PDA

View Full Version : Advice for taking a 18mo to DW

luli13
08-06-2013, 03:30 PM
We are planning a trip to DW in November. We are currently deciding between a standard room at the Polynesian or a one bedroom villa at Boardwalk. So, closer to MK with a smaller room or taking a bus to MK but have more space? We won't be making food in the room so the kitchen isn't necessary for us in the villa.
Our main concern is our 16 mo (will be 18mo when we go) and how he will sleep at night. He IS NOT sleep in the stroller kinda kid (though he might be if he doesnt have a choice and is exhausted). We have a very loud 4 year old daughter who we are afraid will wake up little DS if we don't have separate sleeping spaces (which is why the villa would be awesome).
I'm just overall anxious about taking our little guy. The thought of flying with him stresses me out... Him sleeping at night without being woken up...
Anyone leave their toddler with grandparents and just take the older sibling?
Tell me if I'm stressing over nothing and/or I'll have a blast with DS along. Give me some toddler tips in DW while you are at it.

Philly Mom
08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I can't give toddler DW tips but will say that when we travel with my DD who is 2, we all do better with separate sleeping spaces. We are planning a DW trip for Feb and we are staying in a villa/suite for that reason alone. We have traveled a ton with her including on a plane many times. Planes are the easy part (it has to end sometime). Each trip has been easy except for the nights when we have shared a room.

luli13
08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I can't give toddler DW tips but will say that when we travel with my DD who is 2, we all do better with separate sleeping spaces. We are planning a DW trip for Feb and we are staying in a villa/suite for that reason alone. We have traveled a ton with her including on a plane many times. Planes are the easy part (it has to end sometime). Each trip has been easy except for the nights when we have shared a room.

Thank you Philly Mom! You reinforced what my gut was telling me. Separate sleeping space will probably win out on this DW trip while DS is so small.

Anyone leave their toddler home while taking their older one(s)? I feel sort of guilty not taking him because when we look back at family pictures from our first Disney trip he won't be in them.

acmom
08-06-2013, 11:08 PM
We took each of our kids when they were 17 months - we had a blast both times! We made returning to the room for nap a priority each time, as our kids were big on their routines and taking a long nap each day. We had breakfast in the room, went to the park early, did park, had lunch in park and returned for nap. Then we did the pool and dinner post nap. It worked out great. I would take everyone and relax as much as possible and enjoy the trip! We didn't cover as much ground in the park each day those trips, but it was so much fun to watch their reactions! I would want to have the whole family, especially on your first trip.

As far as the rooms, I think either would work. We did a room at the Poly the 2nd trip (DD was 3 and DS was 17 months). We wanted to be on the monorail and close to MK since we were going there the most, returning for naps, and using a double stroller. We enjoyed the Poly...beach and pool were fun and it was great to see fireworks from the beach. We used the balcony when the kids were asleep and one of us took DD to the beach, pool, or to get snacks if she wasn't sleeping during DS's nap. I haven't stayed at Boardwalk, but I'm sure the villa would be great too and if you are really worried about the sleeping, it sounds like a good option.

HTH!

ETA: With all the excitement and activity, both kids fell asleep easily each night (as did DH and I) so all in one room wasn't too bad.

luli13
08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
We took each of our kids when they were 17 months - we had a blast both times! We made returning to the room for nap a priority each time, as our kids were big on their routines and taking a long nap each day. We had breakfast in the room, went to the park early, did park, had lunch in park and returned for nap. Then we did the pool and dinner post nap. It worked out great. I would take everyone and relax as much as possible and enjoy the trip! We didn't cover as much ground in the park each day those trips, but it was so much fun to watch their reactions! I would want to have the whole family, especially on your first trip.

As far as the rooms, I think either would work. We did a room at the Poly the 2nd trip (DD was 3 and DS was 17 months). We wanted to be on the monorail and close to MK since we were going there the most, returning for naps, and using a double stroller. We enjoyed the Poly...beach and pool were fun and it was great to see fireworks from the beach. We used the balcony when the kids were asleep and one of us took DD to the beach, pool, or to get snacks if she wasn't sleeping during DS's nap. I haven't stayed at Boardwalk, but I'm sure the villa would be great too and if you are really worried about the sleeping, it sounds like a good option.

HTH!

ETA: With all the excitement and activity, both kids fell asleep easily each night (as did DH and I) so all in one room wasn't too bad.

Thanks acmom!
This is what I was telling DH last night: we need to relax! It is vacation after all! I don't think this first trip to DW is the trip to be all stressed about seeing everything at the parks. It's just not going to happen with two young ones in tow.

billysmommy
08-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Anyone leave their toddler home while taking their older one(s)? I feel sort of guilty not taking him because when we look back at family pictures from our first Disney trip he won't be in them.

We left Ds2 at home the first time we went to WDW. Ds1 was 4.5 and Ds2 was 18 months. DH had a conference in Orlando and wouldn't be going to the parks with us during the day. I really didn't want to try to handle both boys at the parks by myself so we left Ds2 with my parents. I felt guilty at first but Ds1 and I had such a magical trip together and we wouldn't have been able to do half the things we did if we had brought Ds2 since DH wasn't with us.