PDA

View Full Version : Weight training exercises at home?

JustMe
08-05-2013, 01:24 AM
If you do weight training exercises at home, what exactly do you do (feel free to point me to a webpage). I need to add some weight training, but can't get to a gym. Thanks!

3blackcats
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I've started with the iPad app You Are Your Own Gym. Minimal equipment as you use your own body weight. I love it so far.

pastrygirl
08-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm in the middle of Drop Two Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove. You need dumbbells, and that's about it. I ended up getting a kettlebell, too, but it's not necessary. The book has a few TRX exercises, but the DVD uses substitutions because they only use dbs/kbs and a mat. I had started New Rules of Lifting for Women and took a break to do D2S, so I already had the start of arm muscles... but they are way bigger now! My abs are showing, too. Don't judge the book by it's hokey cover, though! If you use heavy enough weight (I use 20-35lb dumbbells, sometimes 100+ if I grab my barbell) it IS a serious weight workout.

ETA: I forgot that you'll also need a step of some sort, around 18". I used a workout bench but just bought an 18" Plyo box.

StantonHyde
11-20-2013, 02:43 AM
I just use dumb bells and can do almost everything I do at the gym. I got the book "Weightlifting for Dummies". It has a great basic routine. The other good book with variety is 30 Day Shed by Jillian (whats her name from biggest loser--Michaels??)

egoldber
11-20-2013, 07:29 AM
I had great success following the weight training routines in The Body Sculpting Body for Women http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Bible-Women-Third-Edition/dp/1578264014 .

I also like the 30 Day Shred DVD and a bit less intense is Lift Weights to Lose Weight.