PDA

View Full Version : Moms of Tweens- Tell Me about Justice

westwoodmom04
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
It's inevitable that we start shopping at Justice, my daughter is begging for me to buy her some clothes there. She is going into 3rd grade, tall, and extremely skinny (very difficult to find pants that fit at the waist). We've mainly been buying her clothes at Boden (their slim cut pants will usually work), Lands End (for slim size pants mostly). Hanna (for some tops and pjs), Nordstrom, and I've recently started buying things for her at Zara and Next (not quite slim enough pants). Are there frequent sales so it's foolish ever to pay full price at Justice? How is the quality and sizing?

Neatfreak
07-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm curious, too - we saw that one opened in our local mall, and I was nearly blinded by all of the neon walking past! My daughter's eyes lingered, though ...

kristenk
07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
We have just made the transition to purchasing more clothes from Justice. DD is going into 4th grade. I think the clothes are somewhat hit or miss. DD didn't find anything she liked a year or so ago, but her favorite shorts this summer are from Justice. She's fairly thin and the shorts actually fit her. Some have an adjustable drawstring at the waist, which is nice. We've purchased swim suits, shorts and tees this summer. So far, they're holding up well and they're DD's favorite clothes. I wasn't paying attention to the length of some of the shorts that we purchased and they ended up being too short to wear to school/camp. The tees fit well. I usually size up just a bit for short sleeve tees. Oh, I almost forgot! DD loves their undies. They fit her well.

Definitely use coupons. I'm not quite up on all of the coupon/saving strategies with Justice. We ended up with two different types of buy $x/save $y cards on our most recent purchase. The entire store is 40% off fairly frequently. Or you get 40% off coupons in the mail. I don't think you can combine the reward buy$x/save$y card with the 40% off storewide savings, but I'm not sure. No matter what, don't pay full price. Sales are frequent.

egoldber
07-25-2013, 12:33 PM
We have a few things. I agree with the PP that their shorts can be too short, so pay attention. But otherwise we have mainly bought denim and khaki shorts and some cute SS t-shirts. There is plenty of stuff there I wouldn't buy, but also plenty that is very cute IMO. The quality has been fine to above average. She has a pair of dance/yoga capris she wore 3 times a week for dance for a year and are still going strong! Sizing seems to be "normal" although again I agree to size up in the slim fitting t-shirts.

I do think it is overpriced, so most of my tween's wardrobe comes from Kohls and JCPenney.

But my rising 7th grader really isn't interested in shopping there much any more, so it definitely seems to be late elementary thing.

AnnieW625
07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
My DD1 (7) is just starting to shop there and she has a tee shirt, a beach towel that folds into a bag, a cute bag with her initial on it (that she has yet to use, but I think will in the next year or so), a denim print romper (she has yet to wear, but it is cute) and some flip flops. I do agree with Beth and Kristen that is over priced and that the clothing styles can be hit or miss. They have some cute swimsuits that were somewhat retro in style, but still kid friendly this year. The quality does seem pretty good though. I do miss the more preppy styles from Limited Too, which is what Justice was in the early 90s, but if you peck around you can find some cuter stuff.

DD1's best friend and her best friend's older sister who is going into the 5th grade wear bits and pieces of it, but the oldest sister who is going into the 7th grade doesn't wear it at all anymore.

Our local Justice store seemed to be having 40% off the entire store a lot this past spring.

WestwoodMom04, my DD1 (48" and 43-45lbs or so fully clothed w/shoes!) has had really good luck with Old Navy Bootcut jeans in slim. The skinny jeans were too skinny in the legs for her so we got the bootcuts and I am really glad they made them in a slim cut. I also got her some slim cut cords from The Gap last fall and those worked out quite well too.

erosenst
07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Never EVER pay full price. Everything is on sale (40% off) much of the time. For a few years, it's worth signing up for both the email and catalog to get the coupons. There are other times when none is needed, and the whole store is 40% off.

In full disclosure, a close friend (DD9 calls him Uncle X) is one of their senior designers, so we're in there a LOT. As soon as that started, I instituted an "I have complete and total veto power" rule. It has DEFINITELY come in handy. What's funny is that among DD's friends, the moms have different 'ok' and 'not ok'. I'm fine with glitter - if a 9 year old can't be tacky, who can be? I'm not ok with things that I consider to be too hoochie - and there's a fair amount of that. Both by 'my experience in the store' and talking to Uncle X, there has been a slight move towards more conservative - they're trying to get a slightly more affluent demographic to buy more. Think more tankinis (instead of just bikinis, as was the case 3 years ago), fewer cropped tops that weren't meant to have a tank under, etc.

Having said that - we have a RIDICULOUS number of t-shirts from there, and have over the last 3+ years (See: close friend...designer...HIS designs). Almost all have worn much much better than I would have expected. The sizing is a little frustrating - some run very very slim, where others are close to generous. DD only wears leggings in the winter, and for whatever reason we get those from Target, not Justice. We haven't had much luck with shorts either - they just don't fit her that well, or are much more expensive than similar from Old Navy or Target. As I think about it, not sure we've ever bought a dress from there either - they're pricier than similar other places, and never anything that has made me say "that's cute/different enough it's worth the extra money".

Their panties are great, and wear very well. A little more expensive than Target - but a little thicker and a little softer. Many of DD's friends like their bras (sigh - yes, we're at that stage) but DD has preferred others. Lots of 'comfy jammies'.

Hope this helps - happy shopping!

momtoonegirl
07-26-2013, 03:04 PM
DD just really started buying clothes from there this spring. We have always gotten at least the 40% off discount, and many times there is a "flash sale" when there is 40% with an extra 20% (adds up to a total 52% off) the entire purchase. Flash sales usually occur around holiday weekends. DD actually fits very well into their slim fit pants and jeans. She is 7, very tall and slim, currently wearing size 8 slims that fit her well. As the pp stated, some of the shorts are too short and I won't buy them, but the Bermuda shorts are very nice. We have also bought some of the tanks and tees. Other than some of the glitter and decor coming off in the wash, the material itself has been very durable.
Although I buy many of DDs clothes from Justice, she still likes Target, Kohls, and Naartjie clothes too.

westwoodmom04
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have to admit that the neon and glitter scares me a bit; but I'm sure now that we will find some cute things for her there.

Nooknookmom
07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
In DD1's day I was called "limited too" and the quality and styed were AHHHHH-mazing! Then right when dd sized out they switched to justice.

Dd2 has a swimsuit that has held up really well and a couple if tees a friend gave her. The skirts and shorts the friend gave her were too short for us (very hoochie IMHO).

I miss the limited too. :(

We r still in Hanna, ON and gymbo. I may pick up something for fall and see if the qulity Is there. But NO hoochie shorts for us!

wendibird22
07-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks OP for this thread. DD1 is 6 and well, we've lasted in Carters (mostly) till now. Getting ready to do back to school shopping for her and was wondering about Justice (I have two older nieces who went through Justice phase and we have a few 6 and XS hand me downs that aren't too bad). I'm thinking I'll stick to TCP and Kohls this year.

MaiseyDog
07-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I find justice to be fairly hit or miss. We like the basics - jeans, shorts, plain t-shirts - but I have a hard time finding other peices that pass my "not tacky" test. I don't mind a litte glitter or sequins, but I am not sending DD to school looking like she's headed for a night club. Also I am really sick of mustaches on everything. I try to go to Justice when DDs are not with me because the fight over what I will and will not buy gets to be too much. If I dig I usually can find a few things, and like I said it's great for basics for us. Both DDs are slim and their pants and shorts fit well. Also DD2 refuses to wear any pants with buttons so the knit waist line has been a lifesaver. We have knit wast shorts and bluejean capris that are really cute. I haven't tried the knit waist jeans but plan this fall.

Beth24
07-29-2013, 10:51 AM
My DD is 10 and from 8 to 10 she went nuts for all the glittery, super trendy stuff up in happy to say she outgrew it pretty fast. Like other posters DD is slim and their jeans and jean shorts fit her well. So do their bathing suits and sweat pants. I've been happy with the quality. The latest Justice obsession is their sports bras and bralettes. Although DD has no development I can see she wears one every day!

Sweetsunshine
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
My DD going into third grade begs me to go there all the time. I let her pick out some things for back to school and definitely have veto power. Which I end up using 80% of the time. I've found so far everything washes well and no shrinkage. But the biggest problem is the sizing is so inconsistent. I agree never pay full price there are sales all the time.

I reluctantly signed up for the coupons and am kind of glad I did because I just got one in the mail for an extra 20% off the flash sale. The entire store is already 40% off but the prices are so inflated. It's like shopping at Kohls you need all the coupons to get a decent deal. Good luck with your next shopping experience and bring some Tylenol! All the sparkle and bright colors will give you a headache.

squimp
08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
My DD is 9 and she doesn't like bling so we only buy their jeans. The jeggings are nice but I would not say they are super slim. For super slim kids, lots of moms like Abercrombie kids.

And never pay full price, ther is always some sort of coupon.

mom2binsd
08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Dd is 10, she loves a lot of their stuff, they fit her skinny body well. She is in love with her new sleeping bag, it big enough and pretty soft too. LOVE the athletic shorts and tips, the bras are very soft. Love the skin sizing too. No color fading or shrinkage, good sales especially the clearance area. Dd doesn't go for most of the overly blingy stuff. I'm amazed at how well the sequins stay put too. Our sales girls are very helpful too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Twoboos
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Just an FYI, I've seen quite a lot of Justice stuff at TJMaxx and Marshall's in the past week. I bought a few shirts for DDs ($9.99) that didn't offend me too much, LOL, and a bunch of cami's ($7.99).

westwoodmom04
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I have to admit that some part of me has been avoiding the store because a not small portion of the merchandise takes me back to the eighties.

jenmcadams
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I think others have covered it pretty well - never pay full price, sizing is a little small for us (but my DD is more athletic build than super skinny), and we mainly did basics with some hoodies/t-shirts. My DD's interest in the store was gone by middle of 5th grade, so it seems relatively short lived (although she still likes to grab earrings or toy/junk from there and their training bras and cami tops are soft). Now that my DD is heading into middle school, the clothes don't fit what she likes

emily_gracesmama
08-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Sadly I gave my 8yo the Boden catalog last night and she said she didn't like anything in it. I think we will be hitting mainly justice and gap this fall. I tend to limit what she can get. Some stuff hurts my eyes it is so bright. But I think the clothing wears pretty well. I do tend to hang the shirts though. Thankfully my little one dog eared about ten pages of Boden. Their swimsuits held up well this summer and I actually got the Justice ones at Marshall's this spring.

jerseygirl07067
08-13-2013, 08:02 PM
It's inevitable that we start shopping at Justice, my daughter is begging for me to buy her some clothes there. She is going into 3rd grade, tall, and extremely skinny (very difficult to find pants that fit at the waist). We've mainly been buying her clothes at Boden (their slim cut pants will usually work), Lands End (for slim size pants mostly). Hanna (for some tops and pjs), Nordstrom, and I've recently started buying things for her at Zara and Next (not quite slim enough pants). Are there frequent sales so it's foolish ever to pay full price at Justice? How is the quality and sizing?

I have 3 girls, 9,8, and 4 and omg they LOVE Justice! Initially I found the clothes to be really tacky, but this year it seems a lot better. My 4 y/o actually found a shirt that fits and she wanted to wear it four days in a row, she was proud to get something from Justice like her sisters!

Anyhow, I discovered the trick of shopping at Justice. Buy only clearance. The whole store is usually 40% off, I think a few weeks out of the year they don't do it, but then they have a Spend $50 get $25 promotion. The clearance racks and sales are 40% off the entire store plus an additional 40%. But you have to time it right. We live in FL so we went in the 2nd and 3rd week of June and all of the spring and summer stuff was on sale. I bought a ton, which they can use for school, since it doesn't get cold here until November or December. Then in December, a lot of the fall and winter stuff goes on clearance, which is perfect for us, since that's about when we need to start wearing it. That works well for us, though in another climate, the timing may not work out as well.

KrystalS
08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Anyhow, I discovered the trick of shopping at Justice. Buy only clearance. The whole store is usually 40% off, I think a few weeks out of the year they don't do it, but then they have a Spend $50 get $25 promotion. The clearance racks and sales are 40% off the entire store plus an additional 40%. But you have to time it right. We live in FL so we went in the 2nd and 3rd week of June and all of the spring and summer stuff was on sale. I bought a ton, which they can use for school, since it doesn't get cold here until November or December. Then in December, a lot of the fall and winter stuff goes on clearance, which is perfect for us, since that's about when we need to start wearing it. That works well for us, though in another climate, the timing may not work out as well.

This strategy works well for me also. My local store always has awesome clearance. I just got DD tons of shorts for $3 each, we are in Texas so she can wear shorts til Thanksgiving usually. If a shirt seems really popular then I usually go ahead & buy it because they dont get more inventory once they sell out, not my store anyway.

Something I recently found out that I wasnt aware of is the 1/2 sizes. Say your daughter needs a size 10 for length but it doesnt fit in the waist/hips, a 10 1/2 is the same length but bigger through the waist/hips. Awesome discovery for me because my daughter is hitting that pre-teen stage & her body has started changing rapidly. She is tall but her hips are getting wider.

westwoodmom04
08-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Made our first trip to Justice and I was pretty disappointed. The stuff I would maybe let her wear -- athletic shorts and t-shirts is going out of season. We bought a sweatshirt and some underwear (dd had a gift card). When we got home, discovered a rip under the sleeve of the sweatshirt and the underwear shrunk much more than I would have expected after one washing. Most of the clothing in the store seemed to be made of synthetics, rather than cotton. I will reluctantly allow her to get one or two pieces a season, but I can't see us shopping there on a regular basis.

Did find some slim styles at Abercrombie that fit he r better than anything we've tried thus far, so thanks pp for the tip.

AnnieW625
08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
If you have a decent sized JC Penney look at the Joe Fresh and Cynthia Rowley collections they have. Both are pretty age appropriate for the 7-12 set. Also I haven't seen it person but Naartjie has launched a tween line.