PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Use your %(# #!&^ Turn Signal

jal
08-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Came really %@$@ close to having an interstate speed accident today. I was one a three lane interstate moving out of the "fast" lane to allow a car to pass just as a car in the "slow" lane decides to change into the middle lane nearly side swiping me. Of course he never saw me because I was in his blind spot (two lanes over). But if he would have simply used a turn signal the way you are supposed to when changing lanes, I would have never moved over at the same time and we wouldn't have had a near miss.

liz
08-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I hate that too. Sounds like my daily commute :32:. Glad to hear you are OK though.

elizabethkott
08-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Ok. I HATE that people around here don't seem to understand the function of the turn signal. It's not there for the driver's pleasure- it's there for OTHER PEOPLE, so they know what you intend to do!!! There is a stupid triangle near us with funky yields (people also don't seem to understand the definition of "yield", either, but that's a separate bitch) where you really really do have to use your signal to communicate your intent otherwise a massive accident could occur, or traffic backs up due to someone waiting until they are sure they can go... It's so frustrating! I've lived in this area my entire life, and its only within the past five years that the general population seems to have become signal deficient.
Drives me NUTS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
WARNING - Sarcasm ahead:

Turn signals are purely decorative, didn't you know?

(OK, sarcasm off.)

I hate it. When I forget to signal, I always feel wrong.

Mommy_Mea
08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Came really %@$@ close to having an interstate speed accident today. I was one a three lane interstate moving out of the "fast" lane to allow a car to pass just as a car in the "slow" lane decides to change into the middle lane nearly side swiping me. Of course he never saw me because I was in his blind spot (two lanes over). But if he would have simply used a turn signal the way you are supposed to when changing lanes, I would have never moved over at the same time and we wouldn't have had a near miss.

That happened to me driving to a friend's baby shower a few weeks ago. If hadn't slammed on the brakes and done some fancy maneuvering, it would have been very bad. I was a shaky disaster the rest of the day. Near misses at that speed are terrifying, glad you are okay!

hellokitty
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Ugh, I was in a really similar situation a few months ago, so I totally get how frustrating and annoying this is. My parents and my kids were with me and I was fuming that the other driver was a total a-hole (he just kept on merging into the lane and I had to swerve to avoid us colliding, he was on a cell phone and seemed completely oblivious that he almost crashed into a minivan). To add to it, my stupid dad, who was in the passenger seat and didn't even know what was happening until i swerved, started yelling at me and telling me I was not being a defensive driver and it was all my fault. Grrrrr! This, coming from the person who is the one who doesn't signal and makes everyone swerve around him to avoid accidents. I often wish I had the ability to text a swear word to the other drivers who are jerks.

sariana
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I totally agree with you. However, around here, using the turn signal seems to mean, "Please speed up to fill in that space so that I can't get over after all." So I kind of understand why people don't use their signals when changing lanes. Kind of.

twowhat?
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I totally agree with you. However, around here, using the turn signal seems to mean, "Please speed up to fill in that space so that I can't get over after all." So I kind of understand why people don't use their signals when changing lanes. Kind of.

Ain't that the truth...people are just jerks on the road:( OP, glad you are OK. It also drives me insane when people don't use their turn signal. Cars should be equipped to send data online to the insurance companies every time a turn is made without the turn signal on. Followed by exponential increases in the owner's insurance.

crl
08-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Yes. I learned to drive in the Midwest, where for the most part people made room if I signaled. Then I moved to the DC area where they sped up to cut me off. :(. Ugh.

OPer, I hear you though. Signals are so important for everyone to stay safe.

Catherine

sariana
08-05-2013, 10:50 PM
OP, I had ETA'd a comment that I was glad you were okay and how near misses leave me shaken, but for some reason it didn't post. I didn't mean to seem callous. I was having trouble with the system earlier and didn't realize until now (hours later) that my additional comments never showed up.