PDA

View Full Version : Now in denim! (See post 11) If you own the Bettona boyfriend pants (Athleta)...

citymama
08-12-2013, 04:15 AM
...do you wear the bottom of the pants cinched or uncinched?

My regular Bettona BF pants are about 1.5 inches too long for me - and I trip over them, especially the cord when cinched. But I need to cinch it so I don't trip over the extra fabric. So far I've only worn these pants at home (and I telecommute, so that's a lot of time!) but could not wear these to exercise or run about with kids because of the length. Athleta does free hemming, so I could take them in, but my store manager said that with these pants, I would lose the cinch feature - they'd become straight hems like the Bettona classics.

The regular length classics work for me, somehow - probably because there isn't a cord to trip over, and because I wear them out with short heels rather than flats. I tend to wear them less often than the BFs because I love those cargo pockets. The Bettona BF capris are absolutely perfect in every way. :) I tried on the petite BF pants in the store but they're like 3 inches shorter than the classics, so they're about an inch and a half above where they would end if regular length.

I'm around 5'5.5" or 5'6" tall. About a 30" inseam usually.

So, what to do? Get the regular BF pants hemmed and lose the cinch? Buy the petites and wear them a bit short? Advice welcome! Thanks!

ETA Please see post 11 for breaking news for all Bettona BF fans!

BabyDahl
08-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I had the boyfriend capris hemmed and they kept the cinch drawstring. Maybe double check with them that they really couldn't keep it. In the meantime, can you knot the drawstring cord once cinched? Might keep the loop from tripping you.

BabyDahl
08-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Forgot to add that they told me I was the first person to request hemming on the capris, but several people have had the full length pants hemmed. I'm sure they were annoyed with my request to have 4 pairs different pants hemmed...

lcarlson90
08-12-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't wear mine cinched but I ordered the Petite length and they fit just perfect. I am sure you can have them hemmed if you would prefer to wear them un-cinched.

hillview
08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
not cinched. I wear regular length and am 5'10"

citymama
08-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't wear mine cinched but I ordered the Petite length and they fit just perfect. I am sure you can have them hemmed if you would prefer to wear them un-cinched.

Thanks all. How tall are you, lcarlson90? Maybe I should get the petites since I'm 4-5" shorter than hillview and can't possibly be wearing the same length of pants!

While I have all of you here - what's your fave color for the BFs? I have solid black classics and capris and bought the BFs in the midnight blue, which isn't available in petites. Anyone have the olive or indigo heather?

lcarlson90
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Citymama - I am 5'2"

citymama
08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Citymama - I am 5'2"

OK, so you're a true petite. Thanks.

theriviera
08-13-2013, 01:33 AM
I have the Xs regular and I wear them uncinched. I'm 5'3" but have long legs.

citymama
08-13-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm amazed by this: hillview is 5'10" and riviera is 5'3" and can wear the same length of pants - but I'm right in the middle of that range and find the XS regulars too long! I think it's bc I wear them cinched and the cord gets in the way.

citymama
08-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Wait a minute - they just introduced the Bettona BFs in DENIM (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=919165002&tid=atpl000001&kwid=1&ap=7&sem=true&mkwid=cJs7fjn5_dc&adid=tbbtyr_Cebqhpg&pcrid=22560277170) (also the classics (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=919115)) - has anyone else seen that? Whoa nellie, this could be life changing!

keh602
08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Ohhhhh, no no no. This could be dangerous.

In related news, I just met some new neighbors at the bus stop, and the wife and I were both wearing black Bettona Boyfriends. I think we might get along well. :)

firstbaby
08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Citymama, if my DH were technical at all, he would try to figure out a way for my browser to block your posts. Between the cozy gillets, Athleta F&F, other Boden items and now this Athleta treasure, I am in trouble :)

twowhat?
08-13-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a Bettona question. I've wanted to try the Classics but the reviews make it sound like the rise is pretty low. Can anyone comment on the rise? I need at least a medium rise in order for the waistband to hit high enough above my c-section/twinskin flap, otherwise I will just have a flap of skin hanging over the waist which is uncomfortable and unattractive.

citymama
08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Citymama, if my DH were technical at all, he would try to figure out a way for my browser to block your posts. Between the cozy gillets, Athleta F&F, other Boden items and now this Athleta treasure, I am in trouble :)

oh no! you can actually block me via User CP but let's not tell him that!

I have a Bettona question. I've wanted to try the Classics but the reviews make it sound like the rise is pretty low. Can anyone comment on the rise? I need at least a medium rise in order for the waistband to hit high enough above my c-section/twinskin flap, otherwise I will just have a flap of skin hanging over the waist which is uncomfortable and unattractive.

I find the Bettonas to be mid-rise rather than low - but like yoga pants, you can pull them where you want them to sit. I wear them at mid-rise, just under my belly button. I am not a fan of the low-rise any more!

inmypjs
08-13-2013, 03:47 PM
I am 5'8" and I also wear the regular length. I would prefer another inch or so, but was afraid that if I ordered the tall I'd have to hem them, and I didn't want to deal with that. I don't wear them cinched because I like a wider leg. I also saw the boyfriend style comes in denim! I'm going to have to have those.

MelissaTC
08-13-2013, 05:41 PM

I have the classics and a pooch. I carry my weight in my tummy and usually shy away from anything low rise. I don't find these low at all. Hth!

firstbaby
08-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Oh, no Citymama - I can't block you - I love everything you recommend :) BTW - if anyone is looking for another pant recommendation similar to the Bettona, try the Pilayo Dipper Pants. I got them today and LOVE them. Similar in styling to me as Bettona Classics except with flap pockets instead of patch pockets, but on sale right now for $49.99 in certain colors.