PDA

View Full Version : favorite board games

boilermakermom
08-11-2013, 10:49 PM
what are you favorite board games for kids? i am buying gifts for a 6 year old girl and she is really getting into board games. so far i have scrabble jr. and trouble.

any others?

ahisma
08-11-2013, 11:36 PM
My DS is 6. His current favorites are:

Yahtzee
Sequence kids (age is 3-6, but he adores it still)
Sorry
No Stress Chess
Ticket to Ride

ncat
08-11-2013, 11:37 PM
What DD likes is guided by what we are willing to play with her.

DD has liked backgammon for a few years. We like Blokus a lot (but never play it because I'm terrified DS1 will lose any of the little pieces and ruin the game). Uno - not really a board game - is one of our favorites as is Bananagrams. Sequence for Kids is good, but probably a bit young for a 6 year old.

KrisM
08-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry
Chess
Blokus 3D
Monopoly
Yahtzee
Tenzi

None of us were fans of Scrabble Jr. Have you played it? We found it very long and not exciting. It's the same words over and over. Personally, waiting a couple years and playing regular Scrabble was much better.

vonfirmath
08-12-2013, 10:22 AM
We've been playing games with my son since he was 2 years old.
There is some truth to the Kids love the games their parents will play with them

Favorites now that he is just-turned 6. (And I notice our next door neighbor likes playing when she comes over too):
Tsuro -- really an adult game but fun for a younger child to play as well. (My son started playing at 4.5 when we were given the game from a cousin.)

Family Fluxx (nice quick card game that can be played with as few as two. We play with this version because it is a bit simplified, plus has the special Child/Parent/Grandparent rule cards that tickle my son's fancy)

Yahtzee Jr. (we have the Mickey Mouse version. its a LOT different from regular Yahtzee but still rather fun)

Snail's Pace Race by Ravensburger

The game he got for his birthday is Pizza Fractions Fun http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Pizza-Fraction-Game/dp/B00009XNTF/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1376316368&sr=1-1&keywords=pizza+fraction+fun+game (which is intriguing enough it has his 10 year old cousin wanting to play it with him. They have a game playing date set for August 24)

Kids of Carcassone http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RGG388-Carcassonne/dp/B002CJCQ9K/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1376317138&sr=1-1&keywords=kids+of+carcassonne+game (We did NOT pay >$100 for it though!)

Animal Upon Animal

He also loves playing Rummikub with me. But this is a case of wanting to play it because we do, I'm sure. Its a huge favorite with my parents, etc. When we play, we pretty much play open hands and I help him with his turns.

Games I want to get in the future:
Apples & Apples Kids 7+
Gobblet Gobblers http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-103-Gobblet-Gobblers/dp/B001TMXDMK/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1376316766&sr=1-2&keywords=gobblet (I'd get Gobblet instead except we have a 2 year old as well and I think this game would be more appealing for her)
Spot it (I almost bought this for the next door neighbor for her 6th birthday, but decided to go with Friends Lego instead)
My son is fascinated by Ravensburger's Enchanted Forest Game http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Enchanted-Forest-Family-Game/dp/B00001OK75/ref=pd_sim_t_42

wendibird22
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
New fav of 6yo DD1 is Sorry (though they've changed it from the version when I was a kid).
Uno
Skip-bo (good for practicing ordinal numbers but can incorporate strategy for older kids)

egoldber
08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
We love board and card games and have a lot of them. My 6 year old's favs....

Sorry
Life (excruciating to me, but she loves it)
checkers
Uno
Uno Attack
Go Fish (we have a few different "themed" versions)
Trouble
Monopoly Jr.
Spot It
Blink
Mystery Garden (Ravensburger game)

And I have to agree with the PP who said that Scrabble Jr. is just not that fun.

nupe
08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Ticket to ride (learned about it on BBB), huge hit for 5 and 8 yo to play together

Sequence for kids

mommylamb
08-12-2013, 03:10 PM
On our vacation in June, we played a lot of Apples to Apples kids with DS1 and his friend (our friends' daughter, who was there with us). It was fun for kids and adults.

Seitvonzu
08-12-2013, 03:12 PM
we picked up "catan jr." on clearance at target and it's really fun. i actually enjoy playing it and it has me interested in breaking out the grownup version that my brother gave my husband for christmas

i have a game player too-- i think i'll look up ticket to ride for her :) we had "enchanted forest" when i was a kid (my mother still has it). love that game!

KpbS
08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Monopoly Junior (not nearly as long as regular monopoly and better for shorter attention spans). My guys love UNO too although a card game, not a board game.

anamika
08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
These are not exactly board games but DD loved these at 6 yo and they are multi-player games so just sharing in case you are looking for other ideas:

Pengoloo
Clever Castle (this is not a multi-player game)
Set
Uno
Scrabble Jr (she likes it though the adults all think it is really boring)
City Square off
Rat a tat cat
Sleeping Grump

lkarp
08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
None of us were fans of Scrabble Jr. Have you played it? We found it very long and not exciting. It's the same words over and over. Personally, waiting a couple years and playing regular Scrabble was much better.

We were also not fans of Scrabble, Jr. The girls (ages 5 and8) were both frustrated and bored with the game.

Our favorites have been:
Sorry
Rat-a-tat-cat
Uno
Jenga
Zingo
Blokus

FYI Michaels is having a clearance sale on Gamewright games. I picked up Zingo for 7.99, Slamwich for around 5.00, and Gobblet Gobblers for 9.99.

Gena
08-13-2013, 12:47 PM
DS enjoys:

Sorry
Trouble
Yahtzee
Monopoly
Battleship
Dominoes