PDA

View Full Version : What kind of information do you put on your DC's school gear to identify it?

SoCalMommy
07-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Some people use labels of some kind. Others use a permanent marker or tag. Just curious what kind of info you include on their gear/clothes for school, camp, etc?

Maybe I am too paranoid since I live in a big city, but I actually am hesitant to put too much personal info like a phone number or email address or even my DD's full name. I either put her initials or first name and last initial. What do you do?

kep
07-27-2013, 03:58 AM
We attend a medium sized private school and have a unique last name. We label anything that might be passed down to younger sibs with our last name only. Supplies specific to each child that will be used typically for one year only get kid's first name, provided they are the only "Harry" that year. I find my younger kids are able to recognize their first name well before their last name.

hillview
07-27-2013, 07:51 AM
our stickers say "Last Name" -- the kid's backpacks have a metal tag on them with Last name and my cell #

Kindra178
07-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I do first and last name with Mabel's Labels (or this year with Name Bubbles). It helps for my kids to identify their matching stuff at home as well. For example, we have three LLB rain jackets in circulation. They are all somewhat similar in size, so I need to put the first and last name on the label so we all know whose jacket belongs to whom.

SnuggleBuggles
07-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Last name. Sometimes my cell number on coats, where it has a phone number line.

I use first name only on stuff that stays at school.

crl
07-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Last name and cell number.

Catherine

ETA The first name concern is that strangers will learn your child's first name and that kids often think if a person knows their name the person is not a stranger. I don't see what the concer is about a last name. Are you worried someone will use that information to track down your address? I also don't see concern with a cell phone . Can someone use that to find your address? I always thought cell numbers weren't linked to a physical address so it is harder to get an address off just a cell number.

elektra
07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I do first and last name with Mabel's Labels (or this year with Name Bubbles).
Love Mabel's labels. I am not concerned about the kids getting kidnapped or anything like that because we have both first and last name on the labels. I voted "everything" in the poll, but I would consider "everything" more than just name.

Still-in-Shock
07-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Thank you for putting this poll together, because it has given me a lot to think about with our upcoming baby. I had planned to use labels with first and last name, but I do need to reconsider about who will be looking at the labels. I think for labels that go inside clothing (that replace the kind we used to sew in for camp!), I will go with first and last name. For things that go to day care, I will follow their rules/guidelines, but down the road, I am definitely considering last name and phone number only.

I grew up in a city, and we did not have clothes with names on them, only initials, because even back then, there was concerns about strangers.

Momit
07-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I think the name concern is more applicable to a first name embroidered on a backpack or maybe a beach towel. Would /could someone really read a Mabel's label inside a coat and use it to trick a child into thinking the person was not a stranger?

Our labels now have first and last but not sure if we will use them for school or not.

crl
07-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I think the name concern is more applicable to a first name embroidered on a backpack or maybe a beach towel. Would /could someone really read a Mabel's label inside a coat and use it to trick a child into thinking the person was not a stranger?

Our labels now have first and last but not sure if we will use them for school or not.

Yeah, I asked dh, who used to be a cop, before I ordered ds' labels and he thought last name cell number was a good combo because the police would look for labels in case of a lost child. So I have always thought a cell number at least is a safety precaution. That is actually why I do cell number, not because I think it will actually get me any clothes back. I don't see a problem with first name on labels that are just inside clothes. I went with last name for ds for hand me down reasons. Now that dd is our last, I have been using her first name and my cell.

Catherine

ett
07-27-2013, 06:39 PM
We put first and last name or just last name. DS2 is currently using DS1's hand me downs and I haven't bothered changing the labels that have DS1's first name on them. We're the only family with our last name in our school, so I'm sure they can figure things out from the last name.

Nooknookmom
07-28-2013, 12:08 AM
I usually do last name and my cell. Laundry pen. Sometimes initials.

citymama
07-28-2013, 02:35 AM
I didn't vote as we do first/last name Name Bubbles. It's on the inside tag of hoodies, lunch box, backpack. Not visible unless you have my child's possessions with you and can unzip the backpack to look. I'm not a fan of names on the outside of backpacks, but this is small and on the inside. I like the idea of last name plus mobile number - next time we do an order, I'll go for that option. When I use a sharpie on something, it's usually just the last name.

essnce629
07-28-2013, 04:15 AM
I voted "everything" but only because there was no option for first and last name only, which is what we do. All clothing and backpacks have name labels inside, not visible to anyone just walking by. The only things that are labeled on the outside are the kids' water bottles and lunch boxes, which I don't see there being an issue with. I wouldn't label a backpack with first and last name.

Melaine
07-28-2013, 05:35 AM
I voted "everything" but only because there was no option for first and last name only, which is what we do. All clothing and backpacks have name labels inside, not visible to anyone just walking by. The only things that are labeled on the outside are the kids' water bottles and lunch boxes, which I don't see there being an issue with. I wouldn't label a backpack with first and last name.

This. I would never put visible names on my kids but our labels are small and in tags or inside mostly (I guess except backpacks but you'd really have to squint to see them from any distance). I also have a set of first name with last initials and I think I may have some that just say our last name but with the big gap between the girls and DS I don't see us re-using anything much so first name last name works for us.

SoCalMommy
07-28-2013, 05:37 PM
I apologize for the confusion and not including a first and last name option. I think I meant that when I wrote everything. Sorry.

After reading everyones feedback I am actually reconsidering what I do. I too am not a fan of backpacks, shirts, etc with my DD name stitched on the outside for everyone to see. As cute as they can be, I don't want strangers knowing her name. As for inside clothing for school/daycare I thought first name would be easier for her to recognize, but I actually like the last name only idea that many of you mentioned. I think the purpose for labeling those are to prevent lost items or another kid taking the wrong things home.

Overall, I guess it would depend on what the item is and where it wil go. For spare clothes left at school or daycare I think name inside on a tag would work and for backpack, cups, etc that would be taken out and about maybe last name only.