PDA

View Full Version : Over a freakin' nightgown!!!

twowhat?
07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Grandma let DDs pick a nightgown each from the Disney Store. They just came in the mail today and DDs were excited to open the package. Unfortunately, DD2 decided that she liked DD1's choice better.

And she has been full-on screaming about it ALL EVENING since 5:30pm, with a 30 minute break to eat dinner/take a bath. Literally. That's 2 hours of full-on screaming. It's now 8:00pm here. There is not enough alcohol in the house...and the dogs are nowhere to be found.

georgiegirl
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
I hear you on the alcohol front (worst part of being pregnant with other kids...)

Don't you just love when they have meltdowns over the silliest things. I think it's probably indicative of something else. Today DD (7) screamed for 30 minutes because she was too lazy to turn off the TV and I told her that if she couldn't handle turning off the TV, then she could no longer watch TV in the mornings.

crl
07-31-2013, 10:27 PM
:hug: So sorry.

Catherine

westwoodmom04
07-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Wow, that is pretty amazing. I'm so sorry. My dd can throw a tantrum with the best of them, her little brother use to try to appease her, now he's taken to screaming back "you're annoying me!" Good times!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Eek. So sorry. Sounds like something that would happen at our house if my DD had a twin sister. :)

I don't know what it is about nightgowns...I guess it's the little girl equivalent of prom dresses or something. My daughter used to wear Hanna long johns (mostly ds hand me downs) but now she only wants to wear a nightgown and she gets mad when its in the wash. I bought her a Dora gown at goodwill while on vacation the other day and come nighttime she threw a fit when we told her she couldnt wear it bc we had to wash it first ...so we just let her wear it to bed without washing it first bc i just didnt want to deal. :bag Lol .

gobadgers
08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't know what it is about nightgowns...I guess it's the little girl equivalent of prom dresses or something.

Lol, I think this might be true. My DD is obsessed with them. OP, I hope you found some peace and quiet last night!

Melaine
08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry!!! We have definitely had total drama and issues over choices....in fact there is still a sore point over a hello kitty/lalaloopsy nightgown combo. One of the reasons I *selfishly* often still encourage identical doubles of things...somewhat less drama. Until one gets stained and both refuse to take responsibility or wear it again. Yes, we have had these moments, although they can usually be sorted out. I am so sorry you are having such a tough time though....we've certainly not had such long/strong tantrums but that has got to be awful.

twowhat?
08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Wow, that is pretty amazing.
It really is!!! Thankfully the frequency isn't what it used to be when she was 3-4 years old. But there are days I find myself totally laughing about the amazingness of her endurance.

I don't know what it is about nightgowns...I guess it's the little girl equivalent of prom dresses or something.
This is totally true!!!! And it all started when the girls discovered at a Disneyland store that nightgowns the equivalent of dress-up clothes exist :/ I would so much rather them wear comfy cotton short johns or cotton nightshirts in the summer but instead they are obsessed with these cheap polyester things.

One of the reasons I *selfishly* often still encourage identical doubles of things...somewhat less drama. Until one gets stained and both refuse to take responsibility or wear it again. Yes, we have had these moments, although they can usually be sorted out.
Yeah I totally get this - I won't buy clothes on my own for them unless I can buy them in duplicate. That great HA sale a few weeks back - the only reason I didn't buy anything in-store was because I couldn't find duplicates of anything! It is worth it to buy duplicates to cut down on the drama. But like you said, even buying duplicates doesn't solve all of the problems - when something gets stained or dirty, or if DD2 wears something one day and wants to wear it again the next day but it's dirty she gets all upset because DD1 has a clean one available but DD1 of course will not let her borrow it because she herself wants to wear in the next day....

The drama!

Nooknookmom
08-02-2013, 12:05 AM
So my kid is "normal" lol?? She had a MELTDOWN over a handful of Sunchips left in her bag when we went on a trip with Grandma. I gave them to my mom bc I thought DD was done.

She walks back and tears well up and she screams for EVER. I was not going to give in and buy her a new bag bc she did not eat all her sandwich and said she was done. But of course grandma didn't wanna hear her scream and she bought her more.

What's up? She is 6!!! Like DD1 did NOT do this! Waaaah

doberbrat
08-06-2013, 10:10 AM
OP TOTALLY feel your pain. and I dont even have twins!! My girls are 4yrs appart and honestly, anything I buy new I buy identical ones in each size. Stinks b/c dd2 is wearing 90% hmd from her sister and they squack over choices.

Last summer, I had to listen to them fight over who would turn the AC on/off. So this year its adults only. Now they're fighting over who gets what SPOON.

Honestly. SCREAMING matches over who gets which spoon. Guess what... the fancy kids spoons are disappearing today.

I'm an 'only'; I dont know how this sibling stuff is supposed to work but I'm pretty sure its not like this :(

Sorry OP didnt mean to hijack your bp! Just know you're not alone

maestramommy
08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
LOL, some version of this has happened to us many times. DDs choose something, then days later one of the decides she likes her sister's version better, and keeps trying to take it away. Fights fights fights for the rest of the day, week, however long it takes for it to resolve. Sometimes it never does resolve, it just eventually peters out. Until then I go around with dark thoughts of bonfires......
HUGS!

todzwife
08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I am so glad to hear that this is normal. I thought with a 4 year age gap it wouldn't be so bad but they fight all the time over everything!

crl
08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I am so glad to hear that this is normal. I thought with a 4 year age gap it wouldn't be so bad but they fight all the time over everything!

Mine are very nearly seven years apart and they were fighting over a BLOCK. Do you have any idea how many blocks there are in this house. It was absurd, especially since one of them is TEN years old. I am so ready for school to start.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Ha! I'm 7 years younger and my sister and I had epic fights about lots of stuff but most especially about the 1 wooden handled fork our family owned. We used to lick it to claim it at meal time. :)

georgiegirl
08-06-2013, 08:17 PM
It's amazing the stuff kids fight over. Often, DH and I find ourselves laughing because they fight over the most ridiculous things. And it doesn't matter how many of the desired item you have. There is always one in particular (no matter how identical they seem) that is preferred. Usually one child doesn't realize they want a certain toy/item unless the other has it.

twowhat?
08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Sigh. She's screaming at the top of her lungs right now. Really cannot wait for the screaming phase to be over. I can take pouting, which is what DD1 does (she stomps off and pouts but that's cool with me...it's silent!) And of course I have to work tonight. Sigh.

crl
08-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Sigh. She's screaming at the top of her lungs right now. Really cannot wait for the screaming phase to be over. I can take pouting, which is what DD1 does (she stomps off and pouts but that's cool with me...it's silent!) And of course I have to work tonight. Sigh.

Hugs.

Catherine

twowhat?
08-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Hugs.

Catherine

It only lasted 20 minutes! And I got my work done :thumbsup:

crl
08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
It only lasted 20 minutes! And I got my work done :thumbsup:

Score!
Catherine