PDA

View Full Version : Bogs

ourbabygirl
07-31-2013, 05:25 PM
So I think I've been convinced to try Bogs this year instead of Kamiks again (in hopes the kids can wear them as rain boots as well as snow boots). :) Do you think a new 3 year old would be able to wear them fine, or are they too bulky? Also, where have you had the best luck finding them at a good price? And do you size up one or two sizes? I'd like to stick with the plain black for DD to be able to hand them down to her brother later. Finally, do you find that there's enough room in them with a pair of wool socks during the coldest part of the winter?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

crl
07-31-2013, 06:01 PM
I got them last year for dd (who was three this April so she was two when I got them) based on recommendations here. I was planning to use them primarily as rain boots with the ability to use them as snow boots too if we went to Tahoe.

I thought they were really clunky compared to regular rain boots. I also thought they ran big. Dd fell in them a lot. (She has trouble with shoes that are even a tiny bit too big). And they hurt like heck when she kicked me, way worse than regular rain boots or shoes. They got banished to the closet pretty quickly. I was really bummed because they sounded like such a great idea for our circumstances (lots of cold rain with a possibility of a trip or two to the snow.)

Catherine

TwinFoxes
07-31-2013, 06:26 PM
My girls had their first pair at 3. I read they ran big, and bought accordingly. They liked them. We had a pair last year too. I bought a pair for myself and hated them. But the girls are big fans. Easy on and off, and quite warm. It doesn't get super cold here, so no thick socks. Maybe that's why they run big? To accommodate thick socks?

NCGrandma
07-31-2013, 06:49 PM
No experience with Bogs for littles, but I got a pair for then-almost-8-y.o. DGD1 last Spring. I bought the same size as she was wearing in regular shoes, and they definitely run big. I certainly wouldn't size up. She was able to wear them when they were new (I think she did wear heavy socks at first) and she's still wearing them 16 months later, which isn't true of her other footwear. I also got Bogs for DIL for Christmas -- they don't come in half sizes and after trying them on, she ended up going down a half-size from her regular shoe size and they've been comfy.

As I mentioned in the other boots thread, we definitely are Bogs fans. I have my eye on the super-cute Baby Bogs for tiny 2-y.o. DGD2 (http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/styles/kidsShoes/kidsBaby/page0.html) but it's hard to find a good deal on the smallest sizes. Even if I do, I don't think they would replace her Kamiks for deep NE snows.

swissair81
08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
I bought bogs for my kids two winters ago when my DS was 3. My bigger girls loved them and I ended up bringing his back and exchanging them for primigi Velcro ankle boots. He needed more foot support. Obviously YMMV, but I would definitely make sure that they walk on carpet for a while just on case.

vtmom
08-01-2013, 08:08 AM
We are big Bogs fans in this house. I discovered them when DD1 was almost 3 and it is all DD2 and DS1 have ever worn (although DD2 and DS had a few hand me down pairs of LE and Kamiks to use as extras). They are easy on and easy off. I HATED the liner in Kamik boots and neither kid really liked the LE boots. None of my kids had a difficult time walking in the boots and DS is not the most coordinated of kids. The kids wear thick Smartwool socks with them in the winter and thinner socks or barefoot in them the rest of the year. I usually find them on sale at the end of the winter or sometime during the Winter (last year I got lucky and found a pair on Amazon for half price mid-winter when DD1 was starting to complain about her old pair being too small). Because we use them as rain boots, mud boots, and snow boots I don't have to size up too much, but I guess I buy one size bigger so they can grow into them. Even if I have to pay full price, I will because we get so much use out of them I think it's worth it. Also, around here, a gently used pair has decent resale value at Consignment shops.

acmom
08-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I posted this question in the other bogs thread but didn't get an answer yet. How do they work in the snow with the fairly open top (vs something that cinches closed)? Does the snow get down inside the boot easily?

arivecchi
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
I posted this question in the other bogs thread but didn't get an answer yet. How do they work in the snow with the fairly open top (vs something that cinches closed)? Does the snow get down inside the boot easily? They are fairly tall. My kids have never had an issue with this. Of course, no snow boot will be tall enough if you have several feet of snow!

Agree with PP that they run TTS. It's the only snow boot that my kids can wear comfortably. All the others we have tried were too heavy, too awkward and too hard for them to put on and take off.

Having said that, I don't think they would be great for toddlers. I would probably rec them for kids 4+.

acmom
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks arivecchi! Any advice on the best place to order them?

arivecchi
08-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I order ours from zappos so I can exchange them easily if we have issues.

vtmom
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
We've never had snow get in them unless the kids are really rolling around etc while playing. Our snowpants all have built in gaitors though so that might help too.

lkoala
08-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I've bought last year's designs at REI for a pretty good price. DD wears them with Snow pants so they don't get the snow in them...