PDA

View Full Version : Lego storage tips

LAMom
07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
My son got several lego sets for his birthday wgich now occupy in various stages of completion every surface in my living room. He wants to keep them all separate as the sets are not interchangeable. Other than having a different shoebox for each sets, any ideas to help control the chaos?

georgiegirl
07-31-2013, 11:01 AM
What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0031P85VC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1375282856&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

infocrazy
07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Too late now, but I only let them open one set at a time. Once it is complete they can open the next.

When we open them, I open both ends and then peel the top off. This gives me a flat piece of cardboard for a visual. Then I tape the sides back together and now the lid opens from the top if that makes sense. This is how we contain the in progress set and contains all the pieces.

citymama
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Bookmarking because we are getting over run with legos too!

cagey
07-31-2013, 01:26 PM
we do 2 gallon sized ziplocks and keep the bags in a bin or two in the Expdit shelves. I'm not a fan of adding toy specific furniture.

WHen the set is being played with, the bag usually just has the excess pieces and the instructions. otherwise, mostly-assembled and shoved in the bag.

azzeps
08-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Once DD builds the set once, it gets saved in a big Lego bin with all the other Lego. It eventually falls apart or the pieces get used in structures she creates. We don't even try to keep sets separate. We save instructions in case she wants to build the set again.

acmom
08-23-2013, 08:02 AM
My DD is getting more legos sets for her bday so I am struggling with this issue too. We have a good system for the bricks and instructions and figures that she has so far (in different size bins under her bed), but having trouble with the larger put together pieces (like the friends treehouse, cafe etc.). Any ideas on good shape/size containers that hold will hold the sets when they are put together? They are too tall for most plastic shoebox type bins. Or do you just display these on shelves? She likes to play with them, but doesnt like them to be accidentally knocked or stepped on by her brother, dog, etc.!

JanBaby
08-23-2013, 10:49 PM
We don't have a ton of Legos (or maybe Mega Blocks?) yet but what we do have is in a set (princess castle, zoo, etc). Each set is stored in a Multi purpose bin from The Container Store in the Expedit with the instructions. Play with one set at a time, dump in the bin when done and the clean up is super easy.

niccig
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Our house looks like the lego store! There is no way sets are kept separate when you have SO many sets. Besides, DS spends more time building his own creations so all the bricks get used together. DS decided on separating by colour. We now have 3 x 6-plastic drawers. So 18 drawers in total. Reality is that at least 1/2 the lego is mostly on the train table and every so often, we make DS go through and put the lego back into the drawers.

hillview
08-26-2013, 10:59 AM
ziploc bag. one at a time til it is done.

MacMacMoo
08-26-2013, 08:15 PM
We have a tower of scrapbook paper boxes that have a box for the main colors (red, yellow, blues, greens, grey, white/black) a box for mini figs, wheels, technic, and to other I can't think of. A box of "mommy does not have time to sort. And a huge rubber maid tote filled with 2 gallon ziplock bags that each hold a set. The boys do their best to keep sets together, all strays going into the to be sorted. And once a month I sort