PDA

View Full Version : Just doesn't get "developmentally appropriate".

twowhat?
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Kids' behavior: normal behaviors that you'd expect from a preschooler. Whining. Crying. Tantrums. Not listening.

DH's behavior: Yelling. Yelling. More Yelling. About how they're not babies anymore. And how they need to listen 100% of the time. And how they are supposed to use their words and not whine or cry. Ever.

Uuuuuugh someone hand me a caseload of beer!!! I am so SICK and TIRED of the YELLING!!! And of course when he yells, they cry. He doesn't seem to get that either and just spits back "if you don't want me to yell, don't cry".

Sigh. I didn't sign up for 3 kids.

ArizonaGirl
08-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I totally get this at my house too.

It doesn't help matters any that DS has ADHD and has atypical behavior, but DH yelling and over-reacting to the situation does NOT help anything.

Isn't it great when DH turns into a DC :nono:

KpbS
08-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Sending hugs! :hug:

BunnyBee
08-12-2013, 12:30 PM
That doesn't sound healthy for you or the kids. I'm sorry. :(

bisous
08-12-2013, 03:52 PM
That is so obnoxious! My thing is, even IF your children were total brats (and it does not at ALL sound like they are!) how is yelling an acceptable or helpful response to that? I think your DH is the one who is not developmentally appropriate, lol. Maybe pointing that out will help him come up with a new strategy to "reform" your kids that won't get on your nerves so badly!

elektra
08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
That sucks and it just makes it even worse for you having to deal with all three of their outbursts!!

twowhat?
08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
The annoying thing is that we've talked about this before and he agreed that yelling doesn't get us anywhere (and essentially teaches them that yelling is an appropriate solution to working out problems) and agreed to a strategy where if he felt that he needed to yell, that he would tell the girls that he was going to walk away before he yelled and they could discuss it later (essentially put himself in a time-out, LOL). He was doing well with that strategy until this weekend.

And you know what I think the reason is? He's grumpy. Because he's tired. Because he is staying up TOO D@MN LATE reading because he finally got hooked on the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Series.