PDA

View Full Version : How early do you work out if you exercise in the morning & how do you stay motivated?

sweetheart82
07-26-2013, 11:50 PM
I've been slacking in going to the gym because of my work schedule. If you work out in the morning, how early do you wake up and how long are your workouts? I'm aiming to walk for at least twenty minutes. I miss the time I had to go to the gym when I worked part-time.

hillview
07-27-2013, 07:53 AM
For almost 2 years I got up at 545 and went to a 6 am class (very near where I live). I did a 60 min workout. I moved my work schedule around, started a different class and now it is later in the am (and I prefer that :))

chiisai
07-27-2013, 11:29 AM
I just started working out this month; it's been three weeks now. I leave 30 min earlier than usual three times a week to work out before starting work. However, I don't need to wake up earlier than normal, since I don't shower first and leave the kids to DH.

I do cardio for half hour, then another 10 min of crunches and free weights.

I feel some guilt because it means DH needs to do all the kids stuff by himself in the morning, but he's completely on board, thankfully. I do lay out both kids full outfits on the couch before I leave.

I also go to the pool on the other two days after work, because DS has swim lessons then and it just works out. I swim for about 30 minutes. That will stop come school starting, so I'm not sure what I'll do on those days, if anything.

sweetheart82
08-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you for sharing how you integrate morning workouts into your schedule.

I haven't been successful yet... I've just been able to add a half an hour swim after work, along with brief walks in the neighborhood with my kids after dinner.

I'm thinking about getting an elliptical machine in our home, just to cut out the commute time to the gym.

mushka
08-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I get up between 4-4:30 ( depending on my work schedule) and workout for 30 min to an hour. My work schedule is so unpredictable, so 4:30-5 am is the only time I can workout.

KrisM
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I walk 4 miles on the morning. I leave the house at 6 and am back by 7. I don't work, but I need to be home before DH leaves.

chiisai
08-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Thank you for sharing how you integrate morning workouts into your schedule.

I haven't been successful yet... I've just been able to add a half an hour swim after work, along with brief walks in the neighborhood with my kids after dinner.

I'm thinking about getting an elliptical machine in our home, just to cut out the commute time to the gym.

DH bought an elliptical about 2 years ago. I was a little anxious about the expense, but he's used it 5 evenings a week since (after the kids went down). He's been at a plateau for about 4 months now, though, so he just started mixing it up with going for runs. He also has free weights. I say, go for it if you have the $$, it's truly been incredible for him.

BabyBearsMom
08-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I WOHFT. I get up at 5:30 but I go to the gym at 7:30. I drop the kids off at school at 6:50 and then work out at the gym in my office. I shower there and then go to work at 7:45/9:00. My workout is about 50 minutes long

almostmom
08-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I usually wake up around 6:15 and work out for 45 min - 1 hour, doing P90X videos at home. I am out of the shower by 7:30, when I wake up the kids to get them ready for school (the bus comes at 8:30). The hardest part is showering so soon after the workout - I am still red and sweating when I need to put my work clothes on, but sometimes I just put a nightgown back on while I wake up the kids.

I love sleep, and never ever ever thought I'd be someone to wake up early to work out. But when it was the only reliable time I made myself do it for awhile, and then I started to get a little used to it. But most mornings, it's still hard to not turn the alarm off and sleep for an extra hour. I just remember that I never regret it once the workout is done!

AnnieW625
08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
When I workout in the AM I get up at 4:30 and am at the gym by 5 am. I work out until 6, and then it takes me about 30-40 minutes to get ready and then another 30 minutes to get to work. What keeps me motivated is that the gym is right next store to the AT&T store so I can login to the wifi from the AT&T store and I can watch TV on my phone without using any data. I go through phases where I go two times a week and then there are other times when I don't go. Lately I haven't been going as I have decided that sleep is more important so I try to go in the evenings after DH gets home.

wendibird22
08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
My work has a gym...not the latest and greatest in equipment but decent and the price and location are right. I get up at 6am, along with DH and 2 kids. DH leaves with 1 DC at 7am and I leave with the other at 7:30am. I workout 8-8:30am and lessen my lunch hour by 30min in exchange. I think this school year I'll be able to drop DC off at the babysitters at 7:15 and have a bit longer to workout or lose less lunchtime. In mild weather I skip the gym and walk during lunch.

nupe
08-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I live very close to my gym, under 5 minutes of a drive. I try to work out 3 weekday mornings a week. I wake up 5:10 to get ready for spin that goes from 5:45 to 6:30am. That assumes that DH is home asleep and so are the kids. I am home before the kids start getting up at 6:45. Then it's shower/get ready, get breakfasts and get kids ready for bus before 7:45 am. If I snooze and get to class late, I try to stay a few minutes late but can't always do that. I'm so glad to get my workout in the morning, and before I eat because I can't work out after eating!

vtmom
08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I am a SAHM. My workouts are my only "me" time. It was very hard at first but now I love it and hate missing a morning. 4 days/week I get up at 5 am at the gym by 5:45, workout for an hour, shower etc and get home by 7:20 so DH can go to work. One weekend morning/week I also meet other mom friends for a 6am outdoor run.

arivecchi
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I work out at 5 at home every weekday. I also try to get one workout in on the weekend. My motivation is vanity. I don't like going up in size or looking pudgy in my clothes. That makes me way more miserable than getting up at 5 am!

arivecchi
08-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting an elliptical machine in our home, just to cut out the commute time to the gym. That's what we did. Totally worth it.

sweetheart82
08-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Thank you! I'm sorry I've been offline. You ladies are inspiring. I haven't been able to work out in the AM yet, although I've mustered up the motivation. I'm still ten pounds over my pre-baby weight and just today someone asked me if I eat pork or red meat. I eat neither, since I prefer chicken, veggies, fruits and seafood.