PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have to take Flagyl while pregnant?

boogiemomz
08-10-2013, 08:51 AM
So, last week was totally miserable. Developed UTI symptoms on Monday but urine culture was negative for everything. Super. I demanded antibiotics anyway because I was in a pretty bad way, got Bactrim and it didn't help. Went back in Thursday afternoon with no relief, that day the culture was positive for yeast and bacteria (because I've been having crazy itching to boot. Yay.). I could have thrown a party that they actually found something to treat. They called in diflucan and flagyl. But when I called DH, elated that we were finally on the right track, he was immediately concerned that diflucan is category B, and there's some evidence that Flagyl is carcinogenic to fetuses (he is an MD and also happens to be totally paranoid). But I'm finally starting to feel better. I know I need this, and I know you weigh benefit to the mother vs. risk to the fetus, but he's got me feeling all guilty. What if I'm actually harming the baby?? Anyone BTDT? (Probably only taking 1 dose of diflucan, so not as worried about that. Flagyl is 2x/day x 7 days.)

Melbel
08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
So, last week was totally miserable. Developed UTI symptoms on Monday but urine culture was negative for everything. Super. I demanded antibiotics anyway because I was in a pretty bad way, got Bactrim and it didn't help. Went back in Thursday afternoon with no relief, that day the culture was positive for yeast and bacteria (because I've been having crazy itching to boot. Yay.). I could have thrown a party that they actually found something to treat. They called in diflucan and flagyl. But when I called DH, elated that we were finally on the right track, he was immediately concerned that diflucan is category B, and there's some evidence that Flagyl is carcinogenic to fetuses (he is an MD and also happens to be totally paranoid). But I'm finally starting to feel better. I know I need this, and I know you weigh benefit to the mother vs. risk to the fetus, but he's got me feeling all guilty. What if I'm actually harming the baby?? Anyone BTDT? (Probably only taking 1 dose of diflucan, so not as worried about that. Flagyl is 2x/day x 7 days.)

Flagyl is one of the worst antibiotics for flaring yeast, so it may actually do more harm than good. If you take it, be sure to also use high quality probiotics. DD2 was on Flagyl at age 4, so I know it is used in young children. I know this is not directly answering your question, but it is all I have! It is not easy weighing the risk/benefits during pregnancy.

liamsmom
08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
I took Flagyl while I was pregnant with DS. I had BV--went into the office and it was confirmed. My CNM prescribed Flagyl and I recall her mentioning that it was one of the few antibiotics safe for a pregnant woman to take. I'm sorry, it was 4 years ago and I don't remember the dosage. Sorry I can't offer you more, but my DS was born without complications and like you said, I felt better as soon as I started taking the stuff. I hope you feel better soon.

boogiemomz
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely pick up some probiotics, used to take them but haven't in a while. It does say on the bottle not to take while breastfeeding, but doesn't mention pregnancy. Thanks for the "everything was fine" story too, liamsmom. :)