PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop for your older sons (10+ years old) ?

daisymommy
07-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Ever since DS aged out (style wise) from Gymboree (what a sad day!) I'm having a tough time finding a decent place to shop for his clothes. He turns 11 next month, likes non-preppy, but cool looking clothes, and is hard on his clothes, so nothing too pricey. So far I've had good luck with Old Navy, and the Shawn White skater line from Target. And that's about it.

Where do you shop for your older boys?

Sent from my iPad

LMPC
07-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I buy my nephew clothes from Boden (on sale) and Next.

Kindra178
07-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Have you heard of Tilly's? I think it is a bit pricey but they have great sales.

crl
07-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, as long as he has on a baseball related t-shirt my ten year old is happy. So he wears Giants t-shirts, t-shirts from baseball camp, t-shirts from previous Little League teams, etc. I buy him jeans from Gap or Crazy 8 because they carry slims with adjustable waists. And I buy him LandsEnd climber pants because they come in slim with an adjustable waist belt. He also has some t-shirts and polos from LE (tie dye and solids) and from Crazy 8 (mostly with rock n roll related designs) and a couple from Old Navy.

His jackets are mostly from LLBean and his shoes are Merrell jungle mocs and whatever tennis shoes we find on sale that fit. He does tend to like bright tennis shoes. His socks are black athletic socks from Costco--he's wearing size 8 (!) shoes so he can wear men's socks now. His underwear comes from Hanna Andersson. His pjs are mostly from Gymboree.

I think that covers it.

I haven't tried anything from the boys line, but if you are looking for something different at a not too high price point, you might check out Next Direct. I have been happy with my purchases from them for my preschool age dd.

Catherine

essnce629
07-28-2013, 04:48 AM
I was just going to ask this question yesterday! DS1 will be 10 in August and I've really liked Naartjie for t-shirts for the past few years. They only go to size 10 though and I'm so sad since this is the last year DS1 will fit. They are coming out with a tween line for girls in the fall, but I'm not sure about tween boys yet. I'll be crossing my fingers.

For pants I still do LE climbers and cords. Jeans I get at TCP. I just bought him a bunch of shorts from Costco 2 months or so ago that I really like and I've bought shorts from TCP as well.

Underwear are Hanna Andersson. For athletic shoes he really likes the Nike Free Run shoes. They are super lightweight.

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2013, 08:37 AM
He wears a uniform to school so limited real clothes are needed. I love t's from H&M. Mostly we just have a mix of Target, Gap and Old Navy though.

bonbon98
07-28-2013, 10:41 AM
DS is rough on his clothes too. I've been buying super clearanced shirts ($2 each!!) from the Aeropostale outlet. DS can wear a XS/S from there. We've pretty much sized out of the children's departments for tops, still need 12/14 in bottoms, and need an 8 in men's shoes!

sariana
07-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Are you familiar with the Tony Hawk line at Kohl's? If he likes Shaun White, he might like some of the Hawk clothes too.

My DS only just turned 9, but he seems to prefer souvenir-type T-shirts, such as things we get on trips or that DH gets from his military travels. And school spirit gear.

westwoodmom04
07-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Have you looked at Zara? They have free shipping and returns, and their boy stuff looks nice.

Beth24
07-28-2013, 01:58 PM
My son is 15 and even gap kids dropped out of his repertoire in middle school. He is in adult sizing now, but during his middle school years he wore basketball style shorts from Target (they Champion ones have pockets which they need) and surf/skate style shirts I would get on sale at Nordstrom and Sport Chalet. Pants were skinny jeans from gap, old navy and are now from Pac Sun. Luckily he doesn't need much but it's much harder when they start to have such strong opinions!

daisymommy
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks all! And nope, I haven't heard of the Tony Hawk line at Kohls (thanks!) or Next direct. And I'll check out crazy 8 too. I just pick up several pairs of slim jeans from Gymboree with my Gymbucks and the BOGO sale. Thank goodness he hasn't figured out brands yet.

Sent from my iPad

hellbennt
07-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Adding: Charlie Rocket Ts

(Thanks, bbb, for the free Tapatalk!)

Tondi G
07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
My 8 yr old is a big guy .... his clothing these days comes mostly from Target, Old Navy and Children's Place. My 12 year old is now 5'9'' ... he wears men's clothing... again from Old navy, Target ... I have found some brand name t-shirts at Ross and Marshall's ... occasionally we'll find some t-shirts (Quicksilver, Hurley etc.) at Costco. I recently learned about Tilly's but I haven't actually been into a store. My DS doesn't care too much about brands yet but I know in the next year or so it will probably start to matter. He is still all about comfort ... elastic waist basketball style shorts and T's!

ilfaith
07-28-2013, 11:03 PM
DS1 is going into 4th grade. I shop for him mostly at Old Navy and Gap (where I just realized that although they are part of the same company, their sizing is different...A Gap XL is a size 12, whereas an XL at ON is a 14/16). He's on the husky side (although some huskies are too wide...so I never know if he's better with a 10H or a regular 12). He gets some tees at Target and Crazy 8, but he's outgrown Gymboree (both size and style-wise.) His build is to broad for Abercrombie (and I have issues with that company anyway) and also for H&M (but if you have slimmer kids, I love their stuff...it's great for my skinny DS2). I recently discovered PS Aeropostale (their kids' division) and think their stuff is age-appropriate. DS also likes "sports" lines, like Under Armour, Nike, etc. We have a big outlet mall nearby, because I can't bear to pay full price for that sort of stuff. I often find Polo shirts and surfer/skater lines like Hurley and Quicksilver at Marshalls and TJMaxx (I just discovered a Tilly's near us as well).

essnce629
07-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Not the OP, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions!

I'm going to check out Aeropostale, Tilly's, Charlie Rocket, H&M (not sure if I have one nearby), and TJMaxx.

And I think the shorts I bought for DS1 at Costco were either the Quicksilver or Hurley brand. I really like them.