26-2013, 01:40 PM
It takes like 10 seconds to deactivate your account.

Fairy
07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
It takes like 10 seconds to deactivate your account.
Yeah, you're right, jbax, it, like, totally does.

TwinFoxes
07-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I thought the OP meant to be, and actually was funny. :) And I am someone who loves FB. I had one friend who always posted she needed coffee, was drinking coffee, or had had too much coffee. And one if my cousins posts such stupid faux profound things. But in person he's super fun and loves my DDs, and I've known him forever. I hide most of his posts though.

JBaxter
07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm a facebook addict it amuses the crap out of me. I actually have 4 accounts.

jent
07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I am totally with you ! In fact, I would love to just cut and paste this and post it as a status update. :).

Ha! I could totally see that going viral.

Fairy, apparently I'm friends with #2, #3, and #4. Actually multiple #4's! I just keep scrolling. I probably should hide them but I'm too lazy.

JustMe
07-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Ha! I could totally see that going viral.

Yuck, does not sound fun. And, yes, thanks for reminding me that its good I don't do FB and there really are reasons to avoid it!

I have to agree with the above, though! Sounds like one of those funny "Reasons not to do FB" articles". Very well-written and humorous!

Corie
07-27-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm a facebook addict it amuses the crap out of me. I actually have 4 accounts.

Out of curiosity, why do you have 4 facebook accounts?