PDA

View Full Version : Very warm, waterproof boots that are not stiff and heavy?

buttercup
07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Thinking ahead: All snow boots I've come accross are just so --stiff. It feels impossible to play and be active in them. Am I missing something? I have both a 9 yr old and a 2 yr old to dress for cold weather. many thanks!

Kindra178
07-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Kamik Waterbug style. They are temp rated to below zero temps. My kids love them and want to wear them everyday.

vtmom
07-30-2013, 05:43 AM
We love Bogs in our house!

buttercup
07-30-2013, 09:49 AM
We love Bogs in our house!

Looks like these are exactly what i am looking for, but are they warm enough for snow? Perhaps paired with wool socks?

crl
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Looks like these are exactly what i am looking for, but are they warm enough for snow? Perhaps paired with wool socks?

We got bogs for dd last fall and they seem pretty heavy to me. Our Kamiks have been less heavy.

Catherine

buttercup
07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll have to check out the kamiks. From the pictures, they look like the sort of boot I want to avoid (that heavy, unyielding rubber part that all snow boots have).

arivecchi
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
My boys love their Bogs. They are great for kids compared to typical heavy snow boots like kamiks or LE boots (those are the ones we have also tried). I was worried they would not be warm enough but they are. Bonus, can also be used as rain boots in spring and fall.

athompson
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
My three DC all wear bogs and love them. We live in the Midwest and it gets pretty cold here and they have been plenty warm.

Simon
07-30-2013, 12:29 PM
For the 2 yo, I swear by the Circo boots at Target. There will be a few different styles, but they make an excellent snow boot with a very flexible sole. I have a basket full of LE boots to hand down, but I've been buying the Circo instead. Worlds better!

For the 9 yo, we have had good luck with LE that we buy on sale. They aren't super flexible in the sole but the upper part was waterproof and flexible. I have some Kamiks too, but I haven't been impressed with their quality. I can't imagine the Bogs being warm enough here without wool socks underneath, but I would be happy to be wrong. I've also seen some Keen boots that a good friend used for her son and they had a very flexible sole and fairly lightweight. Maybe someone can comment on the Crocs winter boots.

DualvansMommy
07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
subscribing to this thread, as I'm just starting to think about winter gear for my DS who'll be almost 2.5 by then.

He hates wearing boots with a passion, so like some pp, I need a really flexible pair of boots that'll keep water/snow out of his feet. I bookmarked bogs and kamik pages, but since I live in mid Atlantic (Jersey) where we get nothing one winter and several big snow storms the next winter.

Is there any place physically that sell both brands?? So I can see it in my hands and try it on DS since I'm not really sure which is best for him.

Cate

arivecchi
07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
We used the circo boots when our guys were little too. They are awesome for toddlers.

almostmom
07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
DD has had bogs the last 2 years and they are great. Amazingly her feet don't get cold, and they are great for keeping her dry as well. They are easy to put on, and easy to get snowpants over. Couldn't recommend them enough!

NCGrandma
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I too searched for boots last winter for my New England DGDs (who, like the OP's DC, are now 9 and 2). For DGD1, I ended up buying LE Snow Pack snow boots. These were a step up in price/features from the previous LE snow boots I had bought her, but were much more satisfactory for really cold, snowy weather. I hope they still fit this winter. I also bought her a pair of Bogs based on BBB recommendations (I'd never heard of them) -- she loves them and wears them year round in rainy weather. I think they'd be OK for light snow but not very cold weather. Whenever she outgrows the Bogs, I'll definitely get another pair. I actually bought DIL a pair of Bogs for Christmas, and she loves them, too.

For tiny DGD2, I got Kamik Jack Frost snow boots (sort of similar style as the Waterbug), which were the only ones I could find that were even close to being small enough. They were a bit clunky but OK. They should definitely still fit this winter!

Our local REI had both the Bogs and Kamiks in the store as well as several other good brands. Our NC Sears stores don't carry any LE snow boots but others probably do.

keh602
07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
I love Bogs. I've gotten great deals on them online and at Nordstrom. They are super easy for DC to put on, which is such a huge plus. We've also had Circo boots, and I agree that they are great for little ones. I thought the LE boots we had would be easy to put on, but both of my older DC struggled with them.

Momit
07-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Bogs are awesome. I believe they say they are good to -30 degrees, which is hard to believe but they do seem to keep DS's feet warm and he loves wearing them.

acmom
07-31-2013, 01:44 PM
We had LE 2 years ago and really had issues with how clunky they were and the Velcro caused problems too (popping open, inside of 2 boots sticking together when kids walked). Not sure if they have changed the design since then.

Last year I went with Kamiks for DD (who was 4) and they worked much better. Has trouble finding a pair of Kamiks that fit DS right (he was 2.5) so ended up with Circo from Target for him, which worked fine too, especially since he didn't go out as much in the snow as DD who went out with her preschool class 2-3x a week. They will both go out in the snow often this year so I am thinking either the Kamiks for both or trying the bogs.

I would love to try the Bogs, as they look so easy to put on. My only question is how does the snow stay out of the top of the boot? They look so open at the top and I would think snow would get down in there and make their feet cold. We get quite a bit of snow and the kids go out to play at school unless the temp is below 0, so I need their boots to keep their feet warm and dry. Would Bogs work?

a2mom
08-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Both Kamiks and Bogs are sold at discounted rates by sierratradingpost.com. While they don't have free returns, they do sometimes have free shipping or low cost ($2.50 or .99) shipping. I bought Kamik snowkones for my 5 year old for about $20 earlier this year, and I see that they have Bogs now for $20-30 with a 30% off coupon today.

vtmom
08-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Posted this in the other thread too...we've never had a problem with snow in Bogs and my kids feet stay warm. The boots ate rated to -30 and while we don't play outside when its that cold we do go out to run errands on plenty of negative degree days and they've never gotten cold feet.