PDA

View Full Version : Failed 1-hour glucose test

babyfiorina1
07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
I was just told that my 1-hour glucose test was 145 and I need to do a 3-hour glucose test tomorrow :( I was kinda upset and shocked. I was fine while pregnant with DD and this is our second baby. I'm kinda scared now, what if I fail the 3 hour glucose test too :( and that means I have gestational diabetes.

AnnieW625
07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't even know why they do a 1 hr. test because it seems like everyone fails it. I never had one. The three hour test isn't all that bad IMHO, but the last time I did it though the drink was kind of tasty (like Orange Crush) IMHO. Just fast from bedtime on and go in as early as possible and just get it over with.

Good luck:)

Nemesia
07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry. I failed the 1 hour too (137) and unfortunately failed the 3 hour as well. I was upset, but it has actually been a blessing. I have been able to control the GD through diet alone and haven't had to do anything else. It has forced me to consistently eat healthy and exercise (walking, prenatal yoga), both of which have contributed to a great third trimester. I've had very little swelling and generally feel great.

When I failed the 1 hour I had lots of people tell me they failed the 1 hour, but passed the 3 hour, so you might too! Good luck!

westwoodmom04
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
I failed the one hour test but not the three with my second child. I know it is difficult but try not to jump to conclusions.

mommylamb
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that. I had GD when I was pregnant with DS2, but not with DS1, so I understand the shock of it. And I failed the 1-hour with a much higher score than you have. My doctor didn't even think I needed to take the 3 hour, but I insisted, and as expected, failed that miserably. I have no history of diabetes in my family, despite many very overweight relatives, so I was shocked.

On the plus side, I now have more information about my risks and can make decisions accordingly. I was able to control my blood sugar for the after meal testings with diet and exercise, but needed medication (glyburide, which is just a tiny pill) to control my fasting number. Because of the very healthy diet I had when I was pregnant, I was below my pre-pregnancy weight within a week of giving birth, and able to wear my jeans the day I left the hospital. DS2 was actually really tiny. He was born at just 5 lbs 11 oz, so clearly I didn't end up with a big baby with any health implications for him. He was a super easy birth.

So, there are upsides to it and positive stories. But I'm sorry because I know it's scary and a yucky experience to go through.

babyfiorina1
08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I was just told that my 3-hour glucose test was fine. Drinking the sugary drink actually wasn't that bad compare to the wait and the fact that I was poked for more than 10 times at both of my arms because they had difficulties drawing blood from both arms and my hand. The 3rd hour blood had to be drawn by finger pricking instead. So, now with two badly bruised arms, one bruised hand and finger lol! BUT, most importantly that baby is fine and test result is fine and I'm grateful.

sarahsthreads
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I missed your first post on this - I also failed my one hour and passed my three hour. I'm glad your numbers were good and I hope the bruises go away quickly!

Sarah :)

shawnandangel
08-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I was just told that my 3-hour glucose test was fine. Drinking the sugary drink actually wasn't that bad compare to the wait and the fact that I was poked for more than 10 times at both of my arms because they had difficulties drawing blood from both arms and my hand. The 3rd hour blood had to be drawn by finger pricking instead. So, now with two badly bruised arms, one bruised hand and finger lol! BUT, most importantly that baby is fine and test result is fine and I'm grateful.

^ That is illegal (at least in Tennessee) unless you had given them explicit permission to continue or had 4 different nurses try and stick you. Each nurse gets 3 strikes then they are out. It is considered torture to continue after 3 sticks unless the patient gives permission to continue.

Sorry, but I'm a RN and reading stories like this one makes me cringe. 10 times? That's just ridiculous.

Glad to hear you passed your 3 hour test though!!

babyfiorina1
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
^ That is illegal (at least in Tennessee) unless you had given them explicit permission to continue or had 4 different nurses try and stick you. Each nurse gets 3 strikes then they are out. It is considered torture to continue after 3 sticks unless the patient gives permission to continue.

Sorry, but I'm a RN and reading stories like this one makes me cringe. 10 times? That's just ridiculous.

Glad to hear you passed your 3 hour test though!!

The first nurse didn't have trouble with my fasting and 1st-hour glucose blood drawing. She failed three times with 2nd hour glucose and that's when she asked her colleague to attempt and she succeeded at first attempt. Then the third hour glucose was done by her colleague again and she just couldn't get it from both arms after about 4 sticks total, then she proceeded to the vein on my right hand and still didn't get anything and then called her supervisor and was asked to proceed with finger pricking (thank God! lol). It was a bit scary though when I saw her moving the needle around when the needle was still in my arms, I just wanted to get it over with and I told myself there's no way I'm gonna do 3-hour glucose test again in my life and might as well just tell me I have gestational diabetes lol.

babyfiorina1
08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
I missed your first post on this - I also failed my one hour and passed my three hour. I'm glad your numbers were good and I hope the bruises go away quickly!

Sarah :)

I'm happy to hear that you passed your 3-hour test :) yay!

TwoBees
08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Just seeing this now. Yay for passing the 3-hour test! :)