PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Cancellation

Raidra
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Lachlann's birthday party is this weekend. We had invited five families at the start. One family couldn't make it, and I got positive RSVPs from the others. Well, yesterday while our kids were all in art class, one of the moms told me that she was canceling because they wanted to go camping instead. She said there hadn't been any nice weekends so far this summer (not quite true, but maybe her husband couldn't take time off around the other ones) and they haven't been camping at all yet (pretty sure that's not true, either, but I'm not positive). She outright told me that she put it to a vote to her kids, and they chose camping over Lachlann's birthday party.

First of all, I'm annoyed that she was so blunt about why she was canceling. Not that I'd prefer to be lied to, but.. I dunno. It just feels like it's rude to tell someone, "Hey, we got the opportunity to do something we like more, so see ya!" And secondly, I think it's terribly rude to cancel on a birthday party for something not urgent. There have been plenty of birthday parties that I wish I could have canceled on, but we went anyway. A birthday party isn't just a playdate at the park.. I feel indignant on Lachlann's behalf that one of his good friends didn't feel like celebrating his birthday. I guess my mama bear has been roused.

To complicate issues, I have a love/hate relationship with this woman. In that.. I desperately want her to like me, we do get along great, our kids love each other.. but I'm always pursuing things. We have a lovely time when we're together, but she never calls to set up a playdate. I hate the feeling of inferiority I have when we hang out, but I can't help really liking her and wanting her to approve of me. It's sick, and I'm working on it in therapy.. but I'm having a really hard time with this rejection. It feels like something's she's done before, for another one of our parties, but I can't remember clearly enough.

And... I got really into Lachlann's party theme this year (Super Mario) and have been working my butt off with decorations, food, etc. And if it's just a few people, it feels like.. what's the point? I know that's unhealthy thinking, that the point is to make Lachlann happy and to enjoy the crafting myself, that I don't do it to get pats on the back from friends.. but.. yeah.

Anyway.. thanks for listening. :)

crl
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
I am sorry. That is very rude. And a terrible message to send her children. Your party sounds awesome and I bet your kiddo will love it!

Catherine

DietCokeLover
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry. She certainly could have been more tactful in her notifying you of canceling. But, I hope you can get past it and enjoy the day!

ett
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. That is so rude. It feels like she's telling you the details so that she can say, it wasn't me, it was the kids that wanted to go camping instead of the party. Hope you have a great party!

MMMommy
08-01-2013, 11:42 AM
I am sorry about this. Very tactless of her to bail because of some other opportunity. Not nice.

trentsmom
08-01-2013, 12:08 PM
That's really rotten. Sounds like it's going to be an awesome party! I bet once her kids hear about the great time everyone else had, they're going to be wishing they had made a different choice. Especially since it rained during camping and the bugs were horrible. :icon_twisted:

BabbyO
08-01-2013, 12:29 PM
And... I got really into Lachlann's party theme this year (Super Mario) and have been working my butt off with decorations, food, etc. And if it's just a few people, it feels like.. what's the point? I know that's unhealthy thinking, that the point is to make Lachlann happy and to enjoy the crafting myself, that I don't do it to get pats on the back from friends.. but.. yeah.

Anyway.. thanks for listening. :)

Aww that is SO frustrating, and very rude. I'm angry for you!

However, I want to mention that last year we went ALL OUT for a party that was one family and it was by far the BEST party we'd had to that point. It was SO good, that this year for Stachio's birthday, we only invited that family - Again it was a blast - probably better than last year's. Sometimes going all out for a smaller crowd is even more fun because you get to enjoy the party more! I hope you have a Fabulous time!