PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not send their toddler to preschool?

Sunspot
07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm at stay at home mom of twins in a major city where preschool is either very expensive or I don't like how they take them off site on leashes through major traffic. I plan to sign them up for other classes, activities. Anyone else opt out of preschool?

petesgirl
07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Well, DS is only 2 so as far as preschool goes well have some time to decide. Does your local school district offer any programs? Ours just started a free 1/2 day preschool for 4 yr old's. If that is still available in a few years we will look into it. I am a sample also and we have never done daycare.

DualvansMommy
07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Our school district offer free half days for 3 year olds and upwards, till they enter kindy full time.

Thing is in my town, the half day is really only 2.5 hours a day; drop off at 8:50am & pick up is 11:55 before noon or the afternoon slot. That'll be a good option for my DS, I'm thinking if I enroll him there next fall and bring him back home in afternoon for his nap while I'll have my baby to care for. Right now at 2 years old, he goes to a mothers center for 2 half days a week, which is just good enough for him as I like taking him to places, etc with me.

Cate

larig
07-30-2013, 02:05 PM
If you're in a big city, you might look into co-op preschools in your area. We found them very reasonable and rewarding.

citymama
07-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Co-ops sound like a great way to go, or lab schools. We're in a major metropolis and neither of our kids went/go to preschools where they ever get taken out on leashes. All field trips have parent volunteers and we always volunteered (like 2-3 a year). We really loved the lab school where DD1 went. How old are your kids? I think some preschool before K is really nice. Or you could make a homeschool preschool with other parents a couple of times a week!

mohsin789
09-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Right now at 2 years old, he goes to a mothers center for 2 half days a week, which is just good enough for him as I like taking him to places, etc with me.

LMPC
09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
I commented, but then realized how old the OP was.

abh5e8
09-25-2014, 10:14 AM
no preschool here. we were planning to homeschool, so we just did activities, classes, play dates and when dd started her home school co-op once a week in kinday, the 2 and 4 year olds came along. no regrets! its not essential. :)

ett
09-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Old thread so I'm locking it.