PDA

View Full Version : Warm, thick socks?

Kymberley
08-06-2013, 09:33 AM
DS is wearing a little kid size 12 shoe. I need warm/thick socks for the Fall/Winter seasons. Wool and wool blends are fine, but I don't want to break the bank on socks for a 4 year old. What brands do we like and where do we buy them?

Kindra178
08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
We live in Chicago and my kids are outside All.The.Time. They don't care for the expensive smartwool socks I have tried. In the past, we have used TCP, Gap, or Hanes from Target. This year I got some LE ones which the boys seem to like (although we haven't worn socks that much). They seem very well made and seem to fit well, especially as compared to Hanes. For us, I feel like shoes keep their feet warmer. My guys generally wear Keen winter shoes, which are Keen weatherproof hiking shoes for every day wear. This year I got the Keen Alamosa from the Nordstrom sale. In years past, they have worn the Gypsum, Targhee or Skyline.

Kymberley
08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
We live in Chicago and my kids are outside All.The.Time. They don't care for the expensive smartwool socks I have tried. In the past, we have used TCP, Gap, or Hanes from Target. This year I got some LE ones which the boys seem to like (although we haven't worn socks that much). They seem very well made and seem to fit well, especially as compared to Hanes. For us, I feel like shoes keep their feet warmer. My guys generally wear Keen winter shoes, which are Keen weatherproof hiking shoes for every day wear. This year I got the Keen Alamosa from the Nordstrom sale. In years past, they have worn the Gypsum, Targhee or Skyline.

Thanks, Kindra. I just got DS some Keen Clayton waterproof hiking boots for the cooler seasons (he, too, is always outside!). He's been in Hanes socks from Target since infancy, lol. I'll check out LE socks. Thanks for the rec! I regret not stocking up on GAP socks a few years ago when they had the most adorable wool-looking, thick socks that held up like a dream.

cookiemonster80
08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I just bought some super thick Naartije knee socks at the outlet for $1.50. Haven't worn them yet but am really excited about them.

MontrealMum
08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
DS does XC skiing in the winter and we really like SmartWool socks for that. They're warm, but not too bulky. You can get them online at a lot of places including REI, and the Rack often has them deeply discounted as well.

lizzywednesday
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I love SmartWool for DD and for myself as well.

My mother scouts Sierra Trading Post for kids' sizes this time of year for reasonable prices.

NCGrandma
08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I love SmartWool for DD and for myself as well.

My mother scouts Sierra Trading Post for kids' sizes this time of year for reasonable prices.

We are all big Smartwool fans. (After the first time I bought them for her, DGD1 announced that "Grandma ALWAYS buys Smartwool socks for Christmas!!") I've had good luck at REI's in-store summer clearance sales -- not surprisingly, there are really good bargains on wool socks in NC in July and August!

infomama
08-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Smartwool are the absolute best socks I have ever owned. We all wear them.