PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me on Lands End's Coats!

ourbabygirl
08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm looking at options for fleece, rain, and winter coats for our kids (will be 3 and 5 this fall/ winter), and I'm thinking that LE might be a good option since we have a lot of them locally (kids can try on in-store or I can return to the store w/o paying shipping), & we can use a coupon. They have so many choices on their website, though, that it's a bit overwhelming.

Could you comment on the differences between any of these coats, and which are the better ones?

Rain coats (lots of options)

Fleece: ThermaCheck 100 vs. 200 vs. Polartec Aircore 200

Winter coats:
Stormer Jacket
Squall Waterproof Jacket
Squall 3-in-1 Waterproof Parka
f(x) Ski Jacket (this might be too small for DD)
Waterproof Squall Parka
Squall Parka

DD wears about a size 6 or 7, but will probably need a 7-8 (hopefully not larger!) this fall/ winter. She's about 46" tall, so might need a longer coat? She's going to preschool (3 hours) 3 times a week, so she'll be outside a bit when they play on the playground. Otherwise she's just home with me playing, running errands, etc. I hope to take her skiing once or twice this winter (haven't done this yet), and ice skating a bit, as well, and of course, sledding. We live in the midwest, and temps can go well below zero, but we'll mostly be playing outside if it's 20 degrees or above.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help in deciphering the differences!

Kindra178
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Just got ds1 the thermacheck 200 in an 8. He is 50 inches and 51 pounds. He has plenty of room in it. Seems perfect for early fall.

Squall parkas are popular around here. They run big and boxy. I got one for ds1 last year in a 7 and it was comically huge.

I prefer llb rainwear.

fedoragirl
08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
We have the LE bibs and Squall parkas because they were being clearanced out when I bought them. I usually size up but shouldn't have for either items. The Squall Parka is plenty warm although it doesn't look it. Definitely big and boxy. DD is 41 inches tall at 3.5 years and very skinny so I do have to layer a bit to keep her warm in a boxy coat.
I have never bought rain gear from them so can't comment on that.

westwoodmom04
08-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I stopped buying Lands End winter coats because the sleeves run too narrow and my kids are skinny. The whole coat would wind up inside out because they would have to tug so hard on the sleeve to get it off, otherwise, the quality was good. The boy's rain jackets are nice, the girl's are a bit too baggy for my tast.

KrisM
08-06-2013, 07:23 PM
DS1 has an older style. I think it's a sport squall? Anyhow, he's 54" and last year still wore a 5/6! He was in size 8 pants and medium tops. He'll need something bigger this year. DS2 has the same style and is 44" and wore the size 4 last year. Not sure if he can wear it again this year or not. I don't think you need to size up.

Kindra178
08-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't know anything about it, as I think it is new this year, but the Stormer Jacket is exactly the kind of jacket my kids seem to prefer, especially ds1. Not too puffy, not too long, soft and not cumbersome. I wonder if they got the sizing right and it's as warm as they are claiming. Even DH prefers a jacket like that!

StantonHyde
08-08-2013, 10:23 PM
My kids have had squall jackets for everyday wear for years. The coats wash up like a dream and last forever. They even use them skiing now. I do not like the jackets that are 3 in one. They are too bulky, the liners squiggle around etc.