PDA

View Full Version : It's a Bus, People!!

StantonHyde
08-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Or "I Hate Resort Towns".... Park City was having its annual art show. I took the kids up for the day--they have a great kids section and my kids are old enough now to like the art. Plus there is plenty of ice cream etc to keep them somewhat happy. They have 3 main parking sites and then you take a shuttle bus to where the festival is located. They just use the park city buses so they keep the same route. Yes, the bus is crowded and you have to stand, which is always a little odd, but not impossible.

On the way back to the parking area, I thought I was going to lose it. There was one lady standing behind me dripping in diamonds who had her face so tightly screwed up that I just wanted to say, "yes, it sucks not to be in the Bentley, doesn't it?". There was a man standing behind her who was older and a laborer--he didn't smell bad. He had to get off at one stop. The bus stopped and he turned to her smiling and tried to get past her to get off. She just stood there like "it's not where I need to be, what else could be going on?". The bus driver shut the bus door and somebody had to yell to say that this guy needed off. When the door shut, the lady yelled "ow" because the bar bumped her bum. Seriously??

There were other adults on the bus saying things like, "ooh, I thought we were going to tip over going around that turn" "where are we going?". I explained to the DCs that this is a city bus and that we are going on the bus route--thus the reason we are stopping at places that are OBVIOUSLY bus stops--you know--signs, waiting huts, etc. I get that I might have to explain this to young children--and as soon as I told them, they got it. But to the adults??

I finally just off at the stop before mine and walked to where our car was because I was afraid I was going to smack someone. It's a bus--seriously, these people have NEVER taken mass transit in their lives? They don't get the idea that people get off at different places? They were very clearly city buses.

The Salt Lake Arts Festival is huge too and there are TONS of people--who are convivial and kind and chatty. And you see all types of people--I like the people watching the best. Next year, maybe I will skip the Park City fest...

elizabethkott
08-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Ugh! That would have driven me nutso!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crl
08-05-2013, 12:13 AM
OMG, I would love to see those people on a San Francisco city bus. Dh once saw a passenger attempt to board in Chinatown with a live chicken. When the bus driver said, "no livestock on the bus" the person got off, wrung the chicken's neck and got back on saying, "it's groceries now." :ROTFLMAO:Diamond lady might have fainted.

Catherine

StantonHyde
08-05-2013, 12:38 AM
OMG, I would love to see those people on a San Francisco city bus. Dh once saw a passenger attempt to board in Chinatown with a live chicken. When the bus driver said, "no livestock on the bus" the person got off, wrung the chicken's neck and got back on saying, "it's groceries now." :ROTFLMAO:Diamond lady might have fainted.

Catherine

oh.my.gawd. :hysterical: Even as the farm kid that I am, I would have been :47: That is just awesome for some bizarre reason.....

Yeah, diamond lady would not have done well.....

And FTR--I have some diamonds and I like to wear them. I know a woman who built a great plumbing supply business with her husband---she was the most awesome, down to earth person ever. She cleaned her own toilets--while wearing diamonds. But this lady....

belovedgandp
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Ah, that is totally awesome.... chicken story.

Festivals can bring out the stupid in people. My kids too would have been asking questions, but they are kids and should be.

Ms B
08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Dh once saw a passenger attempt to board in Chinatown with a live chicken. When the bus driver said, "no livestock on the bus" the person got off, wrung the chicken's neck and got back on saying, "it's groceries now."

I think that this may be the quote of the day . . . one of my co-workers lives in farm country and they have chickens of their own . . . this may make her snort water out of her nose!!

crl
08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
The thing I love best about the chicken story is that I get to tell it, but didn't have to see it. ;)

Catherine